Wise Travel Money Card Review
- Initial Load Fee
- Reload fee
The Wise Travel Money Card is suited to people who want to spend in a lot of different currencies without thinking about complex currency conversion rates. It gives you a way to hold and spend in over 40 currencies, which is a lot more than most travel money cards on the market in Australia. It also converts currency at the mid-market rate, while most other cards (and even money transfer services) set their own rates to make a profit on the exchange.
|Available Currencies||AUD, USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, JPY, NZD, SGD|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card?||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||4|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$0|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee||
2 free ATM withdrawals per month up to AUD$350, then AUD$1.50 and 1.75% per withdrawal
|Available to Temporary Residents?||Yes|
Wise Travel Money Card supported currencies
This card lets you hold over 40 currencies, including:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Chinese yuan (CNY)
- Emirates dirham (AED)
- Euros (EUR)
- Great Britain pounds (GBP)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
- Thai baht (THB)
- United States dollars (USD)
You'll also typically be able to use the Wise Travel Money Card in most countries and regions around the world, with any business that accepts Mastercard/Visa. But places where your card won't work include Cuba, Iran, Iraq and Myanmar.
Features of the Wise Travel Money Card
- Support for over 40 currencies. The Wise Travel Money Card lets you hold and spend in a wide range of currencies, which can make it easier to keep track of your spending and budget.
- Competitive exchange rates. Wise uses the mid-market rate for exchanges so you get the same rate that's typically listed on Google, Bing and other search engines.
- 2 free ATM withdrawals per month. Wise won't charge an ATM when you withdraw up to AUD$350 over 2 or less transactions in a month. After that, you'll be charged fees worth AUD$1.50 and 1.75% of each withdrawal.
- Instant virtual cards. You can get up to 3 virtual cards linked to your Wise account to keep track of different types of spending. You'll also be able to start using your virtual card as soon as you've set up your account by adding it to Apple Pay or Google Pay.
- Plastic card. You'll also get 1 plastic card sent to you, which you can use for in-person payments anywhere Mastercard/Visa are accepted.
- Wise app. The Wise app lets you top up and convert currency in real time, so you know exactly how much you'll have in any of the supported currencies. You can also freeze your card, organise a new one and manage other account features.
How much does the Wise Travel Money Card cost?
- Application fee. A one-time $10 fee applies when you first get this Wise card.
- ATM fees. After the first $350 of withdrawals in a month, a fee of 1.75% applies. You'll also pay a $1.50 fee for each ATM withdrawal after the first 2 you make in a month.
- Load fees. There is no fee to load funds on by bank transfer from Australia. But a fee will be charged for loading funds by debit card, credit card or SWIFT. The exact fee will be shown on your Wise account when you select "Add Money".
- Currency conversion. If you're spending in a currency that's not loaded onto the card, there will be a fee to convert it. The fee starts from 0.43% of the transaction value and varies by currency.
- No currency order. Unlike many prepaid, multi-currency travel cards, Wise does not have a set drawdown order when you're spending in a currency not loaded on your account. Instead, the funds will be taken from the balance that has the lowest currency conversion fee.
- Funding other accounts. If you use your Wise card to fund an e-wallet, cryptocurrency account, betting account or any other account that may be convertible to cash, a 2% fee applies.
How to apply for the Wise Travel Money Card
If you already have a Wise account, you can order a Wise Travel Money Card in a few minutes by logging into your account.
If you're new to Wise and over 18 years of age, you can get this card by following these steps:
- Sign up and add your first balance to the account.
- Request a card through your account and follow the prompts to verify your identity.
- Set up your virtual card/s and activate the plastic card when it arrives in the mail.
You can use the virtual cards instantly. And after you've activated the plastic card, you can use it to spend the funds loaded on your Wise account around the world and online.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked