Openpay interest-free payments
Find out how Openpay's interest-free payment plans work to see if they will work for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Openpay is an innovative online and in-store payment solution enabling you to purchase now and pay later, with no interest. Openpay is available in Australia and New Zealand, spanning across different industries including retail, automotive, home improvement, medical and more.
Find out how the platform works in this guide.
How does Openpay work?
1. Signing Up
Signing up for the service is simple. You first download the Openpay app from the App Store or Google Play Store. Then, you register basic information through the app, linking your new Openpay account to your Visa or Mastercard (credit or debit). Openpay will give you an instant response to your application and once approved, you can use Openpay right away.
You're also able to sign up for Openpay in-store when making a purchase.
2. Purchasing with Openpay
Once your Openpay account has been approved, you can use Openpay at more than a thousand participating merchants across Australia and New Zealand. These can be brick-and-mortar shops, home delivery businesses and online stores.
At the point of purchase, you need to choose Openpay as the payment option and select from among several repayment options using the app.
After selecting Openpay as your payment method, you'll receive an instant decision from the app and, once approved, you'll be responsible for making the agreed repayments every two weeks. Repayments are automatically deducted as scheduled from your linked Visa or Mastercard. You can also make a payment early through the Openpay apSee the full list of stores with Openpay
What features does Openpay offer?
- Interest-free. Openpay works like a no-interest loan. You pay back the amount of the purchase without needing to pay any interest.
- Borrow only as needed. Since you use Openpay at the point of purchase, you'll never be stuck with borrowing more (or less) than what you need.
- Quick application. It'll take just a few minutes to download the app and sign up. Everything's done electronically and you'll get a decision instantly.
- Instant in-store purchases. As long as the store is a participating business, you simply select Openpay as the payment method to complete the transaction.
- You choose the repayment plan. At the point of purchase, Openpay will give you several repayment schedule options. You can choose the repayment plan best suited to you.
- Automatic deductions. Unless you specifically choose to pay cash, check or money order, Openpay will automatically deduct the agreed repayment every two weeks from your linked Visa or Mastercard.
- No processing fees for certain plans. If you choose a two-month plan you won't need to pay any processing fees.
- Advance repayments allowed. You're able to make early repayments at no extra cost.
- Payment reminders. Openpay sends out reminders before your scheduled repayments.
How much does using Openpay cost?
Openpay is interest-free, meaning you won't have to pay any interest on your outstanding balance. However, Openpay charges certain fees in the following cases:
- No interest. You will not be charged interest to use Openpay.
- Establishment fees. Establishment fees apply to higher purchases but only need to be paid by approved applicants.
- Plan management fees. These may apply to some plans and will be applicable to every payment.
- Late fees. Openpay may charge you a late payment fee if you fail to make repayments on time, but these are capped.
How do I sign up for Openpay?
Signing up for Openpay is quick and easy:
- Download the Openpay app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Fill out the electronic application within the app. This includes simple, basic identifying information.
- List the Visa or Mastercard (credit or debit) you want linked to your Openpay account and pay a small initial security deposit.
- Instantly receive an approval or rejection.
You can also sign up for Openpay at the checkout of participating retailers.
To be eligible for Openpay, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid Australian or New Zealand ID
- Have a verifiable email address and two contact phone numbers
- Provide a valid Visa or Mastercard (debit or credit card)
Want to give your savings a boost?
The Finder app hunts down personalised ways for you to save. You could save on your bills, mobile plan, credit card, insurance and more. Pop in your phone number below to get your download link.
Have more questions about Openpay?
More guides on Finder
Coles No Annual Fee Mastercard – Exclusive Offer
Enjoy 10,000 bonus points and 12 months interest-free on balance transfers and purchases. Plus, an ongoing $0 annual fee.
Finder’s RBA Cash Rate Survey: 60% of experts blame BNPL for drop in credit cards
Credit cards are being used less and experts say Buy Now Pay Later services such as Afterpay and Zip are to blame, according to new research from Finder. In this month's Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey™, 39 experts and economists weighed in on future cash rate moves and other issues related to the state of the Australian economy.
PayPal launches cryptocurrency payments sending Bitcoin’s price soaring
PayPal, VISA and Bakkt have all announced various forms of crypto payments on their networks sending the price of Bitcoin back towards it's all time high.
Australian NaturalCare discount codes and coupons April 2021
Explore a compellingly diverse catalogue of health-promoting household essentials today and score a discount with one of these Australian NaturalCare promo codes.
Novo discount codes and coupons April 2021
Enjoy the latest in gorgeous women’s shoes when you shop at Novo. They have everything a girl could want.
Chefgood discount codes and coupons April 2021
Quality. Variety. Freshness. Get gourmet meals delivered directly to your door with Chefgood.
Mr Simple discount codes and coupons April 2021
Rework your wardrobe today and see how much you could save with one of these active Mr Simple promo codes.
HobbyCo coupon codes and discounts April 2021: 30% off sale
Pick up hobby-based supplies and see how much you could save with one of these active HobbyCo promo codes.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Square vs Stripe
Discover how Square and Stripe can help you process your business payments.
Ask an Expert