🎂 Turned 31 this year? Get health insurance before your price rises.
Get cover

The benefits of using tax agents or tax accountants

A tax agent or accountant can help you lodge your tax return, claim more deductions and get you more tax back.

Using a professional tax accountant has many benefits. Tax returns can be tricky, and tax agents can help you prepare and submit your tax return. They are generally accountants registered to provide tax-related advice. Tax agents liaise closely with their clients to help them claim as many deductions as possible and get the biggest tax return. They can also help and provide advice for managing your taxes throughout the year.

Choosing a tax agent

Updated June 18th, 2018
Name Product Income Item Fees (Wages) Deduction Item Fees Payment Options
Unlimited items: $99
Credit/Debit card
Pay with your tax refund (no upfront payment)
Option to pay with your tax refund for an extra fee of $20. Lodge individual & company tax returns. Fast online form & free live chat.
Unlimited income items: $79
$0 when you purchase the $49 income package
Credit/Debit card
Pay with your tax refund (no upfront payment)
Option to pay with your tax refund for an extra fee of $33. Lodge individual & company tax returns. Fast online form & free live chat
Unlimited income items: $99
$0 for up to 2 deductions
$29 for additional deductions
Credit/Debit card
Pay with your tax refund (no upfront payment)
Option to pay with your tax refund for an extra fee of $29. Online and in-person tax services for individuals, sole traders and companies.
Unlimited income items: $69
$0 for up to $1000 of deductions
$41 for more than $1000 of deductions
Credit/Debit card
Lodge individual & company tax returns online or in-person. Fast online form with additional options to complete tax returns for investment properties, sole trader tax and share investments.
Unlimited income items (for income over $20k): $110
$140 for deductions over $2000
Credit/Debit card
Bank Transfer
Pay with your tax refund (no upfront payment)
Option to pay with your tax refund for an extra fee of $33. Lodge returns online, via phone or in person. With expertise in tax, accounting, auditing and bookkeeping, A One is a flexible option currently servicing more than 3000 clients.
Unlimited wage items: $80
Business tax: starting from $250
General deductions: $0
For motor vehicle expenses: $15
Credit/Debit card
A boutique firm that provides personalised experiences for all customers. Ideal option for individuals and small businesses based in Perth.
Unlimited income items: $155
$0 for all work related deductions
Bank transfer
Credit/Debit card
Income item fee includes returns on interest, dividends, Superannuation and pension. Additional bookkeeping, BAS and advisory services also available. A flexible option for individuals, sole traders and companies.

Compare up to 4 providers

What is an accountant?

Accountants are professionals that specialise in expenses, financial audits, and other finance-related information. They may operate independently, providing advice to individuals, or they may operate within a business, performing bookkeeping duties. Accountants can act as tax agents, but in order to do so they must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board.

What is a tax agent?

A tax agent is a specialist you can use to prepare and lodge your tax return. They can represent their client when dealing with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). Tax agents can assist you to get the most money back from your tax return. They must be registered with the overseeing organisation for tax professionals, the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB), to charge a fee for their service. Every tax agent accredited by the TPB meets the Board’s qualification and experience requirements.

Compare tax agents in Australia

There are thousands of registered tax agents in Australia, some of which are listed below. Have a read of this page for information about how to pick a winner.

Tax AgentServicesExtrasCost
Online Tax AustraliaComplete your tax return online for Online Tax Australia to review and lodge. Personal, rental and sole trader tax returns accepted.Pay your tax return from your refund for an administration fee.
  • From $49 for personal tax returns
  • $64 rental property
  • $69 sole trader
More info
H&R BlockH&R Block can complete your return for you or you can do it yourself online and a H&R block tax agent will review your return before sending it off.SMSF tax solutions, reviewing, amending and lodging returns before they’re sent in. H&R Block also offer provide a seniors service.Assisted returns start from $70 for people under 21More info
ITPITP provide tax returns for individuals, sole traders, companies and partnerships.Home loan counselling and financial planning, ITP also offer SMSF and startup business support.Prices are set case by caseMore info
etaxPersonal tax, rental tax, family tax, sole trader, tax returns and more. Etax have a DIY online assisted service twice checked by etax accountants before being sent it.Simple online interface. Tools and calculators for users to make upload and review process easy.
  • Low income earners: $38.50
  • Standard service: $64.90
  • Fast service: $68.90
  • Business service: $167.90
More info
ezytaxonline.com.auAn online tax agency providing personal and business tax solutions.Ezytaxonline specialise in tax returns for backpackers, agent fee can be paid from the refund.
  • Personal: $58
  • Non GST Registered Sole Trader: $108
Taxbackaustralia.com.auSpecialises in super refund tax returns for backpackers and travellers who have worked in Australia.Get a free tax refund estimate, this online tax agent also can help overseas workers claim back superannuation.Prices are set case by case
TaxBackIncome tax refunds for students, travellers, seniors and other individuals, good for people who have been working in the UK and NZ.No tax agent fee if you don’t get a refund. Other services: Tax compliance, royal refunds, contractor services, international payroll and money transfers.9% + handling fee (20% of the 9% fee amount) if your tax refund is over $1100AUD, if refund is less the fee will be $99 + handling fee (20% of the $99 fee, or $19.80). Can be deducted from the refund.More info
NavadoPersonal, company, partnership, trusts, SMSF & NPO tax returns.Novado offer face to face consultation at their offices in 4 major metropolitan areas throughout Sydney.
  • Individual returns: $143
  • Company returns: from $999
  • Trusts: from $999
More info
Tax Return 24/7Personal, rental property, CGT, BAS, Trusts and more.Over the phone tax interview for individuals and businesses.
  • Basic: $99 + $10 fee from refund
  • Sole trader: $250
  • Company: $1,200
More info
Mr. TaxTax return completed over the phone, Mr. Tax provides a simple and fast way to get your tax refund.Tax services for companies and trusts as well as individuals. Mr Tax agent fees can be paid from your refund.Individual tax returns from $99
Backpackers BuddyPersonal, superannuation refund, obtaining a visa, finding employment and BAS.Online tax solution for travellers visiting Australia returns in as little as 12 hours.
  • Fast cashback (12 hours): 19.8% of your refund (min fee $250 + disbursements)
  • Standard service: 11% of your refund (min fee $99 + disbursements)


Tax agents versus accountants - which is best for me?

