Visitor visas

Find the best way to get a visitor visa for your next holiday or business trip to Australia.

Unless you are an Australian citizen or a New Zealand passport holder, you will need to apply for a visa before visiting Australia for a holiday, business or short-term trip. Most visitors enter Australia on one of three visitor visas:

  • Electronic Travel Authority
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600)
  • eVisitor visa (subclass 650)

This page will explain the various visa types for visitors and tell you how to apply for them.

Electronic Travel Authority visa (ETA)

An Electronic Travel Authority allows applicants living outside Australia to visit the country for tourism or business. Travellers on an ETA visa are permitted to stay in Australia for a maximum of three months. The following conditions apply:

  • Applicants must apply online through the Australian government’s website.
  • ETA visas cost $20. Applicants must pay by credit card.
  • Yes. Every traveller must apply for their own ETA, including young children.

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

The visitor visa is a more flexible visa for visitors on short-term tourist and business trips. Eligible visitors can apply from inside and outside Australia, depending on the passport they hold. This visa:

  • Costs between $135 and $1,000 depending on the trip length.
  • Allows visitors to stay for between 3 and 12 months.

How is a visitor visa different from an ETA?

  • The visitor visa has more flexible conditions for visitors, including length of trip and visa costs.
  • Passport holders of some countries may be eligible for an ETA but not for a visitor visa, or vice versa.
  • The visitor visa is also used by travellers from the People’s Republic of China on registered group tours.

eVisitor visa (subclass 651)

The eVisitor visa is similar to the ETA. Applicants must be outside Australia when they apply online. Like the ETA, the eVisitor visa allows for visits of up to three months. This visa, unlike the ETA, is free.

Who can apply for an eVisitor visa?

  • Visitors from 36 European countries, including France, Germany and the United Kingdom, can apply for eVisitor visas.

Visitor visas summary

VisaHow to applyCostLength
  • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)
Online here$203 months
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600)
Online (account required)$135 -$1,000 (depending on circumstances)3-12 months
  • eVisitor visa (subclass 650)
Online here (account required)Free3 months

If you are unsure of what type of visitor visa you will require, you can visit the Australian immigration website for more details. Alternatively you can seek the advice of an authorised migration agent who will be able to advise you on the best visa for your situation.

What other visitor visas are available?

There are a few other visitor visa options available. Most of the options will depend on which passport you hold as well as the purpose of your visit.

  • Medical Treatment visa
This visa is for people receiving medical treatment, donating an organ or supporting someone who is having medical treatment who has this visa.
  • Investor Retirement visa
A visa for investors looking to spend their retirement in Australia.
  • Transit visas
This is for people who will be in Australia for a brief time before travelling onward to another country.
  • Working Holiday visa
A visa for young people from eligible countries who want to work and holiday in Australia for up to one year (two years in some cases).

You can read more about working holiday visas in our work visa guide.

What are the requirements for an Australian visitor visa?

The requirements for an Australian visitor visa will depend on why you are planning to visit and how long you wish to stay. In all cases you must have a valid passport or travel document from an eligible country.

You should also consider the following:

  • If you are visiting for medical reasons, you will need documents from medical professionals regarding the reasons for your treatments.
  • Any visitor to Australia must be able to prove they are of good character to enter the country.
  • For all visa applications, any official documents you are required to provide (such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of identity, etc.) will need to be certified by legal agencies of the country you live in and translated into English.
  • In some cases you may need to prove your good character by providing a police clearance certificate or other evidence.

How long do visas take to process?

Visa processing times are dependent on the type of visitor visa you are applying for and your personal circumstances, such as your citizenship. Some visas may be processed on the same day; other visas will take up to two months. It is very important that you always ensure that you allow plenty of time for your visa to be processed before travelling.

Do I need a migration agent?

You don’t need a migration agent to make a visitor visa application but an agent may be helpful in navigating the application process. A migration agent can advise on the right type of visa for you as well as ensuring you provide the correct documentation, which allows for a much smoother application.

Find a migration agent

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site