Earn free Qantas or Velocity Points at JB Hi-Fi: Get in quick!
Get clever with gift cards and reap the (flight) rewards.
This week (and up until 1 August 2023), both Woolworths and Coles are running gift card offers that let you do something that's tricky normally: earning bonus frequent flyer points from shopping at JB Hi-Fi.
Woolworths is offering 20 times the usual Everyday Rewards points when you purchase Ultimate Everywhere gift cards. That's 1,000 Everyday Rewards points for every $50 card. JB Hi-Fi is one of the stores where you can use that card, and you can turn your Everyday Rewards points into Qantas Points.
Similarly, Coles is offering 1,000 Flybuys points on $50 Teen and Her gift cards. Those can also be used at JB Hi-Fi, and the Flybuys points can be converted into Velocity Points.
So if you're planning on buying a new TV or laptop, or even going old school with a DVD binge, you could also rack up some free Qantas Points or Velocity Points at the same time.
Here's how it works:
- Grab enough cards to cover your planned JB Hi-Fi spend. Woolworths limits you to 5 cards a day, and Coles limits you to 5 cards a week. We'll assume in this example that you're going to buy $250 worth of cards.
- For Woolworths, make sure your Everyday Rewards are set up to convert to Qantas Points . For Coles, make sure your Flybuys points convert automatically into Velocity.
- For your $250 spend, you'll end up with either 5,000 Everyday Rewards points, which converts to 2,500 Qantas Points, or 5,000 Flybuys points, which equates to 2,500 Velocity Points.
What makes this particularly appealing is that the gift cards don't have any service fee, so the Qantas Points are effectively free. As ever, I wouldn't buy these purely for the points, but if you're planning a JB Hi-Fi purchase anyway, it's a very effective way to top up your balance. (Note: avoid the $100 cards at Coles, as those earn the same number of points as the $50 ones.)
This kind of gift card offer shows up quite regularly, but it's rarer for both supermarkets to have an offer which rewards JB Hi-Fi shopping in the same week. So whatever your airline preference, it's a potential opportunity.
Want to keep your frequent flyer points balance growing? Check out the latest credit card sign-up deals.
Note: We updated this article in July 2023 to include the latest Woolworths and Coles gift card offers.
- Woolworths catalogue 26 July-1 August 2023
- Coles catalogue 25 July-1 August 2023