Start buying and selling Australian shares quickly and easily with the CommSec Share Trading Account.
CommSec is the online security trading arm of the Commonwealth Bank, one of Australia’s largest banks.
With a CommSec Share Trading Account, customers can trade shares online quickly, easily and affordably. CommSec’s brokerage fees are competitive and it offers free real-time quotes, news and live charting to help give traders a market advantage.
Commsec offers features for both casual and regular investors.
What can I trade with a CommSec Share Trading Account?
With a CommSec Share Trading Account you can buy and sell:
- Australian shares. Invest in companies listed on the ASX.
- International shares. CommSec allows you to access more than 25 exchanges in the world, including the NYSE, NASDAQ, LSE and the TYO.
- Company options. These options are issued by companies when they want to generate capital and trade on the ASX. Owning options gives you the right to buy more shares in the same company at a specific price level. Both Australian and some international ETOs can be traded.
- Exchange Traded Funds (EFTs). These are managed funds that can be traded on a stock exchange just like normal shares. Both Australian and some international ETFs can be traded with CommSec.
- Partly paid securities. Trading these securities does not require you to make full payment immediately. You make a small upfront payment to acquire the security and then make further instalments over time.
Features of the CommSec Share Trading Account
- Market data. CommSec Share Trading Accounts provide you with free real-time data and news, allowing you to stay abreast of market developments.
- Research. CommSec provides a range of free research tools to help customers make informed trading decisions. Customers can access live market depth, live charting, company announcements, share market news and reports, weekly stock recommendations, and stock prices and trends.
- Access. Customers can place trades online, over the phone or via mobile apps for iPhone and Android devices.
- Commonwealth Direct Investment Account (CDIA) You can set up a Commonwealth Direct Investment Account (CDIA) to act as both a settlement account with low brokerage fees, and also as an everyday transaction account.
If you ever need assistance with a particular trade or with any aspect of your CommSec Share Trading Account, phone and email support is offered from 8am to 7pm, Monday to Friday. Alternatively, there’s also an extensive online database of frequently asked questions that you can access if you need instant answers, and the CommSec Community forum where you can chat to fellow traders.
What do I have to pay to use the CommSec Share Trading Account?
These are the basic charges for the CommSec Share Trading Account:
Ongoing fees. There are no monthly fees associated with this account and you can open it for free.
Brokerage fees. CommSec’s brokerage fees vary depending on how you place your trade and the cash settlement method you choose:
- Internet preferred share trades, (those placed by CHESS Participant Sponsored Customers and settled through a Commonwealth Direct Investment Account or through a CommSec Margin Loan/CommSec Adviser Services Investment Loan) of up to $10,000 incur a $19.95 brokerage fee. This fee rises to $29.95 for trades between $10,000 and $25,000 and to 0.12% for trades over $25,000.
- If you choose a different cash settlement account: Fees of $29.95 (for trades up to $10,000) or 0.31% (for trades over $10,000) apply. Trades of up to $10,000 placed over the phone attract a brokerage fee of $59.95.
Pros and cons of using a CommSec Share Trading Account
- Easy to use. CommSec Share Trading Accounts offer an intuitive user interface that makes it fast and easy to buy and sell shares, plus apps for smartphone users.
- Solid information. From real-time market data to market depth, stock recommendations and a range of research, CommSec offers plenty of useful resources without charging a monthly fee.
- WebIRESS Access. This popular share trading software for monitoring markets and trades is not included in the basic CommSec account, but you can add it for a monthly fee or after completing a minimum number of trades.
- No online chat available. No live chat support is available at this stage.
How do I apply for a CommSec Share Trading Account?You’ll need:
- To be 18 years or older
- To provide your name, date of birth and contact details
- A valid email address
- A current mobile phone number
- A tax file number or exemption code
Frequently asked questions
Do you need to be an Australian resident to open an account?
Yes, CommSec Share Trading Accounts are only available for Australian residents.
How do I transfer my shares to CommSec?
If you want to transfer shares held with another broker to your CommSec Share Trading Account, you’ll need to fill out a Broker to Broker Transfer Form, which you can download after logging into your CommSec account.
If the shares you wish to transfer are held with the share registry, you will have to complete and submit an Issuer Sponsored Holdings to CHESS Sponsorship Transfer Form.
This can also be downloaded from CommSec, but it’s important to remember that the shares you transfer must have the same registration details (i.e., your name and address) as your CommSec account.
What is the smallest purchase I can make?
The minimum amount of shares you can buy online is $500.
What is a Commonwealth Direct Investment Account (CDIA)?
This is a Commonwealth Bank account specifically designed for CommSec share traders. Using one of these accounts as your settlement accounts entitles you to lower brokerage fees. You can also optionally attach a debit MasterCard.
How can I pay for my shares?
You can deposit funds into your account in three ways: direct debit from your linked bank account, via BPAY or by visiting a branch.
How do I know when a trade has been completed?
When you have placed a buy or sell order that results in a trade, you will receive a Confirmation Contract Note via email or post. Depending on your preferences, you can opt to receive this note in both post and email form.
You can also access up-to-date information on the status of your order on the CommSec website at all times.
Do I need to open an account in order to sell shares through CommSec?
No, CommSec offers a ‘One Off Trade’ service that allows you to sell shares at market price without opening an account.
Do I need to pay any ongoing fees?
No, there are no monthly or annual account keeping fees attached to a CommSec Share Trading Account. However, brokerage fees do apply whenever you make a trade.