Retailer Guide to Afterpay
Take advantage of Afterpay to grow your business and get convert customers who might be on the fence about your products.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
You might have seen Afterpay spring into every retailer out there seemingly overnight. If you’re trying to decide if it will be right for your business, this guide will take you through what you need to know.
What's in this guide?
How does Afterpay work for retailers?
As a retailer, the Afterpay signup process is quick and relatively simple. When you fill out the enquiry form, a customer service representative will contact you in order to discuss your needs with Afterpay. Afterpay works both online and in-store, so you can choose how it suits you best.
If a customer buys something online using Afterpay, they simply select Afterpay at the checkout, and once the customer has received their item, Afterpay will settle with you and assume any credit or fraud risk. The instalments that the customer pays go to Afterpay instead of you since Afterpay will pay the debt that is owed to you initially.
How does Afterpay integrate with my point of sale?
Afterpay integrates with a variety of point-of-sale platforms as well as ecommerce platforms that you might have used to integrate online sales into your website. Some platforms that Afterpay instantly integrates with include:
- Commerce Vision
- Island Pacific
What benefits does Afterpay offer my business?
Some of the features that can benefit your business with a merchant agreement with Afterpay include:
- Set installments for customers. Afterpay informs you about purchase installment amounts and frequency to make it easier for potential customers to decide whether or not they want an item.
- New customers. Afterpay gives you the opportunity to benefit from more sales and the possibility of an increased customer base.
- Rise in repeat purchases. The likelihood of repeat customers to purchase from your business increases, plus they will be more inclined to spend more per transaction.
- Payment upfront. As soon as the customer receives their item, Afterpay settles with their merchants quickly and automatically. There are no complicated processes or lengthy wait times associated with payment.
- Name recognition. As Afterpay is currently used by over 1,400 retailers across the country, it’s clear to see that customers from all industries are a fan of it. You are able to benefit from this recognition if you incorporate Afterpay into your business.
- Zero fraud or credit risk. This is really important. Although it might seem like Afterpay could be high-risk, Afterpay assumes all end-customer non-payment risk for every transaction. This takes you and your business off the hook and you no longer have to chase up defaulting customers.
How much will Afterpay cost my business?
The fees that you can be charged depend on your business's agreement with Afterpay. However, the fees below are a general guide as to what businesses can expect with an Afterpay agreement.
- A $0.30 fee per transaction.
- A commission rate fee that is applied per transaction. This can range from 4-6% based on your agreement.
Although $0.30 per transaction doesn’t seem like a lot when you’re selling your products for much more than that, it’s important to factor in the commission rate fee as well.
What interest-free plans does Afterpay offer shoppers?
Now that you’re convinced about Afterpay, you might have a few questions as to how it works for your customers. Afterpay is a credit line for customers, where they use it to buy items from your store (online or in a physical shop) and pay the money back later.
Customers make four payments made over an eight-week period, with the first payment taken at the initial purchase of the item. If they do not adhere to the payment schedule, they are charged late fees until they have paid off their instalment.
The eight weeks are interest-free, so the customer owes the instalments that are reflected on the website.
How do I start offering Afterpay at my store?
In order to start offering Afterpay at your store, you just need to fill out the online enquiry form that is available on their website. Some of the details that you need include:
- Your ABN
- Your Point of Sales (POS) provider
- Your average order value
- The total for your annual sales
- The payment platform you use
- Personal details, such as your name and address
- Your industry
- The type of business you have
- What sales channels you use and whether they’re online, in-store or both
Once you provide all of this information and more, a representative will get back to you within the next 24-48 hours.
FAQs about Afterpay
The buy now pay later sector is currently under an ASIC review. Find out more about this review.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best split system air conditioners in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of split system air conditioners to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Best budget gaming monitors In Australia
We've done the research to find the best five budget gaming monitors available in Australia to suit different budgets and types of user.
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Best PC speakers in Australia 2020
Does your laptop or desktop PC need more sound? We've found the 7 best PC speakers in Australia for a variety of budgets and purposes.
Kora Organics discount codes and coupons October 2020 | 50% off skincare and makeup
Save big on award-winning skincare solutions with these amazing Kora Organics discount codes.
Sennheiser promo codes October 2020: Up to 40% off outlet sale
Grab a promo code and cut costs on superior audio solutions online at Sennheiser.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert