Cashmart is an Australian pawnbroker with over 40 years industry experience. They provide cash loans in exchange for goods, and the ability to buy, sell and loan second-hand items. When financial pressures such as urgent bills, medical costs, or home and car maintenance arise, an instant cash loan might provide a short term financial solution without the hassle of securing bank approval, going through credit checks or (if opting to sell their items) getting into debt.
Starting out in 1971 in Hobart, Tasmania as the Bellerive Swap Shop, Cashmart boasts a three-generation history. The business has since grown and diversified beyond traditional pawnbroking and second-hand trade, and now also provides instant cash loans against goods.
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support.
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
Comparison of Payday Loans
We don't compare loans from CashMart directly. Use the table below to see how their product compares to other loans in Australia.
Types of personal loans from Cashmart
Cashmart is a pawnbroker but it does provide short term secured loans to people who don't wish to sell their valuable items. Customers can bring their valuable items in-store and Cashmart will offer a loan up to the product's value. Items such as electronics or sports equipment can be used as forms of security. Cashmart will hold the item at its site until the loan is paid off in full.
Cashmart’s loan amounts range from $50 to $2,000.
Cashmart secured cash loans accumulate fixed interest on a weekly basis, with rates starting at 10% of the principal amount for the first week, and 15% for the second. Fees also apply.*
Customers should aim to pay back a cash loan on their next payday to ensure that they pay minimum interest possible.
*For more information on Cashmart's rates and fees, customers can contact them by phone or in-store directly.
What are the risks of payday loans?
- Unaffordable repayments. Payday loans are an expensive way to borrow money and should only be used as a last resort. Check the size of each repayment and ensure you will be able to pay it on time. Unaffordable repayments can lead to late fees that will only make things worse.
- High rates and fees. Rates and fees on payday loans are high but there are rules in place so be sure to check your lender is not charging you more than ASIC allows. Also, look at what you would be charged if you are late on a payment or if you default on the loan altogether.
- Unreputable lenders. All Australian lenders should be accredited by ASIC. Check for a credit licence on the ASIC Register and ensure that the lender is easily contactable.
- Impact on credit score. Every loan application shows up on credit reports. While lenders might not consider credit history, applying for lots of loans within a short period can have a negative impact on your credit score in the future.
Features of a Cashmart loan
- Access to instant cash.
In as little as 20 minutes, a team member can evaluate and approve a person's items and provide them with cash over the counter.
- No credit-checks.
Getting a personal loan from a bank usually includes a lengthy application process and credit checks. Cash Mart does not consider these factors. Instead, it provides upfront cash based on the value of a person's goods. Customers can increase the value of their loan by providing brand new products with a receipt.
- Repayment terms.
Cashmart allows two days leeway on top of the one month period before the interest increases.
What other products does Cashmart offer?
- Buy second-hand products: Cashmart offer a leading range of second-hand products, including technology, jewellery, gold, musical instruments and more.
- Trade products: If there is an item in stock that someone would like to purchase, Cashmart may accept a trade-in product, as opposed to cash.
- Jewellery evaluation: Cashmart’s team of experts offer evaluations for expensive jewellery including gold and diamonds.
- Sell second-hand products: Cashmart will pay cash for unwanted items they can resell. Customers can boost their cash amount by selling new products (as long as they have a receipt) or let a team member evaluate the quality of the second-hand items.
How to apply for a personal loan from Cashmart
Cashmart’s instant personal loans are granted in store at the Dandenong and Frankston locations in Victoria. Interested borrowers can make an enquiry about an item online or visit one of Cashmart’s stores to allow an expert team member evaluate an item for them. It’s also possible to telephone either of the stores for personal advice.
Customers will need to bring in an ID with the items they intend to loan or sell. Many items accepted by the lender are common personal belongings, including items such as jewellery and electronics.
The team at Cash Mart has experience in evaluating a wide range of products- including gold and diamonds and claim to give customers maximum cash for their goods.