Best Rated Air Freshener Brand: Ambi Pur
Ambi Pur is the top rated brand for air freshener scent and packaging design. It also scored well for effectiveness.
Key facts about comparing air fresheners:
- Whether you want to mask those unpleasant bathroom odours or just make your home smell a little nicer, reaching for air freshener can help.
- There are several types of air fresheners available including sprays, automatic dispensers, plug-ins, diffusers and more.
- When choosing an air freshener, the number-one consideration is finding a scent that you (and your family) like.
- Also consider the length of effectiveness of a product and which areas of the home it's designed to target.
Types of air fresheners
Take a wander down the air freshener aisle of your local supermarket and it's immediately obvious that you're spoilt for choice. There are several different types of products available, including:
- Sprays. A simple and affordable option, manual sprays are the "point and shoot" options of the air freshener world. They're great for targeting specific areas and surfaces and some are also germ-killing disinfectants.
- Automatic sprays. These battery-powered air fresheners dispense a spray of mist either on a set schedule or in some cases when they detect movement in a room. They're a "set and forget" way to freshen the air, usually providing fragrance for between 30 and 60 days when used at their lowest intensity setting. Refills are also widely available.
- Plug-ins. Plug-in air fresheners are fragrance diffusers that can be plugged in at a powerpoint and freshen the air in your home for around 80-100 days (depending on the setting you select). Battery-powered diffusers are also available. They're another "set and forget" option if you want to make your home smell nicer.
- Reed diffusers. These products use wooden reeds that soak up essential oil from a bottle and then release the scent into the air.
- Scented candles. If you prefer the fragrance and ambience of lighting a scented candle, this may be the option you choose. Of course, the one downside is the risk of fire.
- Gels. These solid air fresheners can be opened to release their fragrance into the air. Some also have an adjustable lid so you can control the intensity of the scent.
There are also many car air fresheners available, from sprays and gels to products that clip onto air vents.
How to compare air fresheners
How can you find the right air freshener for your home? Be sure to consider the following factors when comparing your options.
Most manual spray air fresheners are priced approximately in the $2-$7 range, but some can push up towards the $10 mark. Automatic air fresheners are commonly priced in the $10-$30 range, while plug-ins are generally priced between $7.50 and $15.
As always, be sure to consider the price per 100mL when comparing similar products to ensure you get a fair price comparison. And if you're buying an automatic spray unit, remember to check how much refills will set you back and also factor in the cost of replacement batteries.
The different types of air fresheners we've listed above excel at different tasks. For example, manual sprays are great at targeting odours in specific areas (such as after you flush the toilet) and on surfaces. If you're not trying to eliminate a strong odour, a plug-in diffuser may be a better option to make your home smell a little more pleasant.
In other words, the right air freshener for you depends on the type of odour you want to combat and where in the house you'll be using it.
The most important factor when choosing an air freshener is the scent. This is quite simply a matter of personal preference, so it may take a little trial and error before you find a fragrance that you like.
If you're choosing an air freshener that's going to be a long-term fixture in your living room, such as a plug-in or an automatic spray, you might want to make sure that it looks stylish and won't clash with your existing decor.
Some air freshener sprays also contain disinfectant and can be used to kill germs and viruses.
If you're concerned about chemicals in your air freshener, look for a product that uses essential oils or other natural ingredients.
Check the label to find out how much use you can expect to get out of a bottle, or how many days it will last before needing to be refilled or replaced.
3 things to consider
There are a few other important things you need to know before buying an air freshener:
- Choose an air freshener based on your needs. Are you looking for an air freshener to add a subtle and inviting scent to your home, or something a little more powerful to mask unpleasant bathroom odours? Are you looking for a scent for the bedroom that encourages relaxation, or a warm and welcoming scent for the living room? The best type of air freshener for you will be one that can be used for your desired purpose.
- Don't trust fragrance descriptions. Air freshener fragrances don't always deliver what the description on the label promises. Just because a fragrance is described as "ocean breeze" doesn't necessarily mean the scent will in any way remind you of an ocean breeze, so take these names with a grain of salt. You might need to try a few different products before you find the right match.
- Air purifying bags. Another option you might consider to remove odours around your home is an air purifying bag. Though they're fragrance-free, they feature activated bamboo charcoal that's designed to absorb odours. Some air purifier manufacturers also claim that their appliances can remove odours from the air. Check out our air purifier buying guide or our guide to the best air purifiers in Australia for more information.
Best rated air freshener brand award breakdown