What is CMC Markets?
CMC Markets is a publicly listed, UK-based financial service company that allows you to trade shares, contracts for difference or foreign exchange markets from a number of countries including Australia.
Founded in 1989 and with over 1 million investors, CMC is one of the most well-established and highly regarded brokers.
To see our CMC share trading market review click here.
The options you can trade with CMC Markets
Your CMC Markets trading account gives you access to more than 10,000 global products via CFDs, including:
- Shares. Access over 9,000 global shares in more than 20 markets around the world.
- Indices. Choose from over 80 indices products, including the Australia 200, UK 100 and Germany 30.
- Commodities. More than 100 commodity products are available to trade.
- Forex. More than 330 currency pairs are offered to you through CMC Markets.
- Treasuries. Trade on over 55 treasuries products.
- Warrants. Invest in leading Australian companies and other underlying assets.
- Options. These can be used to earn income, generate wealth or even hedge your position in a falling market.
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Access more than 1,000 ETFs.
- mFunds. The ASX’s mFund Settlement Service allows you to invest in unlisted managed funds.
- Managed funds. CMC Markets offers access to funds that cover all asset classes.
- Interest rate securities and bonds. These options offer a steady and secure form of investment.
- Cryptocurrencies. Trade 19 major and alt coins with CMC Markets.
Features of a CMC Markets trading account
- Market data. CMC Markets provides price data from markets around the world, including Canada, Germany, Switzerland, UK and US markets.
- Research. CMC Markets offers events and seminars, market reports, news and analysis.
- Access. Placing trades through your CMC Markets trading account can be done online, over the phone or using the CMC Markets app on iPhone, iPad or your Android device.
- Next Generation platform. CMC Markets’ Next Generation platform has been built to suit the needs of active traders. It offers advanced research and charting, unlimited free conditional orders and the ability to process orders in less than 1 second.
- Award-winning charts. The platform offers more than 115 technical indicators and drawing tools, 70 chart patterns and 12 chart types.
- Demo account. The free demo account allows you to practise trading before you commit to trading CFDs.
- Regulated in Australia. CMC Markets is regulated in Australia by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).
What trading platforms are available?
CMC Markets offers 1 platform for CFD and forex traders called the CFD Next Generation platform. It also has a separate platform for direct share trading which offers ASX and global stocks.
The Next Generation platform is web- and mobile-based and is available on compatible iOS and Android devices. It features more than 115 technical indicators and charts to help with your trading analysis, and a range of useful tools including the price projection tool and pattern recognition tool. You can also connect with other traders via the chat forum, an online trading community enabling you to discuss and share trading insights.
Who is CMC designed for?
CMC Markets will suit long-term investors and traders alike with its extensive range of products and features designed for both beginners and more experienced investors.
For those newer to investing, the broker offers a range of educational resources which can help you along your journey. In terms of trading, it's also relatively simple to use, although having some technical knowledge wouldn't go astray.
As for more experienced traders, the broker has a competitive fee structure which should appeal to most. As such, it recently won Finder's investment award as Best Overall Broker.
What support/information is available with a CMC Markets trading account?
If you need assistance with a particular trade or with any aspect of your CMC Markets account, it’s easy to get in touch with CMC Markets. Phone, email and live chat support are all available.
There are also plenty of educational resources to improve trading knowledge. These include instructional articles and videos, trading guides, a blog, events run by market experts and much more, plus a free demo account.
What fees will I pay?
When you trade CFDs or forex using a CMC Markets trading account, you’ll need to consider the spread, which is the difference between the buy and the sell prices.
In addition, you’ll need to consider the commission charge that applies to your trades. The minimum spread applied to a forex CFD is 0.7 points, with margins from 0.20%. Commission on share CFDs starts at 0.10%.
If you want to access CMC Markets’ price data for share CFDs, you may need to pay a monthly subscription fee. While no fee applies when you want to access US data, a $20 fee applies to Australian market data. Finally, keep in mind that holding costs may apply to positions that are held open at the end of a trading day.
How do I fund my account?
How do I apply for a CMC Markets trading account?
To apply for a Trading Account from CMC Markets, simply click the "Go to site" link on this page to be securely redirected to an online application form.
To apply for an account you will need to provide:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- Your tax file number
- Details of your financial background
Of course, it’s vital that you are fully aware of all the risks involved in trading CFDs before you sign up for an account.
This information is general in nature and is no substitute for professional advice. It does not take into account your personal situation. This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of futures, stocks, ETFs, CFDs, options or any specific provider, service or offering. It should not be relied upon as investment advice or construed as providing recommendations of any kind. Futures, stocks, ETFs and options trading involves substantial risk of loss and therefore are not appropriate for most investors. You do not own or have any interest in the underlying asset. Capital is at risk, including the risk of losing more than the amount originally put in, market volatility and liquidity risks. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Tax on profits may apply. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determination for the product on the provider's website. Consider your own circumstances, including whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money and possess the relevant experience and knowledge. We recommend that you obtain independent advice from a suitably licensed financial advisor before making any trades.