As mentioned, tax agents are normally TPB-registered accountants. If you require a relatively simple tax return, or if you simply don’t want to complete one yourself, tax agents might be ideal. If, however, you have a business or are an individual with property and significant financial assets, an accountant might be necessary for handling these assets. Broadly, accountants will take their clients' future financial situation into consideration, whereas tax agents will not.

Will using a tax agent help with my tax return?

Online services such as the ATO’s myTax have made preparing and lodging your own tax return possible, if you have the time. Still, unless you’re a tax agent, the yearly tax return can be a chore. A tax agent can help you prepare and submit your tax return, help you maximise your deductions, ensure that your tax return is compliant and can assist with slightly more complicated matters if you have assets. But remember that you are still responsible for your final submitted document. The fee for hiring a tax agent is tax deductible, too.

Key benefits of using a tax agent

  • Takes the stress out of competing your tax return.
  • Saves you time, as they lodge your return for you on your behalf. Completing the form yourself can take hours.
  • Can help get you more tax back by claiming more deductions.
  • You can claim the cost of a tax agent as a deduction the following year.
  • You can wait until into the new year to lodge your return if you use a tax agent. If you do your own tax, your return must be submitted to the ATO before the 31st of October.
  • A tax agent can also provide personal advice in areas of taxation law.
  • Many tax accountants can help lodge your tax return online, without needing to go into their office.

Any cons of using a tax agent?

  • There is a fee for their service
  • They will not provide general financial advice that isn't to do with tax

Tax Agents & AccountantsWhat qualifications should my tax agent have?

Tax agents must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) before they are able to charge for their service. Some practitioners can give advice and act as tax agents without being registered, as long as they are operating under a group that is registered by the TPB.

To be eligible as a registered tax agent, the individual must have a good record with no recent convictions, involvement in tax exploitation, ongoing bankruptcies, or imprisonment. Once registered, practitioners can bear the TPB registered symbol. You can find registered agents by visiting the Tax Practitioners Board website.

How do I find a cheap tax agent or accountant that best meets my needs?

Finding a good tax agent is similar to finding a good quality service of another variety. Seek out many quotes from many different sources and consider the following features:

  • Fees. How much do they charge to complete a basic tax return?
  • Types of returns. Can they perform more complex tax returns, such as those required by SMSFs, small businesses, sole traders and people with various income streams?
  • Credentials. Make sure they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board
  • Qualifications. Check they have a relevant university degree such as accounting, commerce or law and how long they have been operating.
  • Speed. How long will it take them to complete your tax return?
  • Delivery mode. Can they help you online, or do you need to visit their office?
  • Hours of operation. If you work standard business hours, it can be beneficial to find a tax agent open on weekends.
  • Reputation. Do they have good reviews from past clients? Do you have any family and friends that have had a good experience with them?
  • Do they specialise in any area? Some tax agents may specialise in tax returns for students, backpackers, seniors, immigrants and emigrants.

Where are you looking to find a tax agent?

Have a look at tax agents in each of the capital cities.

A checklist of general work related tax deductions.

Read more: Our tax guide for the end of the financial year.

Wait, I have more questions!

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

6 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    TomDecember 8, 2017

    I have a corporation in Australia that owns one property in Sydney. The only income is the monthly rental fee from one tenant and the expenses are that of the maintenance and upkeep of the property. The property has two bank accounts. I need an accountant to do the preparation and lodgement of the company tax returns. How much annual fees am I looking at annually?

    • Staff
      ArnoldDecember 8, 2017Staff

      Hi Tom,

      Thanks for your inquiry

      The fees you’ll be paying will depend on the tax agent handling your case. It would be best to consult with a professional tag agent in order for you to get an estimate of these fees.

      Hope this information helps


  2. Default Gravatar
    JongsoonAugust 31, 2016

    I had income from companies and I worked as a sole trader.
    I have logged through ATO but couldn’t process business part.
    Would you introduce a cheap tax agent?

    • Staff
      ClarizzaAugust 31, 2016Staff

      Hi Jongsoon,

      Thanks for your comment.

      You’re on the right page! You can view tax agents, their services and fees on the table on this page. Or you get in touch directly with a tax agent through here.

      Hope this helps.


  3. Default Gravatar
    RolfJuly 1, 2016

    A client has consulted a tax agent in relation to penalties and interest charged for late returns.

    The agent wishes to charge the normal hourly rate plus a success fee that is a percentage of the penalties which may be remitted.

    Is a success/bonus or contingency fee allowable?

    • Staff
      ClarizzaJuly 4, 2016Staff

      Hi Rolf,

      Thanks for your question.

      The agent is legally able to do this per the Taxation Administration Act which allows you to claim back any expenses incurred by managing tax. You can also claim interest charged by the ATO on late payment of taxes and penalties.

      Please note, as a comparison site, the advice we provide is of a general nature only.

      I hope this helps.


Ask a question
Go to site