Find a tax agent in Hobart to file your income tax return today
Find a tax agent in Hobart to help you get the best results from your income tax return.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you live in Hobart and you need help preparing your income tax return, there are plenty of qualified and experienced tax agents available. With the end of the financial year just around the corner, now is the time to start getting your finances in order and working out how you can maximise your tax return.
Find a tax agent in Hobart
*This is the minimum fee charged for income item tax returns. The price listed on this table is subject to terms and conditions. To find out more or to receive an accurate quote for your tax return, please visit the agent's website to submit an enquiry.
**The products compared on this page are chosen from a range of offers available to us and are not representative of all the products available in the market. There is no perfect order or perfect ranking system for the products we list on our Site, so we provide you with the functionality to self-select, re-order and compare products. The initial display order is influenced by a range of factors including conversion rates, product costs and commercial arrangements, so please don't interpret the listing order as an endorsement or recommendation from us. We're happy to provide you with the tools you need to make better decisions, but we'd like you to make your own decisions and compare and assess products based on your own preferences, circumstances and needs.
How do tax agents in Hobart work?
If you find filing a tax return confusing, difficult and complicated, a tax agent can help. Tax agents are experts about preparing income tax returns for their clients. They can examine your income, assets and expenses to help you provide all the relevant information the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) needs to process your tax return. In addition, your tax agent can help you work out what you can claim as a deduction so as to help you minimise your tax bill and get more money back.
In order to provide tax agent services for a fee in Australia, your agent will need to be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). The TPB website contains a database of registered tax practitioners in Australia, so make sure that any tax agent you’re considering using is fully licensed and registered.
How do I compare tax agents in Hobart?
Before choosing a tax agent to handle your income tax return, research all the available tax agents in Hobart and compare the services they offer. Make sure to consider:
What their fees are
- Check to see how much an agent charges for their services and whether this is affordable.
How much experience they have
- Look for an experienced tax agent who has a reputation for being efficient and trustworthy.
How they can help you
- Does the agent have any expertise when filing a particular type of tax return, for example business tax returns? Can they help you find extra ways to get more money back on your return?
How they prepare your return
- Will you need to visit the tax agent’s office to have your tax return prepared or can it be done online or over the phone?
Whether they offer advice and tips
- Good tax agents will offer you tips to help you minimise tax not only for this financial year but in the future as well.
How long it will take
- Compare when each agent can find an appointment time for you and how long they expect it will take to prepare your tax return.
What areas in Hobart are tax agents available?
Tax agents are essential everywhere, regardless of where you may live in Hobart or around Australia. Happily, tax agents are available all around Hobart, including in the following areas:
- Australia’s second oldest capital city is home to some beautiful heritage buildings and fascinating historical sites. Suburbs in this area include Battery Point, Dynnyrne, Fern Tree, Glebe, Lenah Valley, Mt Nelson, New Town, North Hobart, South Hobart and West Hobart.
- Glenorchy is found about seven kilometres to the north of the Hobart CBD and is bordered in the east by the Derwent River. Some of the suburbs in the Glenorchy area include Glenorchy, Austins Ferry, Berriedale, Chigwell, Claremont, Collinsvale, Derwent Park, Goodwood, Granton, Lutana, Moonah and Rosetta.
The Eastern Shore
- Sitting on the opposite shore of the Derwent River to the Hobart CBD, this region is linked to the city by the Tasman Bridge. Suburbs include Acton Park, Bellerive, Cambridge, Clarendon Vale, Clifton Beach, Geilston Bay, Howrah, Lauderdale, Lindisfarne, Mornington, Richmond, Risdon, Seven Mile Beach and South Arm.
- Brighton is found around 25 kilometres northeast of Hobart. Suburbs in the Brighton municipality include Bridgewater, Gagebrook, Old Beach, Pontville and Tea Tree.
What are the points in favour and against to use a tax agent to file my return?
- It takes the stress out of tax time. Putting together your tax return on your own can be stressful and time consuming, so using a tax agent ensures that your return can be completed with a minimum of fuss.
- You can take advantage of expert knowledge. Filing an income tax return can be a complicated and confusing task, so using a tax agent’s expertise and know-how will ensure that there are no errors or omissions that could bring you to the attention of the ATO.
- You’ll never miss a deduction. The rules around what you can and can’t claim as a tax deduction can be quite confusing for the everyday Australian. However, your tax agent knows all the ins and outs of claiming deductions and will help you get the maximum possible r
- They don’t work for free. Keep in mind that you’ll need to pay your tax agent for their services; however, you can claim this fee as a deduction on your next tax return.
Questions to ask your tax agent
Getting a tax agent to help you prepare your tax return is a great way to maximise your return and ensure that you don’t make any mistakes that could put you offside with the ATO. Make sure to compare the services and fees of a number of Hobart tax agents before choosing the right one to handle your finances.
Users are also requested to read all terms and conditions related document carefully before committing to any Tax Specialists Service.
More guides on Finder
How to start an electrical business
Here's how to get started if you want to turn your skills as an electrician into a business.
Is income protection worth it for students?
Find out how students can benefit from income protection insurance.
Should renters get income protection?
Why renters need to consider income protection.
Income protection for tradies
The tradies guide to income protection insurance.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 4: Make your savings and investments work harder for you
This is the final week of our 4-week financial fitness challenge, where we help you understand your savings, super and investments.
The 20 best kids Halloween movies
Don’t worry, these movies won’t keep your children up at night.
Individual Income tax rates in Australia
Find the latest income tax rates set by the ATO
Should you lodge your tax return straight away?
You can lodge your tax return from 1 July 2020, but there are several benefits to waiting a little longer before you submit your return.
Money lessons from the coronavirus pandemic
As restrictions ease around Australia, finance expert Noel Whittaker goes through why you need a post-coronavirus plan for your money.
Podcast: Tax time tips for EOFY 2020
Finder experts explain how to claim home office expenses on your 2020 tax return, tips for new investors and how to get the most out of the EOFY sales in 2020.
Ask an Expert