Spend in up to 10 currencies, lock in exchange rates and enjoy worldwide Mastercard access with the Key to the World Currency Card.
The Key to the World Currency Card is a prepaid and reloadable travel card that supports up to 10 currencies (including Australian Dollars) and could be the ideal companion for your next overseas holiday. When you load funds on the card, it locks in the current exchange rate, making it easier to keep track of your travel budget. As a Mastercard, you can use the Key to the World card at millions of retailers and ATMs around the world. The card also comes with an online account, making it easy for you to monitor your balance and transaction history, reload funds and transfer between currencies on the go.
Changes to the Key to the World Currency Card
From 6 February 2018, the name of this card has changed from Key to the World to Travel Money Oz Currency Pass. If you have an existing card with a positive balance, you can still use it on your next trip. This information about the Key to the World card is kept for historical purposes.
If you are looking for information about the Travel Money Oz Currency Pass, check out the finder review.
|Available Currencies||AUD, USD, SGD, NZD, JPY, THB, GBP, EUR, HKD, CAD|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card||Yes|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||$10,000|
|Maximum Annual Load Amount||$100,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||$3,000|
|24 Hour POS Transaction Limit||$15,000|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$0|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee||USD 2.50, EUR 2.50, GBP 2.00, NZD 3.50, THB 80.00, CAD 3.50, HKD 18.00, JPY 260.00, SGD 3.50, AUD 3.50|
|Monthly Inactivity Fee|
after 12 months inactivity
|Transaction Fee for Purchases||$0|
|Card Replacement Fee||$10|
|Currency Conversion Fee||5.95%|
|BPay Reload fee||1%|
|Negative Balance Fee||$20|
|Account Closing Fee||$10|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Reloading funds and currencies
The Key to the World Currency Card currently allows you to lock-in and spend the following currencies:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- United States dollars (USD)
- Euros (EUR)
- Great British Pound (GBP)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- Thai Baht (THB)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Japanese Yen (JPY)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
How can I load and reload funds on the card?
You can reload your card in any of the following ways:
- Online account. You can load funds through your Key to the World online account. Just visit the Key to the World website and follow the load/reload prompts. This will cost up to 1.1% of the total amount.
- BPAY. You can load funds via BPAY using the biller code 184416 and your 16 digit card number. Please note that reloading with BPAY will cost 1% of the reload amount. BPAY transfers may also take up to two days to appear in your account.
- In store. You can load funds with cash or card at your nearest Flight Centre, Student Flights, Escape Travel, Cruiseabout, My Adventure Store, Travel Associates or Travel Money Oz store. You'll be charged a reload fee of 1.1% of the total amount when you do this.
Please note that you must load a minimum of $100 per initial load and reload. The maximum amount you can load is $10,000.
Where can you use the Key to the World Currency Card?
- Local currency countries. You can use the Key to the World Currency Card wherever any of the supported currencies are used as the local currency. This allows you to avoid any additional currency conversion fee.
- Wherever Mastercard is accepted. You can also use your card in any of the millions of locations where Mastercard is accepted around the world. While you can use the card wherever Mastercard is accepted, you'll be charged a currency conversion fee of 5.95% whenever you use your card to spend in a currency that's unsupported or not loaded on your card.
- Excluded sanctions. You can't use this card in Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria and Crimea as they are affected by sanctions.
How much will the Key to the World Currency Card cost?
|Overseas ATM withdrawals|
|Domestic ATM withdrawals||2.95% of the amount withdrawn|
|Exchange rates||Retail foreign exchange rate determined by Key to the World|
|Cashing out/card closure||$10|
Managing your account
- Online account. Log in at the Key to the World website using your email address and password to see your balance, monitor your transaction history, load funds on your account and move currencies between wallets.
- Moving currencies. You can transfer your Australian currencies into any of the supported currencies through your online account. Simply follow the prompts and indicate how much money you'd like to transfer into the relevant currency wallets.
- Currency order. If you do not have sufficient funds in the local currency loaded in your account, or if you're making a purchase in an unsupported currency, the funds will be taken out of your account in the following order: 1. AUD 2. USD 3. EUR 4. GBP 5. NZD 6. THB 7. CAD 8. HKD 9. JPY 10. SGD. You can change your default currency through your online account. Under your Currency Card page, click "Manage my card" and follow the prompts.
- Leftover cash. If you have returned from your holiday with funds on your account, you have a few options. You can use the funds to make purchases in foreign currencies online or you can transfer the funds back to Australian dollars and either spend them in Australia or withdraw the funds from an ATM. Please note that a cashing out and closure fee of $10 is charged when you withdraw the remaining funds from your account and close the card.
Your card is chip and PIN protected and has a signature panel on the reverse.
Important contact information
If your card is lost or stolen, if you've forgotten your PIN or if you suspect that the security of your card has been breached, you can contact the 24 hour Emergency Assistance helpline on +44 207 694 9404.
How to get a Key to the World Currency Card
If you've compared your options, you can complete a secure online application.
Your card should take up to 14 days to arrive if you've ordered it online. Once you've received your card, you'll need to activate it in store or by registering and logging in online on the Key to the World website. Alternatively, you can activate your card by phoning 1800 109 231.
The benefits and drawbacks of the Key to the World Currency card
- Multiple currencies. This card offers up to 10 foreign currencies, meaning you can use your card with greater flexibility when shopping online or travelling overseas.
- Free to purchase. Unlike some other travel cards, the Key to the World Currency Card is free to order.
- Online account. The Key to the World online account is a convenient way for you to monitor your balance and transaction history and manage your funds while travelling.
- Currency conversion fee. As the average currency conversion fee usually sits around 3%, the 5.95% currency conversion fee of this card makes it a less competitive offer.
- No additional card. This card doesn't come with an additional card, meaning you'll have to fork out the $10 replacement fee if your card is lost, damaged or stolen.
- Reload fees. You'll be charged at least 1% each time you reload funds on the card. If you intend to reload money on your card regularly, this could eat into your travel budget.
Other benefits of the Key to the World Currency Card
Digital Travel Wallet
Key to the World provides a digital travel wallet service so you can manage all your travel components in one place. The digital travel wallet combines services including itinerary, travel insurance, the Key to the World currency card and travel SIM card for your mobile, when you book through the Flight Centre Travel Group. To inquire and apply for these other travel components visit the Key to the World website.
- View your flight and travel itinerary
- View your current and past travel insurance policy PDF's
- Manage your Key to the World currency card and foreign currency online
- Purchase and manage a prepaid Global SIM to save on calls, texts and data