ThinkMarkets is an Australia based CFD forex and commodities broker that offers competitive fees and spreads plus advanced trading features such as technical analysis tools and charting. It offers CFDs on more than 38 currency pairs, gold, silver, oil, gas and stocks.
ThinkMarkets CFD trading platform review Australia
ThinkMarkets has all the usual options when it comes to trading forex and CFDs, with a few additional features to keep advanced traders happy.
Its customer support is well above the average, and you have the option of using the popular MT4 and MT5 platforms plus its advanced ThinkTrader platform with over half a million users globally for those wanting advanced analysis features.
Offers 38+ currency pairings
Spreads as low as 0.0 pips
Quality customer service
Direct share trading is on a separate platform
|Type of broker||Online only|
|Available markets||Forex, Indices, Energy, Metals, Cryptocurrency, Stocks, Futures (CFDs only)|
|Minimum Spreads for Major Currencies||From 0 pips|
|Commission||$0 for standard account|
|Minimum opening balance||No minimum for standard account|
|Minimum Trade Size||0.01|
|Leverage||1:1 - 30:1|
|Platforms||MetaTrader4, MetaTrader5, ThinkTrader|
|Support||24/7 live chat, email, phone|
ThinkMarkets is an online CFD broker that specialises in forex trading. It's headquartered in London, United Kingdom and Melbourne, Australia. It launched in 2010 and has offices in Australia, the US, the Middle East, North Africa, Europe and South America.
In addition to forex, users can trade CFDs on stocks, indices, ETFs, commodities (including metals and energy), cryptocurrencies and futures. It offers the industry-standard platforms MetaTrader 4 and the next-generation MetaTrader 5 as well as its proprietary platform ThinkTrader, which offers advanced charting, technical analysis and analytical tools to measure risk.
Why trade with ThinkMarkets?
There are a few solid reasons why you might go with ThinkMarkets ahead of another platform. First, its proprietary platform ThinkTrader will appeal to advanced traders that are looking for features beyond what the standard MetaTrader 4 or MetaTrader 5 platforms offer. This includes advanced charting, technical analysis tools, backtesting and risk assessment tools.
Its spreads and fees are competitive on both standard and ThinkZero accounts. You also get a longer list of commodities, CFD shares and indices than many other brokers offer.
- Customer service. Above average customer service with quick response times and detailed answers.
- Spreads. FX spreads are as low as 0.0 pips on the ThinkZero account and start at 0.4 on the standard account.
- Commission. You pay zero commission for forex trading on the standard account.
- Fast execution. ThinkMarkets offers high-speed trade executions.
- Technical analysis. Its proprietary ThinkTrader platform offers advanced trading tools including charting, technical analysis and backtesting.
Is ThinkMarkets trustworthy?
ThinkMarkets is registered with the Australian Securities Investment Commission (ASIC) under the trading name TF Global Markets (Aust) Pty Ltd and is a holder of an Australian Financial Services Licence.
On popular user review sites, it has received mostly positive feedback, with users pointing to its tight spreads, good customer service, gold and forex trading and its unique ThinkTrader platform offering.
- Forex Peace Army: 3.4*/5
- AU Trustpilot: 4*/5
Note: Forex and CFD trading always carries risk, which you should be aware of, so read up before you start investing. Do your research before signing up to any forex or CFD trading platform.
What can I trade on ThinkMarkets?
All assets on ThinkMarkets are traded using CFDs, so you're not buying or selling the underlying assets.
That being said, users can access a good selection of markets, with over 38 global currency pairs, commodities trading in gold, silver, oil and natural gas, over 15 cryptocurrencies and shares and indices.
- Currency Pairs including: Major, Minor and Exotic
- Indices: 16 Global Indices including:Australia 200, China A50, Dow Jones 30, EuroStoxx 50, France 40, Germany 30, Hong Kong 50, Japan 225, Nasdaq US tech 100, South Africa ZAR40, Spain 35, US Dollar Index, UK 100, US SPX500, plus an additional 6 AUD Denominated Indices.
- Share CFD Trading: Access more than 3,000 share CFDs and hundreds of ETF CFDs (MT5 or ThinkTrader required).
- Commodities: Gold, Gold (zero), Gold (mini) Silver, Silver (zero), Silver (mini), Platinum, Copper, Crude Oil (WTI), Crude Oil (Brent), Natural Gas,
- Cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Bitcoin (cash), Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple and more.
- Direct ASX shares: To buy and sell shares directly (not via CFDs) you can sign up to a ThinkMarkets share trading account.
What are ThinkMarkets' spreads and fees?
ThinkMarkets has among the lowest forex spreads and fees on the market. There are no broker FX commission costs when you use the Standard account however the advanced ThinkZero account charges $7 per trade on FX and Metals.
There are no subscription, or monthly inactivity fees, but ThinkMarkets do reserve the right to charge a fee for inactive accounts. The standard account has no minimum opening balance, while the ThinkZero account requires $500 to open.
|Minimum opening balance||$0||$500|
|Spreads||From 0.4 pips||From 0.0 pips|
|FX commission per lot||$0||$7 ($3.50 per side)|
|Minimum trade size||0.01||0.01|
|Leverage||1:1 - 30:1||1:1 - 30:1|
What account types are available with ThinkMarkets?
ThinkMarkets has two main account options: Standard and its active account ThinkZero. There's also a demo version of the software and an Islamic Account that complies with Sharia law. You get the same list of trading instruments on Standard or ThinkZero accounts, however, CFD stocks are predominantly available on ThinkTrader and MT5 platforms.
- Demo version: A free trial version is available with $25,000 practice funds to play with for 90 days.
- Standard: You can open the basic account with no minimum deposit required and spreads starting at 0.4 pips.
- ThinkZero: You'll get tighter spreads using the ThinkZero account with pips starting from 0.0, though you'll need to pay a commission fee of $7 on forex and metals and there's a minimum $500 deposit to open the account.
- Islamic account: A Sharia compliant account that offers a limited selection of currencies.
- Share trading: To buy and sell shares directly (not via CFDs) you can sign up to a ThinkMarkets share trading account.
What customer support options are available?
I was happy with ThinkMarkets' customer service. The live chat responses I received were quick and detailed, plus the person I spoke to over the phone when I signed up was friendly and easy to chat to. Support staff seemed to have a good understanding of the forex market and CFD markets and went out of their way to assist.
- 24/7 live chat
News and training material
ThinkMarkets offers a decent hub for new traders, with training and basic how-to guides. More extensive educational material is offered once you sign up.
MT4 and MT5 already offer inbuilt news and company updates as well as customisable notifications to help keep you on top of important markets. ThinkMarkets' proprietary ThinkTrader platform also offers a news service powered by financial analysis provider FXWirePro.
How do I open an account with ThinkMarkets?
When you open an account with ThinkMarkets, you'll have the option of choosing your preferred account type along with your platform of choice (MT4, MT5 or ThinkTrader). You will also have the option of choosing your own maximum leverage (up to 30:1) and your account's currency (AUD, USD, etc) from the base currencies available.
You'll need to provide the following identification details:
- Home address
- Net annual income
- Experience level
- Option 1: Two photo IDs such as passport and driver's license
- Option 2: One photo ID plus one proof of address such as bank statement or bill
There may be other information required to set up an account.
After you've been approved, you can download your platform of choice and start trading.
Deposit methods: Visa, Mastercard, Skrill, Neteller, BPAY, POLi and PayPal.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked