Find Your Side Hustle
51 side hustle ideas you can start today.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Want to earn some extra cash on top of your day job?
The great thing about a side gig is that it doesn't always require a massive upfront investment or specialised skills. The only question - Where do you start?
We've compiled a list of 51 side hustles, so you can get out there and make some extra dosh.
1) Airbnb. This idea makes use of THE most expensive asset you will ever purchase in your life – your house.
Wouldn't it be great if you could have someone else pay your mortgage while you still live in your home? Wouldn't it be great to double your income in comparison to the traditional rental market?
The next time you go on holidays or away for a few days, you can have vetted people stay in your house and keep the money flowing in. Find out how Tom makes $700 per week from his property.
If you want to get the ball rolling now, you can become an Airbnb host in just minutes.
2) Driving. If you have a car and commute to or from work, you are in a prime position to start making extra cash.
You can work before or after your regular job, on weekends and even during your commute to work!
Use your vehicle to transport people to the club, medical appointments or to get groceries in your spare time. Check out sites like Uber to start earning while you drive today.
3) Delivery services. Make extra money by delivering takeaway food to your local community today.
Uber Eats will pay you to run errands and deliver food, groceries and similar to people. It's a cool idea if you are already running around on a bike on your regular commute.
You can work on your own hours, on weekends and during times that suit you.
4) Freelancing/gig economy. Perhaps you work in a specialised field or have high-level skills in a specific area.
You can be certain someone, somewhere is willing to pay you for those skills. For instance, you can do some freelance writing outside your regular journalism job or cash in on your video skills using your drone.
Sites like Fiverr or Upwork offer a quick way to start earning extra today.
5) Invest in stocks. If you're willing to take on a little risk, investing in the stock market can be a great way to make an extra income.In share trading, you earn a profit by selling shares for a higher price than what you first paid for them.
Some company's also pay a portion of their profits to shareholders in the form of dividends twice a year. This means you can get an ongoing passive income without ever having to sell the shares or worry about stock price volatility.
6) Blogging. If we told you that you could renovate your home from the money you make blogging, you'd think we were crazy right? Try telling that to Jake Falkinder (author of It Pays To Blog)Jake was able to gain some traction on his first blog and make money off the ads."My focus was designer T-shirts and the blog grew in popularity, receiving international coverage in books, magazines and popular websites… not to mention providing us with the funds to renovate our family home."
Easier said than done? That's true. We spoke to Jake, and he was kind enough to write up a guide for us on How to make money from blogging (and from scratch).
7) Photography / artwork sales. There is a myriad of ways you can monetise that passion you have for photography or art.
Set up an eBay account to sell online or pop down to your local shops to see if they will hang your paintings for free and help sell them for you.
8) Rent out your car. Instead of driving people around, would you rather they do all the work for you?
Utilise your car while it is at work or even overnight when you do not need it.
Sites such as Car Next Door offer you the ability to monetise one of the most expensive purchases you will make.
If you have a spare car sitting in the garage, then this idea is even better for you as you can offset the cost of insurance, registration and running repairs.
9) eBay. While we know eBay is not as much of a gold mine as it used to be in terms of making some extra cash on the side, it can still provide you with a decent income if you do a little research around what products are selling quickly and who the target audience might be.
Alternatively, if you are looking to declutter around the house, then this is a good way to make some extra dollars.
10) Amazon. Similar to eBay, Amazon is a great way to make some quick and easy cash. However, with Amazon's FBA program, you do not need to hold any products in a physical form.
With this service, Amazon will stock, pack, ship and service your customer orders for you. How good is that? Amazon also allows you to redirect customers from your own website to enable multiple income streams running 24/7 – check out our guide.
Is the side hustle hype, or a way to make some cash fast?
Subscribe to the podcast
We've compared a few popular side-hustle options and estimated the potential earnings.
During Christmas, we asked Australians how they would increase their income with a side hustle.
|Side hustle||Proportion of Australians||Number of Australians|
|Sell things online||21%||4,010,289|
|Make my skills available via Airtasker/Freelancer||6%||1,145,797|
|Drive an Uber||4%||763,865|
|Rent a room/whole house||3%||572,899|
|Rent out my car||1%||190,966|
Source: finder.com.au survey of 2,013 Australians conducted in October 2018.
What do I need to know before I start?
- Self-financing: Taking the time to amass your savings before launching is one of the most tried and true methods of funding a new venture. Mark Zuckerberg started Facebook on the side – what can you do?
- Personal loan: It might be difficult to obtain a business loan as most lenders require a minimum of 6 months trading history. It could be a better idea to check out personal loans instead.
- Borrow from those close to you: Going to the Bank of Friends and Family can be a quick way to help you get your side hustle off the ground at the beginning, but always be cautious not to blur the lines too much between business and personal life!
Side gigs can be a lot of fun, but you're still required to report this income to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) alongside your everyday earnings.
In Australia, the first $18,200 that you earn is considered tax-free as it's in the tax-free threshold. However, you can't claim that tax-free threshold twice so if you have a second job or start a business on the side, the second income will be assessed for tax.
How much will you pay in tax?
The tax office will take a look at your total taxable income for the financial year. So if you have a side hustle it's a good idea to set aside money from that income to pay for your tax at the end of the financial year.
Take your total projected income and look the official tax brackets to get an idea of how much you'll need to pay.
Resident tax rates 2019–20
|Taxable income||Tax on this income|
|0 – $18,200||Nil|
|$18,201 – $37,000||19c for each $1 over $18,200|
|$37,001 – $90,000||$3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000|
|$90,001 – $180,000||$20,797 plus 37c for each $1 over $90,000|
|$180,001 and over||$54,097 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000|
Foreign resident tax rates 2020–21
|Taxable income||Tax on this income|
|0 – $90,000||32.5c for each $1|
|$90,001 – $180,000||$29,250 plus 37c for each $1 over $90,000|
|$180,001 and over||$62,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000|
Start out with even a small side gig, and you may be surprised at how quickly it takes off. It could just become your main source of income.
Icons made by Freepik, Those Icons, Pixel perfect, pongsakornRed, Smashicons, itim2101, Nikita Golubev, mynamepong, Vectors Market, srip, prettycons, surang, ultimatearm, Flat Icons, smalllikeart from www.flaticon.com is licensed by CC 3.0 BY
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Best laser printers in Australia
We've found the seven best laser printers you can buy in Australia right now.
Best eyebrow pencils in Australia
We've found seven of the best eyebrow pencils in Australia right now.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
How to start house sitting
How to snag and what to expect from your house sitting gig.
How to start a YouTube channel
Read the key points of starting a YouTube channel, including the equipment you'll need and the legal considerations to keep in mind.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Finder savings accounts rankings
How do we rank savings accounts to get our top picks?
Are you better off putting $10k in your home loan or in super?
Our experts crunch the numbers to help you work out the best place to park your money: is it your mortgage or your super fund?
Ask an Expert