With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Migration Agent Finder™

Looking to move to Australia? Make the move a whole lot easier thanks to our list of hundreds of migration agents.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

If you're looking to move to Australia, a migration agent can be a lifesaver. Migration agents have been working in immigration for years and they understand the ins and outs of visa applications and how to get yours approved quick-smart. We've doner the hard work for you, pulling together a list of hundreds of migration agents in each of Australia's capital cities. Enjoy!



LegalVision have a range of migration agents and lawyers available to assist with your specific needs

Find a migration agent in your city

What does a migration agent do?

Registered migration agents provide immigration advice and assistance to potential immigrants. A qualified migration agent must hold a current legal practising certificate issued by an Australian body that is authorised by law to issue it.

Migration agents can:

  • Help you prepare your visa application.
  • Advise you on what visa will best suit you.
  • Ensure that your documentation is up to standard.
  • Give you an honest opinion on your eligibility.
  • Monitor the progress of your application.
  • Liaise with the Australian Government on your behalf.
  • Represent you before a court in relation to a visa matter.

Why do I need a migration agent?

The process of applying for a visa to Australia is often very complicated. You might be in a situation where there are several visa types available to you, each with different costs, processing times and offering varying lengths of stay. While you can apply for visas without an agent, having a qualified migration agent simplifies the entire process. A migration agent can help you with the daunting task of compiling the necessary documents, filling in paperwork and advising you on the best path towards your visa goal.

How do I choose a migration agent?

It's important to choose the right migration agent for your situation. When searching for an agent, remember that all migration agents operating in Australia must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

When choosing an agent, consider whether you need:

  • Advice about visa options.
  • Assistance lodging a visa application.
  • An agent specialising in a specific visa type.
  • A legally qualified agent.
  • An agent who speaks your language.

You can then search for migration agents in your area and ensure that they meet your criteria. You can search for migration agents in Australian major cities here.

How much does a migration agent cost?

Whilst there is no set fee for how much a migration agent will cost you, some elements may impact the price. These include:

  • What type of visa you are applying for.
  • How complicated your case is.
  • Whether you have any dependents listed on your application, such as children.
  • The experience and qualifications of your agent (if your agent is a lawyer or has many years of experience, their fees may be higher).

It's a good idea to talk to a few agents about their services and the fees they charge before you commit to one and enter into a written contract with them.

I've got a migration agent. What now?

  • Contracts and fees. Once the agent has agreed to help you, they will provide you with a written agreement containing the details of their services and will let you know how much their services will cost. All agents have a Code of Conduct that they must abide by. They must also give you a Consumer Guide that outlines what you can expect from your agent.
  • Progress reports. Your agent must let you know in writing about the progress of your application. Talk to your agent about how much time the process is expected to take and what the steps will be, so that you know what to expect. Your agent must inform you of the outcome of your application as soon as possible.
  • Conflict of interest. Your agent must put your legitimate interests above their own and avoid situations where there is a conflict of interest.
  • Termination of contract. If your agent terminates your contract, they must first give you reasonable written notice. Your agent must return to you, within seven days, any documents that belong to you. However, if your agent is a lawyer, they can claim a lien (a form of security over an item until a debt is paid) for any outstanding fees you need to pay.

What visa types are available in Australia?

Australia has a wide range of visas available to non-Australians. These visas cover many different purposes and can be broadly grouped into these categories:

  • Visitor visas. This category includes tourists and short-term business visitors. Visitors must apply for an Electronic Travel Authority via the Australian government's immigration website. These are valid for three months and cost $20.
  • Working and skilled visas. Visas in this category are for skilled workers migrating to Australia, short-term workers filling shortages in specific regions or industries, and visas for investors.
  • Student visas. People who wish to study in Australia may need to enter Australia on a student visa. These visas cover students at universities, colleges, post-graduate work, vocational training and English-language study.
  • Family and spousal visas. This visa category covers family-related migration and visits to Australia. This includes partner migration visas for overseas spouses of Australian residents and various visas for carers, adoptees and overseas relatives of Australian residents.

Do you need health insurance for your 457 visa?

If you're planning to work in Australia on a 457 visa, you'll need to take out Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) policy for these reasons:

  • To satisfy the condition of your visa (specifically the 8501 condition) that requires you to have adequate health insurance
  • To avoid expensive medical fees for services that won't be covered by Medicare (the public health system in Australia)
  • To be able to access the medical care you need while in Australia

For more information, read our comprehensive guide on getting health insurance for the 457 visa or the new TSS (482) Visa guide.

Read more on this topic

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.