Openpay interest-free payments
Find out how Openpay's interest-free payment plans work to see if they will work for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Openpay is an innovative online and in-store payment solution enabling you to purchase now and pay later, with no interest. Openpay is available in Australia and New Zealand, spanning across different industries including retail, automotive, home improvement, medical and more.
Find out how the platform works in this guide.
How does Openpay work?
1. Signing Up
Signing up for the service is simple. You first download the Openpay app from the App Store or Google Play Store. Then, you register basic information through the app, linking your new Openpay account to your Visa or Mastercard (credit or debit). Openpay will give you an instant response to your application and once approved, you can use Openpay right away.
You're also able to sign up for Openpay in-store when making a purchase.
2. Purchasing with Openpay
Once your Openpay account has been approved, you can use Openpay at more than a thousand participating merchants across Australia and New Zealand. These can be brick-and-mortar shops, home delivery businesses and online stores.
At the point of purchase, you need to choose Openpay as the payment option and select from among several repayment options using the app.
After selecting Openpay as your payment method, you'll receive an instant decision from the app and, once approved, you'll be responsible for making the agreed repayments every two weeks. Repayments are automatically deducted as scheduled from your linked Visa or Mastercard. You can also make a payment early through the Openpay apSee the full list of stores with Openpay
What features does Openpay offer?
- Interest-free. Openpay works like a no-interest loan. You pay back the amount of the purchase without needing to pay any interest.
- Borrow only as needed. Since you use Openpay at the point of purchase, you'll never be stuck with borrowing more (or less) than what you need.
- Quick application. It'll take just a few minutes to download the app and sign up. Everything's done electronically and you'll get a decision instantly.
- Instant in-store purchases. As long as the store is a participating business, you simply select Openpay as the payment method to complete the transaction.
- You choose the repayment plan. At the point of purchase, Openpay will give you several repayment schedule options. You can choose the repayment plan best suited to you.
- Automatic deductions. Unless you specifically choose to pay cash, check or money order, Openpay will automatically deduct the agreed repayment every two weeks from your linked Visa or Mastercard.
- No processing fees for certain plans. If you choose a two-month plan you won't need to pay any processing fees.
- Advance repayments allowed. You're able to make early repayments at no extra cost.
- Payment reminders. Openpay sends out reminders before your scheduled repayments.
How much does using Openpay cost?
Openpay is interest-free, meaning you won't have to pay any interest on your outstanding balance. However, Openpay charges certain fees in the following cases:
- No interest. You will not be charged interest to use Openpay.
- Establishment fees. Establishment fees apply to higher purchases but only need to be paid by approved applicants.
- Plan management fees. These may apply to some plans and will be applicable to every payment.
- Late fees. Openpay may charge you a late payment fee if you fail to make repayments on time, but these are capped.
How do I sign up for Openpay?
Signing up for Openpay is quick and easy:
- Download the Openpay app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Fill out the electronic application within the app. This includes simple, basic identifying information.
- List the Visa or Mastercard (credit or debit) you want linked to your Openpay account and pay a small initial security deposit.
- Instantly receive an approval or rejection.
You can also sign up for Openpay at the checkout of participating retailers.
To be eligible for Openpay, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid Australian or New Zealand ID
- Have a verifiable email address and two contact phone numbers
- Provide a valid Visa or Mastercard (debit or credit card)
Want to give your savings a boost?
The Finder app hunts down personalised ways for you to save. You could save on your bills, mobile plan, credit card, insurance and more. Pop in your phone number below to get your download link.
Have more questions about Openpay?
More guides on Finder
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Moschino discount codes January 2021
Pick up some splurge-worthy pieces for a steal with these Moschino discount codes.
Afterpay hangover? Beware of impact on home loan approval
Off the back of Christmas spending, a finance expert has warned that your Afterpay habits could negatively impact your home loan application.
MoneyMe Freestyle Virtual Mastercard
Get $250 credit back when you meet the eligibility requirements and 55 days interest-free on purchases.
Bicycles Online discount codes and coupons January 2021 | Pay later with ZIP
Cut costs on your cycling equipment, clothing and accessories at Bicycles Online with one of our discount codes.
How to start a mobile app business
Learn the key considerations when it comes to starting and growing your smartphone app company.
How to start a vintage clothing store business
Here's how you could turn your love for vintage clothes into a money-making enterprise.
How to start an accounting business
Find out what you need to know before starting an accounting business.
UGG Express discount codes and coupons January 2021
When it comes to stylish and comfortable footwear, make UGG Express your go-to and score a discount with one of these coupon codes.
Ask an Expert