Why use your own car to drive for Uber? Splend offers an Uber-ready vehicle to get you driving with Uber sooner.
Splend’s rental deals are designed for customers who’d like to become Uber drivers, but you can also use Splend to get a car for personal use. You can opt for a simple rental deal or a Rent-to-Own option where repayments go towards ownership of the vehicle. Cars are brand new to encourage good Uber ratings and drivers are covered by comprehensive insurance for both personal and business use.
Depending on your application and Splend’s assessment of your finances, you can have your vehicle within a week.
|Product Name||Splend Car Rentals|
|Free km per week||1,000|
|Excess km cost||$0.10|
|From Price Per Week||$249|
|Minimum term||6 weeks|
- No lock-in contracts
- Membership rewards
- Rideshare training
- Wide range of cars
- High upfront costs
- Charges for missed payments
- Charge for refuelling and cleaning upon return
- 25 years or older
- Own a smartphone
- Have an Australian licence
- No criminal record & good driving record
Main points to consider when renting a vehicle through Splend
These rental packages are designed for Uber drivers who’d like to either rent a vehicle or put payments towards eventually owning one. You can also take advantage of Splend if you want a car for personal use. Splend will evaluate your credit history as part of the application.
You can choose between models based on your needs or your experience as an Uber driver. You pay a membership fee and then make weekly payments. The minimum rental period is four or six weeks depending on your contract, with a minimum of two weeks’ notice if you’d like to return the car.
Features of Splend’s vehicle rental
These are some of the features of Splend’s rental contracts:
- Use for Uber or personal use. Splend’s rental contracts are specifically tailored to Uber drivers, but you can also sign up with Splend if you need a car for personal use.
- No lock-in contract. If you’re not happy with your car or you’ve changed your mind about the contract, you can return it within two weeks following the minimum rental period (four weeks if you’re just renting and six weeks for the rent-to-own option).
- Dedicated account manager. When you sign up with Splend you will have a dedicated representative. Your rep is there to help make your Uber venture more profitable and deal with any problems you might come across.
- Discounted fees. Customers who choose the Rent-to-Own option benefit from a $50 discount each year.
- Transparent costs. There are no hidden costs. Splend lays out all fees in the rental agreement.
- Various models available. You can choose from compact vehicles or SUVs, each with its own pricing and fees schedule. Kia, Suzuki, Hyundai and Toyotas are available.
- Insurance. Comprehensive insurance is included in the weekly fee.
- Option to take a break. If you are on the rent-to-own plan you can apply to take a two-week “pay holiday” after the first year of the rental contract. Your contract will then be extended by the length of your break.
What's on offer with Splend's member benefits?
- Fuel discount. Receive 6 cents off per litre at BP service stations when you sign up to an exclusive Splend Member WEX Motorpass account. You'll also receive a $200 weekly credit limit that can be used at 90% of service station across Australia. All your purchases, which include car washes, will be tracked on a single statement and your Motorpass account will be debited weekly after you receive your Uber payment.
- Health insurance discount. Splend members can take advantage of reduced corporate pricing compared to equivalent levels of cover in the HCF retail range. You'll also have the usual two- and six-month waiting periods waived for extras such as dental.
- Tax and accounting discounts. DriveTax is a specialist accountant for Uber drivers and Splend members are entitled to a 20% discount. You can also receive free GST and ABN registration when you use DriveTax as a Splend member.
- Money Transfers. Need to send money overseas? You can get a 30% discount with Ria Money Transfer for international money transfer fees.
- Referral program. When you refer a new Splend member you can earn up to $250 for a rent plan or $450 for a rent-to-own plan.
- Member-only events. Splend host exclusive events where you can hear from ridesharing experts to help you become a more profitable Uber driver.
- Rewards. Enjoy movie tickets, fuel vouchers, sporting tickets and more.
- New member pack. When you sign up you'll receive a new driver course, Splend water bottles, a cooler bag, mints, a Splend t-short, keyring, tote bad, Microfiber cleaning cloth, first-aid kit and a stress ball.
How much does it cost to rent a vehicle with Splend?
Here are the fees associated with Splend’s rental agreements:
- Membership fee. Renting customers pay a membership fee of $275, while Rent-to-Own customers pay $990.
- Weekly fee. These are the rental repayments that include the cost of the vehicle and comprehensive insurance. Weekly fees start at $169 on the rent contract. If you choose the Rent-to-Own contract, weekly fees start at $354 for a compact vehicle and $374 for an SUV.
- Extra kilometres. The contract includes 1,000km per week. Any additional kilometres imply a fee of 10c per kilometre.
- Missed payments. You will be charged a fee of $40 if you missed a payment.
- Refuelling charge. If you return your car, you will be charged a fee for refuelling and cleaning the vehicle.
- Vehicle return within minimum rental period. If you decide to return your vehicle within the minimum rental period, you will be charged a fee of $1,100.
How to sign up with Splend
If you’d like to rent a vehicle with Splend, fill in the form available here.
Eligibility requirements include:
- You must be at least 25 years old.
- You must live within 30km of the CBD.
- You must own a smartphone.
- Your driver’s licence must be Australian and valid.
- You must have a good driving record.
- You must not have a criminal record.
Rent-to-own customers must also have an active Uber ride-sharing account with at least 400 trips completed.
When applying, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Driver’s licence with current address
- Passport, birth certificate or citizenship certificate
- Driving history (you can get this from the state or transport authority)
If you’d like to become an Uber driver, Splend’s rental contracts are an interesting alternative to traditional car loans. However, you are still required to make payments in exchange for the vehicle, so make sure you can afford it before signing up.