CMC Markets Forex and CFD trading
Trade 10,000+ CFD products with competitive spreads across forex.
Disclaimer: Trading CFDs and forex on leverage is high-risk and you could lose more than your initial investment. It may not be suitable for every investor. Refer to the provider's PDS and consider the risks before trading.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
|Type of broker||Online|
|Available markets||25+ currencies, cryptocurrency, indices, bonds|
|Minimum Spreads for Major Currencies||0.7 - 1.5 pips|
|Leverage||1:1 - 500:1|
|Minimum opening balance||$0|
|Minimum Trade Size||0.01 lots|
|Platforms||CFD Next Generation|
|Support||Phone, email and live chat|
CMC Markets offers easy-to-use, intuitive trading platforms and a selection of competitive features. Their CFD platform boasts more than 9000 global shares and ETFs (CFDs), with commissions as low as 0.08% (for UK shares). Read on to learn more about CMC Market's trading platforms.
Pros and cons of using a CMC Markets trading account
- Reputable provider. CMC Markets is a well established broker that has been operating for more than 25 years.
- Trading options. You can trade over 10,000 products on markets around the world.
- Demo account. You can sign up for a demo account before you start trading with real money.
- CFDs are risky. Trading CFDs is risky - make sure you’re fully aware of these risks before you decide to start trading.
- MetaTrader 4 not available. This platform is the most popular trading platform around the world, and is not supported with CMC Markets.
- Commissions on CFDs. CFD commissions aren't as low as some other brokers.
What can I trade with CMC Markets?
Your CMC Markets trading account gives you access to more than 10,000 global products via CFDs, including:
- Shares. Access over 9000 global shares in more than 20 markets around the world.
- Indices. Choose from over 90 indices products, including the Australia 200, UK 100 and Germany 30.
- Commodities. More than 100 commodity products available to trade.
- Forex. More than 330 currency pairs are offered to you through CMC Markets.
- Treasuries. Trade on over 55 treasuries products.
- Warrants. Invest in leading Australian companies and other underlying assets.
- Options. These can be used to earn income, generate wealth or even hedge your position in a falling market.
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs). Access more than 1000 ETFs.
- mFunds. The ASX’s mFund Settlement Service allows you to invest in unlisted managed funds.
- Managed funds. CMC Markets offers access to funds that cover all asset classes.
- Interest rate securities and bonds. These options offer a steady and secure form of investment.
Features of a CMC Markets trading account
- Market data. CMC Markets provides price data from markets around the world, including Canada, Germany, Switzerland, UK and US markets.
- Research. CMC Markets offers events and seminars, market reports, news and analysis.
- Access. Placing trades through your CMC Markets trading account can be done online, over the phone or using the CMC Markets app on iPhone, iPad or your Android device.
- Next Generation platform. CMC Markets’ Next Generation platform has been built to suit the needs of active traders. It offers advanced research and charting, unlimited free conditional orders and the ability to process orders in less than one second.
- Award-winning charts. The platform offers more than 115 technical indicators and drawing tools, 70 chart patterns and 12 chart types.
- Demo account. The free demo account allows you to practice trading before you commit to trading CFDs.
- Regulated in Australia. CMC Markets is regulated in Australia by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC).
What trading platforms are available?
CMC Markets offers one platform for CFD and forex traders called the CFD Next Generation platform. It also has a separate platform for direct share trading which offers ASX and global stocks.
The Next Generation platform is web and mobile-based and is available on compatible iOs and Android devices. It features more than 115 technical indicators and charts to help with your trading analysis, and a range of useful tools including the price projection tool and pattern recognition tool. You can also connect with other traders via the chart forum, an online trading community enabling you to discuss and share trading insights.
What support/information is available with a CMC Markets trading account?
If you need assistance with a particular trade or with any aspect of your CMC Markets account, it’s easy to get in touch with CMC Markets. Phone, email and live chat support are all available.
There are also plenty of educational resources to improve trading knowledge. These include instructional articles and videos, trading guides, a blog, events run by market experts and much more, plus a free demo account.
What fees will you pay?
When you trade CFDs or forex using a CMC Markets trading account, you’ll need to consider the spread, which is the difference between the buy and the sell price. In addition, you’ll need to consider the commission charge that applies to your trades. The minimum spread applied to a forex CFD is 0.7 points, with margins from 0.20%. Commission on share CFDs start at 0.10%.
If you want to access CMC Markets’ price data for share CFDs, you may need to pay a monthly subscription fee. While no fee applies when you want to access US data, a $20 fee applies to Australian market data. Finally, keep in mind that holding costs may apply to positions that are held open at the end of a trading day.
How do you fund your account?
Payment type supported
|Direct debit (debit card)||0.6% of transaction||1-2 days|
|Direct debit (credit card)||1% of transaction||1-2 days|
|AMEX / diners||N/A||N/A|
|Payment over the phone|
Only available if your account is approaching margin call
|As above||As above|
How do I apply for a CMC Markets trading account?
To apply for a Trading Account from CMC Markets, simply click the ‘Go to Site’ link on this page to be securely redirected to an online application form.
To apply for an account you will need to provide:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- Your tax file number
- Details of your financial background
Of course, it’s vital that you are fully aware of all the risks involved in trading CFDs before you sign up for an account.
FAQs about CMC Markets CFD Accounts
More guides on Finder
SelfWealth launches US stock trading – here’s how it compares
The broker is offering US shares for a flat $9.50 fee. So how does it stack up to CommSec or CMC Markets?
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
Tips to trade shares in a volatile market
SPONSORED: October is historically the most volatile month of the year – here's why this year might be the wildest yet.
ThinkMarkets review Australia: ASX share trading
Trade ASX shares and ETFs with commissions starting at $8.
Superhero review: ASX share trading app
Trade ASX stocks and ETFs with a flat $5 brokerage fee and a low minimum investment of just $100.
CMC Markets has $0 brokerage on global shares – how does it compare?
CMC has become Australia's fourth broker to launch commission-free trading in 2020. Here's how it stacks up to the others.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Australian Share Trading Account
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Australian Share Trading Account.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Share Trading Platform (Active Traders)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Share Trading Platform (Active Traders).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Share Trading Platform (Features)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Share Trading Platform (Features).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Share Trading Platform (Long-term Investors)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Share Trading Platform (Long-term Investors).
Ask an Expert