The Australian government is currently phasing out the 457 visa and replacing it with a new visa, the Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa. By March 2018 there will be no more 457 visas, and there are also changes to the list of occupations 457 visa holders can perform. These changes affect people on 457 visas and future TSS visas.
There are lots of migration agents offering migration services throughout Australia. finder.com.au can help you find a migration agent for your visa needs, provide information about the services agents provide and help you research your visa process. Search for a migration agent located in your state or city.
Applying for a visa is an expensive and complicated process. Migration agents can guide you through this often confusing process. Services they offer include advising you on the types of visa you can apply for, guiding you through the process of collecting documents and helping you submit your application correctly.
Search for a migration agent
What visa types are available in Australia?
Australia has a wide range of visas available to non-Australians. These visas cover many different purposes and can be broadly grouped into these categories:
- Visitor visas. This category includes tourists and short-term business visitors. Visitors must apply for an Electronic Travel Authority via the Australian government's immigration website. These are valid for three months and cost $20.
- Working and skilled visas. Visas in this category are for skilled workers migrating to Australia, short-term workers filling shortages in specific regions or industries, and visas for investors.
- Student visas. People who wish to study in Australia may need to enter Australia on a student visa. These visas cover students at universities, colleges, post-graduate work, vocational training and English-language study.
- Family and spousal visas. This visa category covers family-related migration and visits to Australia. This includes partner migration visas for overseas spouses of Australian residents and various visas for carers, adoptees and overseas relatives of Australian residents.
Why do I need a migration agent?
The process of applying for a visa to Australia is often very complicated. You might be in a situation where there are several visa types available to you, each with different costs, processing times and offering varying lengths of stay. While you can apply for visas without an agent, having a qualified migration agent simplifies the entire process. A migration agent can help you with the daunting task of compiling the necessary documents, filling in paperwork and advising you on the best path towards your visa goal.
What occupations are affected by the 457 visa changes?
On 19 April 2017 the Australian government restricted the number of occupations available to migrants on 457 and TSS visas. The government has removed 216 occupations from the list, meaning people with these jobs will not be eligible for work visas. Check out the full list of occupations that have changed.
Do you need health insurance for your 457 visa?
If you're planning to work in Australia on a 457 visa, you'll need to take out Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) policy for these reasons:
- To satisfy the condition of your visa (specifically the 8501 condition) that requires you to have adequate health insurance
- To avoid expensive medical fees for services that won't be covered by Medicare (the public health system in Australia)
- To be able to access the medical care you need while in Australia
The latest Australian visa and migration updates
Migration figures for March put India in the spot. Read more…
Ask an Expert