Plus500 review: Global CFD trading platform
Trade more than 2000 CFD instruments including forex, commodities and cryptocurrencies from the one account.
Plus500 is a well-recognised provider of Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in Australia, offering stock (CFD), commodity and forex trading for retail traders. With over 2000 financial instruments including share market CFDs, Plus500 is a solid all-round trading option.
|Type of broker||Online|
|Available markets||70 global currency pairings, commodities, cryptocurrency, index CFDs, stock CFDs, options|
|Minimum Spreads for Major Currencies||0.7 - 3.0 pips|
|Minimum opening balance||200|
|Minimum Trade Size||N/A|
|Leverage||1:20 - 30:1|
|Platforms||Plus500 Trading Platform|
|Support||Email and live chat|
Plus500 is accessible via your online browser, Windows 10 and iOs/Android mobile phones. Plus500 has one of the highest ratings for CFD trading apps on Apple's App Store and Google Play, thanks to its user-friendly and innovative features. Take a look at our review for more details.
- Trade stock CFDs and forex from the one account
- Multiple international markets
- No commissions +
- Live chat
Not so great for
- No physical share trading
- CFDs are risky
- No phone support
Headquartered in Israel, but holding licenses in multiple jurisdictions, Plus500 services clients the world over. Plus500 is a global powerhouse in the CFD and forex trading space, with a listing on the London Stock Exchange and a front of shirt sponsorship with football giants Atletico Madrid.
If you're an Australian trader, then it's worth noting that the company's Australian subsidiary, Plus500 AU LTD is licensed by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and has an office presence in Sydney.
Note: Plus500AU Pty Ltd (ACN 153301681), licensed by ASIC in Australia, AFSL #417727, FMA in New Zealand, FSP #486026; Authorised Financial Services Provider in South Africa, FSP #47546. You do not own or have any rights to the underlying assets. Please refer to the Disclosure documents available on the website.
What are the key features of a Plus500 CFD trading account?
Here are some of the main features from Plus500:
Plus500 doesn't charge commissions on trades, instead running a spread-only model that ensures traders' costs are clear when they enter and exit trades. The spread is variable and up-to-date prices are always streamed live to your trading platform.
Trade commodities, stock CFDs and forex on one platform
You'll have access to more than 2000 tradable markets, including local/international share market CFDs, forex, indices, commodities and cryptocurrency markets. You're able to trade them all long and short on margin.
Trading account accessibility
You can access your Plus500 trading account via a cloud based trading platform, desktop platform, smartphone app (iOS and Android) and even dedicated tablet apps (iOS and Android). Trade your way, wherever you may be.
Free demo account
Using pretend money, you can learn how to effectively trade CFDs and forex before committing your own money on a live account.
Advanced trading tools
A number of tools are accessible on the Plus500 trading platform to help you manage your risk and get the best possible price. These include stop loss orders, stop limit orders, trailing stop orders, limit setting, price alerts and guaranteed stops.
Australian regulated broker
Plus500 is licensed in Australia by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and it follows strict regulatory requirements. This includes holding all client funds in a segregated trust account which cannot used for hedging purposes.
Plus500AU Pty Ltd (ACN 153301681), licensed by: ASIC in Australia, AFSL #417727, FMA in New Zealand, FSP #486026; Authorised Financial Services Provider in South Africa, FSP #47546. You do not own or have any rights to the underlying assets. Please refer to the Disclosure documents available on the website.
What markets can I trade with Plus500?
Plus500 offers services and options that will please practically every type of investor. Through the Plus500 trading platform, you are able to gain access to financial market data including real-time data to help guide your trading decisions. Once you have been signed up you will have access to:
- Shares CFDs. Australian and global share CFDs are available from over 20 different countries. This includes shares listed on exchanges in the United States, Germany, the UK, France and more. Some of the most popular share market CFDs are Telstra, Woolworths and Facebook.
- Forex CFDs. You can trade foreign exchange markets (forex) on the Plus500 platform and pay no commissions on your activity.
- Index CFDs. There are dozens of indices available to trade on the Plus500 platform, acting as a key diversification for your investments. Pick from the Australia 200, the S&P 500, the Italy 40 and many more.
- Commodities CFDs. Trade a number of commodity market CFDs on leverage, with an account as small as $100. Popular commodities markets available on the Plus500 platform include gold, silver and oil.
- ETF CFDs. Trade CFDs that track the price of some of the most popular Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) such as the VXX volatility index. Access ETF markets with low spreads and free stops and limits on all ETF CFD orders.
- Options CFDs. Call or put option CFDs are available on markets such as the Dax 30, S&P 500, CAC 40, MIB 40, and the AEX 25. No commissions are charged as you're still trading CFDs and not holding the underlying asset itself.
- Cryptocurrency CFDs. Plus500 lets you trade a wide range of cryptocurrency CFDs. Features of the trading platform including price alerts, stop loss and trailing stop orders, are also well suited to the volatile nature of cryptocurrency, all there to help you manage risk.
What customer support and information is available from Plus500?
If you are having an issue with your Plus500 account, their comprehensive FAQ page should be able to help solve your problem. If your issue requires a more personalised response, you can email Plus500 or simply start an instant live chat conversation, both directly from the contact us section of their website.
As for market data itself, up to the minute prices and spreads can be accessed through your online trading platform 24 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's all accessible in the one place.
What are the spreads and fees from Plus500?
- No Commissions. Unlike other CFD and forex brokers that also charge commissions on each trade, Plus500 does not charge commissions on trades, only the spread. The spread is variable between products, with up-to-date spreads always displayed within your trading platform.
- Holding a trade overnight. As is standard practise, an overnight funding amount is either added to or subtracted from open trades when holding a position overnight. Check the 'Overnight Funding Time' on the market details within your trading platform.
- Inactivity fee. In the event that your Trading Platform is inactive for 3 months, you will incur a fee of $10. This is to offset the cost incurred in making the service available to you, even though it's not being used.
- Currency conversion fee. Plus500 charges a currency conversion fee for new clients of up to 0.7% of the trade’s realised profit and loss (starting January 2020).
What are the pros and cons of trading with Plus500?
- Range of markets to trade. Opening an account with Plus500 gives you access to a broad range of investments, including both share market CFDs and forex market options.
- You can trade multiple international markets. With Plus500, you're not limited to Australian markets and can invest in various markets all over the world.
- No commissions. There is no sign-up fee for using the Plus500 platform. Trading costs are also covered within the spread, meaning no commissions.
- Free demo access. For Australians who are new to trading CFDs and forex, a free Plus500 demo account can help you to understand how it works before risking your own money.
- Not a multi-asset platform. Plus500 specialise in CFD trading. You can not buy and own physical shares through this platform.
- There's limited physical support. You are limited in expert support and advice with Plus500 compared to other online brokerage firms. It only has email and online chat services.
How do I open an account with Plus500?
If you're ready to open a CFD or forex trading account with Plus500, you'll need to click one of the 'go to site' links on this page and fill out the sign up form on the Plus500 website page that opens.
While accessing a demo account will take you 30 seconds with a name and email address, in order to open a live account, you'll need to provide:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- 100 points of ID
- Details of your chosen deposit method
Once your account has been approved by the Plus500 account services team, you will then be able to fund your account.