We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A cheap car hire excess insurance policy can be a good way to bring down the expensive excesses rental companies typically charge if your rental is damaged or stolen. However, cheap policies usually come with a few sneaky exclusions, so don't get ripped off with a bargain policy.
Save on your policy with a coupon
Compare cheap car rental excess insurance
|Name||International or domestic cover||Eligible driver age||Features||Starting price (per day)||Apply|
|Both||21–71 years||$5.68 (with a $300 excess payable)||Get quote|
|Both||21–75 years||$9.30 ($0 excess)||Get quote|
|Both||19–99 years||$9.48 ($0 excess)||Get quote|
*Always read through the product disclosure statement (PDS) to make sure the product is suitable for you.
Is it a good idea to get cheap car hire excess insurance?
Without car hire excess insurance, you might have to fork out up to $8,000 if your rental car is damaged in any way. Cheap car hire excess insurance is helpful if you want to reduce that excess but your wallet will still take a hit. Your excess won't be thousands, it's more likely to be a couple hundred bucks, so you'll still be out of pocket.
If that doesn't bother you, then cheap rental car insurance could be just right. It's definitely better than not getting any cover at all.
Just keep in mind that your cover will be limited to your rental agreement without any extra provisions the way other policies might. As an example, if your rental agreement doesn't cover damage to windscreens, then your rental car excess insurance won't cover it either. Some brands like Rentalcover.com and Car Hire Excess actually do cover this as an added benefit.
If you're someone who prefers more comprehensive cover, then getting a cheap policy might not be the best idea. As you can imagine, with any cheap policy, you get what you pay for. Most cheap car hire excess insurance policies will have more restrictions.
What's not included in budget policies
Budget policies have appealing price tags but don't let that trick you; they often come with a catch. Here's what to look out for.
- Excluded cover. Windscreens, tyres, roof and underbody are often excluded from cheap car hire excess insurance policies, which doesn't really help you, considering that a chipped windscreen or flat tyre are among the most common things to go wrong.
- Cover for specific vehicles. Some policies will only cover certain types of vehicles so make sure your car is included if you opt for a cheap policy.
- Excesses. With a cheap policy, you'll probably still have an excess to pay. Sure, it won't be thousands but you could still looking at a few hundred out of pocket.
- Additional drivers. Budget cover may exclude additional drivers or charge more to add them onto the poli
- Cover for lost keys. More comprehensive policies can also include cover for lost keys and replacements.
- Cover for administration fees. If you need to make a claim on your rental car, some rental companies actually charge administration/processing fees. This will be a further out of pocket expense with a cheap policy.
Other ways to save
You don't need to get cheap car rental excess insurance to save money. There are other options out there that give you better value for your money. These include:
- Increase your excess option. Choose a brands that lets you select a level of excess that you're comfortable with and hope you don't have to make a claim.
- Discounts/coupons. Take advantage of available coupons to save a few more dollars off your policy.
- Get an annual policy. If you hire cars regularly, then an annual car excess insurance policy is a cost-effective way to go.
- A travel insurance policy. Are you travelling overseas, interstate or at least 250km away from home when you hire a car? If so, you'll probably already get some kind of travel insurance. All you need to do is take out a policy that includes car rental excess cover.
- Compare car hire. It can save you loads.
More guides on Finder
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Ask an Expert