Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Visitor visas

Find the best way to get a visitor visa for your next holiday or business trip to Australia.

Unless you are an Australian citizen or a New Zealand passport holder, you will need to apply for a visa before visiting Australia for a holiday, business or short-term trip. Most visitors enter Australia on one of three visitor visas:

  • Electronic Travel Authority
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600)
  • eVisitor visa (subclass 651)

This page will explain the various visa types for visitors and tell you how to apply for them.

Electronic Travel Authority visa (ETA)

An Electronic Travel Authority allows applicants living outside Australia to visit the country for tourism or business. Travellers on an ETA visa are permitted to stay in Australia for a maximum of three months. The following conditions apply:

  • Applicants must apply for the ETA online through the Australian government’s website.
  • ETA visas cost $20. Applicants must pay by credit card.
  • Yes. Every traveller must apply for their own ETA, including young children.

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

The visitor visa is a more flexible visa for visitors on short-term tourist and business trips. Eligible visitors can apply from inside and outside Australia, depending on the passport they hold. This visa:

  • Applicant must apply for the visitor visa online through the Australian government's website.
  • Costs between $145 and $1,065 depending on the trip length.
  • Allows visitors to stay for between 3 and 12 months.

How is a visitor visa different from an ETA?

  • The visitor visa has more flexible conditions for visitors, including length of trip and visa costs.
  • Passport holders of some countries may be eligible for an ETA but not for a visitor visa, or vice versa.
  • The visitor visa is also used by travellers from the People’s Republic of China on registered group tours.

eVisitor visa (subclass 651)

The eVisitor visa is similar to the ETA. Applicants must be outside Australia when they apply online. Like the ETA, the eVisitor visa allows for visits of up to three months. This visa, unlike the ETA, is free.

Who can apply for an eVisitor visa?

  • Visitors from 36 European countries, including France, Germany and the United Kingdom, can apply for eVisitor visas.
  • You must apply for this visa from outside Australia.
  • Applicants must apply for the ETA online through the Australian government's website.

Visitor visas summary

VisaHow to applyCostLength
  • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)
Online here$203 months
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600)
Online here (account required)$145 - $1,065 (depending on circumstances)3-12 months
  • eVisitor visa (subclass 651)
Online here (account required)Free3 months

If you are unsure of what type of visitor visa you will require, you can visit the Australian immigration website for more details. Alternatively you can seek the advice of an authorised migration agent who will be able to advise you on the best visa for your situation.

What other visitor visas are available?

There are a few other visitor visa options available. Most of the options will depend on which passport you hold as well as the purpose of your visit.

  • Medical Treatment visa
This visa is for people receiving medical treatment, donating an organ or supporting someone who is having medical treatment who has this visa.
  • Investor Retirement visa
A visa for investors looking to spend their retirement in Australia.
  • Transit visas
This is for people who will be in Australia for a brief time before travelling onward to another country.
  • Working Holiday visa
A visa for young people from eligible countries who want to work and holiday in Australia for up to one year (two years in some cases).

You can read more about working holiday visas in our work visa guide.

What are the requirements for an Australian visitor visa?

The requirements for an Australian visitor visa will depend on why you are planning to visit and how long you wish to stay. In all cases you must have a valid passport or travel document from an eligible country.

You should also consider the following:

  • If you are visiting for medical reasons, you will need documents from medical professionals regarding the reasons for your treatments.
  • Any visitor to Australia must be able to prove they are of good character to enter the country.
  • For all visa applications, any official documents you are required to provide (such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of identity, etc.) will need to be certified by legal agencies of the country you live in and translated into English.
  • In some cases you may need to prove your good character by providing a police clearance certificate or other evidence.

How long do visas take to process?

Visa processing times are dependent on the type of visitor visa you are applying for and your personal circumstances, such as your citizenship. Some visas may be processed on the same day; other visas will take up to two months. It is very important that you always ensure that you allow plenty of time for your visa to be processed before travelling.

Do I need a migration agent?

You don’t need a migration agent to make a visitor visa application but an agent may be helpful in navigating the application process. A migration agent can advise on the right type of visa for you as well as ensuring you provide the correct documentation, which allows for a much smoother application.

Find a migration agent

Written by

Richard Whitten

Richard Whitten is a money editor at Finder, and has been covering home loans, property and personal finance for 6+ years. He has written for Yahoo Finance, Money Magazine and Homely; and has appeared on various radio shows nationwide. He holds a Certificate IV in mortgage broking and finance (RG 206), a Tier 1 Generic Knowledge certification and a Tier 2 General Advice Deposit Products (RG 146) certification. See full profile

More guides on Finder

  • Work visas

    A guide to Australia's work visas, their rules and conditions, which jobs are eligible and how to apply.

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

16 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MaMarch 7, 2023

    Hi I want to inquire how can I apply for another new visit visa

    Default Gravatar
    sunilMarch 11, 2020

    Hello. I want to visitor visa for my family. only 15 days. My real younger brother family is a citizenship holder
    I am 41 years old. Which documents are needed from my family to apply for Visitor Visa and fees?

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiMarch 12, 2020

      Hi Sunil,

      Thanks for your comment and I hope you are well.

      As your family will only visit for 15 days, your family can get a Visitor visa (subclass 600). As it says above, this visa is good for short term trips. Their eligibility will depend on the passport they hold. The costs is between $135 and $1,000 depending on the trip length and will be determined upon the actual visa application.

      I hope this helps and feel free to reach out to us again for further assistance.


    Default Gravatar
    GitanjaliDecember 31, 2019

    My father-in-law, mother-in-law and sister-in-law wish to visit us in Australia under family sponsored short term (3 months) visiting visa in January 2020. Do they need to lodge 3 separate 1418 forms? Will the visa fee be 3*$135?

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiJanuary 4, 2020

      Hi Gitanjali,

      Thanks for your comment and I hope you are doing well. It’s great to know that you’re family is visiting!

      They would need to lodge separate 1418 forms which means they would pay $135 each. Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to us again for further assistance.


    Default Gravatar
    AselSeptember 5, 2019


    My second cousin has recently been granted tourist visa 600 from October 2019 for 3 moths stay with multiple entries. She financially supports herself but staying at my place in Oz. Can my mum still apply for a visitor visa to visit me as well?


      JeniSeptember 6, 2019Finder

      Hi Asel,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      Yes, your mum can still apply for the visitor visa to visit you in Australia.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    SteveSeptember 4, 2019

    I’m a guarantor for a visitors visa
    Can I cancel guarantee if I want too

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiSeptember 5, 2019

      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for your message. I wish I could help you further however, the information on our page is limited regarding guarantor for a visitor visa. While we review visitor visas in our pages, it’s helpful to know that we don’t work with the Australian Embassy. It would be best to contact them directly for further assistance. You can find their contact details when you visit their website.

      Hope this clarifies and we hope they find a quick resolution for you!

      With care,

Go to site