Splend Vehicle Rental
Why use your own car to drive for Uber? Splend offers an Uber-ready vehicle to get you driving with Uber sooner.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Main points to consider when renting a vehicle through Splend
These rental packages are designed for Uber drivers who’d like to either rent a vehicle or put payments towards eventually owning one. You can also take advantage of Splend if you want a car for personal use. Splend will evaluate your credit history as part of the application.
You can choose between models based on your needs or your experience as an Uber driver. Splend's Rent-to-Own plan covers 7 brand-new cars from the compact, SUV, and hybrid categories as well as being compliant with UberXL.
You pay a membership fee and then make weekly payments. The minimum rental period is four or six weeks depending on your contract, with a minimum of two weeks’ notice if you’d like to return the car.
Features of Splend’s vehicle rental
These are some of the features of Splend’s rental contracts:
- Use for Uber or personal use. Splend’s rental contracts are specifically tailored to Uber drivers, but you can also sign up with Splend if you need a car for personal use.
- Access to a Splend Member mobile app. The Member app allows you to track your Uber earnings and driver rating, report accidents and track your kms.
- No lock-in contract. If you’re not happy with your car or you’ve changed your mind about the contract, you can return it within two weeks following the minimum rental period (four weeks if you’re just renting and six weeks for the rent-to-own option).
- Dedicated account manager. When you sign up with Splend you will have a dedicated representative. Your rep is there to help make your Uber venture more profitable and deal with any problems you might come across.
- Transparent costs. There are no hidden costs. Splend lays out all fees in the rental agreement.
- Various models available. You can choose from compact vehicles, hybrids or SUVs, each with its own pricing and fees schedule.
- Insurance. Loss and damage cover is included in the weekly fee.
- Option to take a break. If you are on the rent-to-own plan you can apply to take a two-week "payment holiday".
What's on offer with Splend's member benefits?
- Every Splend Member gets access to discounted car washes.
- Every Splend Member receives a dedicated Member Success Representative who provides you with coaching, training and mentoring to help maintain your rating.
- Earn bonus payments for referring a new Splend Member to a Rent or Rent-to-Own plan.
- Member-only events. Splend host exclusive events where you can hear from ridesharing experts to help you become a more profitable Uber driver.
How much does it cost to rent a vehicle with Splend?
Here are the fees associated with Splend’s rental agreements:
- Membership fee. Renting customers pay a membership fee of $275, while Rent-to-Own customers pay $990 (which is reduced to $275 if you increase the minimum rental period from 12 weeks to 26 weeks).
- Weekly fee. These are the rental repayments that include the cost of the vehicle and loss and damage cover. Weekly fees start at $199 on the rent contract. If you choose the Rent-to-Own contract, weekly fees start at $269.
- Extra kilometres. The contract includes 1,000km per week. Any additional kilometres imply a fee of 10c per kilometre.
- Missed payments. You will be charged a fee of $40 if you missed a payment.
- Refuelling charge. If you return your car, you will be charged a fee for refuelling and cleaning the vehicle.
- Vehicle return within minimum rental period. If you decide to return your vehicle within the minimum rental period, you will be charged a fee as outlined in your rental contract.
How to sign up with Splend
If you’d like to rent a vehicle with Splend, click "Go to site" above and fill in the form.
Eligibility requirements include:
- You must be at least 23 years old.
- You must live within 30km of the CBD.
- You must own a smartphone.
- Your driver’s licence must be Australian and valid.
- You must have a good driving record.
- You must not have a criminal record.
When applying, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Driver’s licence with current address
- Passport, birth certificate or citizenship certificate
- Driving history (you can get this from the state or transport authority)
If you’d like to become an Uber driver, Splend’s rental contracts are an interesting alternative to traditional car loans. However, you are still required to make payments in exchange for the vehicle, so make sure you can afford it before signing up.