The Caltex StarCard combines custom expense tracking and management tools with discounts and a network of service stations across Australia. Business owners have a choice of Closed Loop cards that work at Caltex and Puma Energy sites or Open Loop cards that offer wider acceptance and perks – including discounts on accommodation, vehicle parts and servicing. And for a limited time, you can get a free takeaway coffee when you use a Caltex StarCard to purchase at least 50 litres of fuel at participating locations. It also offers savings of 6 cents per litre on petrol and diesel and waived monthly fees for 12 months when you apply by 31 December 2023. After that, the default discount is 4 cents per litre and the monthly fee per card adds up to $30 per year. So keep that in mind when comparing your options.
Save 6 cents per litre on petrol and diesel for the first 12 months (4 cents per litre after that)
No card fees in the first 12 months
More than 6,000 service stations across Australia with open Loop Cards
Discounts on related costs such as servicing, vehicle parts and accommodation
Monthly fee per card reverts to $2.50 ($30 per year) after the first year
Doesn't offer rewards points
Some discounts and perks are customised to your card agreement, which could make it hard to compare to other options on the market
|Product Name||Caltex StarCard|
|Annual fee||$30 p.a.|
|Number of Locations||6,000|
|Days to pay|
|Annual fee||$30 p.a.|
|Visa / Mastercard Processing Fee||1.3%|
|Amex Processing Fee||2.1%|
How does the Caltex StarCard work?
The Caltex StarCard is designed for business owners who have one or more vehicles for work. It offers additional cards for employees who use the vehicles, with a simple monthly statement showing all expenditure.
As these cards can only be used for specific transactions related to the vehicles, they give businesses a clear view of fleet costs, management and budgeting requirements. Each Caltex StarCard account also offers discounts on fuel and related spending, which are tailored to the business.
Benefits of the Caltex StarCard
- Introductory fuel savings. If you apply and get approved for a Caltex StarCard by 31 December 2023, you'll save 6 cents per litre on the pump price of any petrol or diesel fuel purchased with your Caltex StarCard account for the first 12 months from account opening. After the introductory period, the fuel savings offer will revert to a base rate of 4 cents per litre on eligible fuel purchases.
- $0 card fee for 12 months. You'll also pay no monthly account fees for the first 12 months when you apply by 31 December 2023. After the introductory period, a $2.50 monthly fee will apply for each card linked to the account.
- Free coffee offer. For a limited time, you can get a free takeaway coffee at participating service stations when you use your Caltex StarCard to pay for at least 50 litres of petrol or diesel. You can redeem your coffee in-store after paying for the fuel at the same participating location.
- Online account management tools. The Caltex StarCard Online Service Centre gives you a way to track spending and manage the account. This includes setting transaction restrictions and security alerts, as well as getting detailed monthly statements for accounting tasks.
- Wide acceptance. All Caltex StarCards can be used at all Caltex and Puma Energy service stations in Australia. Open Loop StarCards offer wider acceptance at 6,000 locations, anywhere WEX Motorpass cards are accepted.
- Choice of cards. There are two types of Caltex StarCards, and you can choose to have one or both options.
- Closed Loop Cards: Offer acceptance at Caltex and Puma Energy service stations, with no transaction fees.
- Open Loop Cards: Offer acceptance at the same locations as WEX Motorpass cards. They also offer perks and discounts including for accommodation, taxis, vehicle parts and servicing.
- Discounts. Each Caltex StarCard account gives you a choice of purchasing options, with discounts tailored to your card agreement.
- Security. You can limit what transactions cards can be used for, set PINs and track purchases through the StarCard Online Service Centre.
Rates and fees
- Monthly fee. Outside of any promotions, a $2.50 monthly fee applies for each card added to the account, excluding GST. This adds an equivalent of $30 per year to the account costs.
- Visa and Mastercard processing fee. If you use a Visa or Mastercard to pay the account, a fee worth 1.3% is applied.
- American Express processing fee. Amex transactions attract a 2.1% fee.
How to apply
You can apply for the Caltex StarCard online in around 10 minutes. To get started, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the required details for the application.
- Business details. You must have an ABN (Australian Business Number) that has been trading for at least 6 months. You also need to be the director, company secretary or another person authorised to apply for the business.
- Business spending only. You can only get a Caltex StarCard if you'll use it exclusively for business purposes.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
Documents and details
- Personal details. Includes your name, date of birth and contact details. If you're a sole trader or in a partnership, you also need to provide your driver's licence number.
- Business details. This includes your ABN and basic details about the business.
- Vehicle details. If you want to assign a StarCard to a specific vehicle, you need to provide the registration number.
- Driver details. If you want to assign the StarCard to a driver, you need to include their full name.
- Payment details. If you want to pay the account by direct debit, you need to include your bank account or credit card details. Keep in mind that there are fees for paying by credit card.
Once you have submitted your application, Caltex StarCard will assess it and contact you if more details are needed.
If you're application is approved, you should get your card in 5-7 business days.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked