Disclaimer: Exchange rates change often. Confirm the total cost with the provider before transferring money.
How to sell on Newegg Australia
If you want to start selling on the Newegg marketplace, here’s how to set yourself up for success.
Newegg is a tech-focused online marketplace where users can buy and sell computer products and consumer electronics. If you're a Newegg seller, you can list and promote your products to an audience of millions of buyers in more than 80 countries.
However, there's plenty you'll need to learn before you can begin selling on the Newegg marketplace, so keep reading for everything you need to know to get started.
What's in this guide?
- How do I decide what to sell on Newegg
- How to find products to sell
- How much does it cost to sell on Newegg
- Is selling on Newegg worth it?
- How do I create an account on Newegg?
- How to price your items
- What types of payment does Newegg accept?
- How to get paid by international buyers
- How to organise shipping
- How do I market my Newegg products?
- What to watch out for with Newegg
- Frequently asked questions
How do I decide what to sell on Newegg
Newegg is best known as an online marketplace for computer hardware and consumer electronics. However, the variety of items you can list on the platform is a little broader than that and includes the following:
- Apparel and accessories, including sunglasses, shoes and wallets
- Arts and crafts
- Auto and hardware, including car electronics, tyres, parts and accessories
- Baby supplies
- Beauty supplies
- Books, media and entertainment
- Mobile phones and accessories
- Computer hardware
- Consumer electronics, including TVs, tablets and audio systems
- DVD and videos
- Food and beverage
- Health and personal care
- Home and living supplies, including furniture and cookware
- Home improvement products, including power tools and home automation systems
- Motorcycles and riding gear
- Musical instruments
- Office supplies
- Outdoor and garden products
- Pet supplies
- Sporting goods
- Toys, games and hobbies
- Gaming consoles and video games
How to find products to sell
You can find products to sell on Newegg by completing a few simple steps:
- Research the market. Browse the Newegg marketplace to find out which products are the most popular sellers and what their price points are.
- Choose between niche and popular products. Consider whether you want to sell products that target a specialist niche or sell in-demand products that everyone needs.
- Compare suppliers. Once you know what you want to sell, you can start comparing quotes from a range of suppliers. Remember to consider where your inventory will be stored and how it will be shipped to buyers around the world before deciding which supplier is the right choice for your business.
How much does it cost to sell on Newegg
There is no fee to create a Newegg account or to sign up for the platform's cross-border selling program, Newegg Global. However, you can register for a paid monthly membership if you want to access additional account features.
|Dedicated account manager|
|Premium Seller Store|
|Curated marketing programs|
|Personalised post-purchase email|
|Shipped by Newegg SBN fulfilment||Standard||5% discount||10% discount|
|Newegg Shipping Label Service||Standard||5% discount||10% discount|
|Item listings||Up to 5,000||Up to 25,000||Unlimited|
When you sell to international buyers through Newegg Global, you'll also need to pay a sales commission on each item you sell. Sales in the US attract a flat commission of 12%, but commission rates for sales to other countries vary depending on the product category.
Let's crunch the numbers
Sue sells a vacuum cleaner to a shopper in the UK for $400 (including shipping)
- The commission rate is 12%.
- Newegg will take a commission of $48.
- Sue receives payment of $352.
Of course, this example doesn't take into account whether Sue has a paid monthly membership. It also doesn't consider the additional cost of converting the GBP she receives as payment into AUD.
Is selling on Newegg worth it?
With the ability to target more than 35 million customers in over 80 countries, Newegg offers a host of advantages to online sellers. However, the costs involved can add up, while selling online also comes with a number of risks attached. As a result, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to turn online selling into a successful business.
That said, you can do a few simple things to increase your chances of success:
- Research the market. Browse Newegg's sales categories to find out which products are popular sellers and why. Is there a gap in the market you can fill? Can you offer similar products at better prices than your competitors?
- Calculate all costs. Before you sign up and start selling, make sure you know all the costs involved. From membership fees and commission rates to the cost of sourcing, storing and shipping stock, there are several expenses you need to consider.
- Create better listings. Use high-quality product images and ensure that all product descriptions are SEO-friendly. This will help you attract more customers and increase your chances of converting browsers into buyers.
- Find ways to save. From using a third-party fulfilment provider to opening an online seller account to save money when you convert sales revenue into AUD, there are plenty of ways to cut costs when you sell on Newegg.
How do I create an account on Newegg?
You can start selling on Newegg by following the below process step by step.
How to price your items
You'll need to consider a few different factors when pricing your products on Newegg:
- Your expenses. Add up how much it costs you to source, store and ship each item in your inventory. You'll also need to include all other overhead costs, including Newegg fees, in your calculations.
- The market. Research the price points other sellers have chosen for similar products. This should give you an idea of the most successful pricing strategies.
- Your buyers. To find out how much buyers are willing to pay, you can also experiment with different pricing strategies.
Once you've considered all these factors, you should be able to list your product in a price range that suits you and your customers.
What types of payment does Newegg accept?
Buyers on Newegg can pay for their purchases using the following methods:
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
Online sellers can receive payments from Newegg via a few different options:
- Bank wire transfer (if you choose this as your primary payment option, you can also enable PayPal as a supplemental payment method)
How to get paid by international buyers
When international buyers pay you in foreign currency, you'll need to find a cost-effective way to convert those funds back to AUD. You can do this via your bank or a service like Payoneer, but this would mean accepting a poor exchange rate for your transaction.
However, you can find better value for money by opening an online seller account. Commonly offered by international money transfer services, these accounts allow you to receive payments in multiple currencies. This ensures quick payment and allows you to lock in a better exchange rate when you convert back to AUD.
Check out the features of leading online seller accounts in the table below.
How to organise shipping
There are multiple shipping options to choose from on Newegg:
- Ship items yourself. You can ship items directly to your customers using either Australia Post or a dedicated courier service. You'll need to consider both domestic and international shipping costs and time frames to find the fastest and most cost-effective methods. And because the majority of Newegg users are based in the United States, offering fast and affordable shipping to the USA will help widen your customer base.
- Newegg International Shipping Program. If you're shipping items that are stored in the United States, you can sign up for the Newegg International Shipping Program. This means that when you receive an order, you can ship it to Newegg's warehouse and Newegg will take care of shipping it overseas.
- Shipped by Newegg (SBN). Shipped by Newegg is the platform's order fulfillment service. When you use SBN, Newegg picks, packages and ships your orders internationally, and also takes care of returns.
How do I market my Newegg products?
There are a few ways you can promote your Newegg products to shoppers. These include the following paid advertising opportunities:
- Promoted Listings allow you to advertise your products in certain Etsy search results
- Google Shopping lets you promoting your products in Google search results
However, you can also market your products using a range of free tools and promotional strategies, such as the following:
- Banner ads
- Featuring products in the Hot Deals section and monthly marketing emails
- Listing products on Newegg's affiliate sites, such as Slickdeals and RetailMeNot
- Google Shopping advertising campaigns
- Using the A+ Content service to integrate videos, charts and other features into your listings
- Customised box marketing inserts
If you sign up for a paid membership plan, you can also take advantage of the Premium Seller Store feature. You can use this to customise your store appearance, feature products and incorporate video or HTML on your landing page.
What to watch out for with Newegg
There are a few issues to be aware of if you're thinking of selling on Newegg:
- Predominantly US market. While Newegg allows you to target shoppers in more than 80 countries, it's largely geared towards a US audience. For example, fees on Newegg are listed in USD, and according to SimilarWeb data (September 2019), more than 70% of visitors to the site on desktop devices are based in the USA.
- High sales commissions. Newegg commission rates for most products range from 10-15%, so consider the impact these fees will have on your bottom line.
- Limited free features. You'll need to sign up for a paid membership plan to access the best sales tools and resources on Newegg.
- Tech focus. While you can list a wide range of items, Newegg is best known as a tech marketplace. If you're selling products that don't fit into the computer or electrical categories, you might find more buyers on other marketplaces.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert