Find a tax agent or accountant in Canberra so you can get a tax return worth bragging about.
As the nation’s capital, Australia’s largest in-land city and home to the legislature of the Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra is fast maturing as its own city. The story of Canberra is a funny one. A purpose built capital that sits right between Sydney and Melbourne, Canberra is located in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), a territory independent of influence from other Australian states, like New South Wales or Victoria.
There are hundreds of thousands of Canberrans living in the ACT, if you’re one of them, and you also have an income, you’ll need to pay income tax. The good news is that there’s no shortage of Canberra tax agents that can help you file a tax return and claim a tax refund from the government.
A flexible option for individuals, sole traders and companies based in Canberra.
- Online DIY tax returns starting from $19
- Online Tax Pro starting from $135*
- Business tax returns from $280*
H&R Block Tax Return Offer
Enjoy the flexibility of lodging your tax return online with H&R Block.
Use the online DIY tax return system to lodge your individual or business tax return in less than 10 minutes. H&R Block will guide you through the process with tips and tricks and an accountant will check your return before sending it to the ATO.
Or opt for an Online Tax Pro to lodge your return online with the help of expert tax consultants who will prepare your return for you and maximise your refund.
Best tax agents in Canberra**
**The tax agents compared on this page are chosen from a range of products finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms "Best" and "Top" are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.
A tax agent is someone who can help you prepare and lodge your tax return. A tax agent must be registered with the Tax Practitioner's Board (TPB). A registered tax agent in Canberra can charge a fee for their tax services. Even if you think your tax return is relatively straight forward, it can pay to use the services of a professional so you can get the most from your tax return. A tax agent can give you specialised, personal advice and direction in preparing and lodging your Income Tax Return. A Canberra Tax Agent can tell you exactly how much of your income you need to declare and how much you’re eligible to receive as a tax refund.
For example, a registered tax agent can help you with the following:
- Preparing your Business Activity Statements (BAS)
- Lodging tax forms
- Giving advice about taxation law
- Dealing with the taxation commissioner on behalf of a taxpayer
A tax agent must be qualified under the Tax Agent Services Regulations Act 2009 (TASR). In order to be eligible for registration, a tax agent must have qualifications in either accountancy or law, be a member of a professional society of organisation or obtained the necessary experience over a set period of time. Please note, that a tax agents services are different to the services of an accountant. An accountant looks forward and is more of a strategist. An accountant can help you grow your income; while a tax agent is primarily concerned with getting the most from your tax return.Back to top
There are some very easy ways you can compare tax agents in Canberra. Refer to the tax agent fees as a starting point. Some agents may be more expensive than others, you then have to look beyond the fees to see whether the service offered by selected tax agents is worth the extra cost. Some agents offer a first time no obligation free consultation, and some agents will even come to you. You can compare Canberra tax agents by the following points.
- Price. Canberra tax agents offer their services for different prices. For example, a tax agent who is operating independently may cost less (or more) than a tax agent operating under a brand name or a chain, like H&R Block. People are quick to point out that the less pay you pay for a tax agent’s services, the less you’re likely to get back on your tax return. Although the price of a tax agent may be commensurate to their experience, this is not a rule of thumb and it’s important to judge each individual agent on their merits. Ask your tax agent for references or ask to speak to a previous client if you’re unsure about whether you would like to employ the services of a Canberra tax agent.
- Services. What services does your Canberra tax agent offer? Some tax agents go beyond the preparation and lodging of your tax return. For example, some tax agents specialise in preparing tax forms for individuals; while other tax agents can provide services for sole traders, contractors and small businesses.
- Availability. Is your chosen tax agent available to perform your tax services at the time you wish? Furthermore, are you able to physically get to your tax agent? Some agents will come to you, so you don’t have to go out of your way.
You will be able to find a registered tax agent in most areas of Canberra. You have a couple of options if you want to find a Canberra tax agent. On the one hand, you can employ the services of a national chain that has an office in Canberra, large organisations like H&R Block are an example. The other option is to go for a local tax agent who operates in the Canberra region only.
There are approximately twenty-five suburbs in the Canberra Central region. The city centre is in Central Canberra. There is an abundance of tax agents in this area. Central Canberra is comprised of the following suburbs: Civic, Deakin, Dickson, Fyshwick, Manuka, Kingston, Reid, Turner and Watson.
The Belconnen region also has approximately twenty five suburbs within it, including: Belconnen, Cook, Dunlop, Holt, Macquarie, Scullin, Spence and Weetangera.
Originally designed as a satellite city separate to Canberra Central, the Woden Valley is home to about thirty thousand Canberrans. Suburbs within the Woden Valley district: Chiefly, Curtin, Garren, Hughes, Mawson, Phillip and Torrens.
Tuggeranong is one of the original districts of Canberra and consists of nineteen suburbs: Kambah, Greenway, Banks, Calwell, Monash and Oxley, for example.
- Tax refund. A tax agent should be knowledgeable about all the items you can claim as a tax deduction and can find ways to increase your tax refund.
- Specialist knowledge. The taxation system is rather complicated. A tax agent will be able to advise you on some of the perplexing points of tax law in Australia.
- Tax agent fees. Although a tax agent can maximise your tax return, they don’t work for free. You’ll need to pay a fee if you employ the services of a tax agent.
- Accountants. An accountant can advise on areas of taxation law and should be able to handle your tax return, too. A tax agent usually does not advise on areas of business structure, for example, like an accountant.
If you’re looking to get the biggest tax refund you can get, it helps to have a tax agent who knows how to make the system work for you. Compare tax agents in Canberra so you can find the right professional to handle your tax return in time for the new financial year.
What's trending right now with tax?
Users are also requested to read all terms and conditions related document carefully before committing to any Tax Specialists Service.