DiDi car rentals
Looking to rent a car to drive with DiDi? Here's everything prospective DiDi drivers need to know.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Where can I rent a car for driving with DiDi?
How does renting a car to drive with DiDi work?
To rent a car to drive with Didi, you can opt for a long-term rental from a number of standard hire car providers. However, there are some hire car providers that specialise in rideshare rentals. Renting a specialised rideshare-ready car will ensure that the vehicle meets DiDi's requirements. This means that it will have a 5 Star ANCAP safety rating, full vehicle insurance included, etc. Specialised rental cars may also include unlimited kilometre usage on the vehicles. This is particularly useful because, the more you can drive without incurring additional costs, the more money goes in your pocket.
With car rental, you get a choice of vehicle. A standard 5-seater may suit your needs as a driver, or you may prefer a larger and higher-end car. Larger vehicles allow more space for luggage-carrying families on lucrative airport runs. They also allow you to offer a more premium service, which can help with getting higher ratings. You can also still use these cars for personal use like they were your own.
What features are available?
- Insurance for business driving. Rideshare car rentals come fully insured for business use.
- Flexibility. Some car hire providers will allow you to rent a car from as little as one week. Others may require two weeks or more, but most have no lock-in contracts. Usually with car rental for ridesharing, you simply have to give some notice to end your contract.
- Fuel efficient. The more fuel efficient a car is, the more the driver earns.
- Referral bonuses. If you get others to sign up, you may qualify for a referral bonus.
- Choice of cars. Depending on the type of service you want to provide (Express, Premier or Luxe), a car rental provider should be able to supply a car that matches the DiDi requirements.
- Time and money savings. Any car you hire from an appropriate specialist provider will be suitable for DiDi driving, and everything you need is streamlined as much as possible.
- Professional customer and ratings support. Some providers, particularly newer providers, will assign you a service representative dedicated to providing professional assistance. This will help you as a driver to earn higher ratings, and therefore money.
What should I look for when renting a car to drive with DiDi?
When comparing car hire providers for rideshare vehicles, look at how the options on offer could potentially affect your earnings as a driver. For example:
- Weekly price. How much is the weekly rental price? How much do you expect to earn as a driver? Look at how the figures match up and see whether it seems like a worthwhile investment. However, bear in mind that the cheapest option isn't necessarily the best. Some providers offer advantages over others – consider insurance, professional assistance and other benefits as well as cost.
- Kilometre allowances. It's important to ensure that there are no, or at least a high, limit to the kilometres that you are able to drive in a hire car. In order to make good money, you need to be driving considerable distances. If you're being charged extra for going over your maximum kilometre allowance, you'll be eating into your pay cheque.
- Membership fees. How much will you be paying?
- Minimum and maximum rental periods. Make sure you are able to access a hire period that works for you. If you only want to drive with DiDi for a short period of time to save some extra cash, ensure that your provider doesn't require long-term commitments. If you're looking to drive longer term, you might find that a long-term rental is more cost-effective.
- Types of cars available. What kind of DiDi driver will you be? You can opt for an Express rental, a Premier vehicle or a Luxe. Find the car to suit your needs and your rider market.
- Rent-to-own options. Rent-to-own options from specialists can be a new way of buying a car. Some providers offer the opportunity to put the proceeds of your ridesharing shifts towards owning the vehicle you're driving.
What cars can I rent to drive with DiDi?
While a specialist provider will know which options will suit DiDi's rideshare requirements, you may prefer to find a model yourself that's in line with the app's specifications:
- DiDi Express. The standard service vehicles for DiDi are 5-seater economy sedans.
- DiDi Express Select. A step up from standard, Express Select cars are simply newer model economy sedans.
- DiDi Premier. To offer a higher class of service, opt to rent a luxury sedan.
- DiDi Luxe. The Luxe service is also a luxury sedan model, but only professional chauffeurs are hired to provide this service.
You can also access hybrids, electric vehicles and other fuel-efficient vehicles to spend less money on petrol and put more in the bank.
What companies offer rideshare rentals and how much does it cost?
There are currently only a few rideshare specialists operating in Australia, as well as many standard rental companies. Most of these companies reference Uber as default for rideshare-ready vehicle rentals. However, they do cover all rideshare platforms.
Below is a table outlining each provider currently specialising in rideshare rentals, including costs and additional features.
From price per week
|Splend||$269||$275 joining fee||A premier Australian provider focused on helping you maximise your earnings as a driver.|
|Europcar||$195||N/A||An established rental car provider that lets you rent a rideshare-ready vehicle for personal and private use.|
|Thrifty||$246||$200 deposit and one-week advance payment required||Aims to get you on the road within three days of submitting an application, and offers Premium Protection Cover as standard.|
|Atlas||$199||N/A||Choose from a wide range of cars when you opt for Atlas, with options available from $180 per week.|
|Stride||$219||Unlimited distances and inclusive maintenance/service packages make this a good choice for those who plan on covering a lot of ground or live in more isolated areas.|
|RideLender||$350-$350||$650 insurance excess bond||Clear terms and a three-year rent-to-own agreement, decreasing in price over time, make RideLender worth considering if you want to own your car eventually.|
|Rent2Drive||$350-$350||$650 insurance excess bond (paid over 13 weeks)||Offers both new and used cars as well as Rent2Own options to help you drive with DiDi.|
|Krooz||$250||Excess deducted over 13 weeks||No sign-up fee or deposit up-front. Krooz also offers 24-hour roadside assistance and car replacement.|
|Keyz||$189||N/A||Competitive prices and flexible, short contract periods can make Keyz a suitable general purpose choice.|
|UCar||$199||$500 insurance excess bond (paid over 10 weeks)||Enjoy no sign-up fee and instant approval without a credit check when you opt for UCar.|
|DriveMyCar||$160||$0 annual fee $300 deposit||This platform lets you rent another person's vehicle for a daily fee, with rental periods ranging from one week to one year.|
What to remember
While there is no obligation to commit to a single ridesharing platform, it's still a good idea to compare your options when deciding which platforms to sign up to. This will help to ensure that you are earning the highest amount possible for your work.
More guides on Finder
DiDi’s contactless delivery is now available in Sydney
Sending items across Sydney just got a whole lot cheaper and safer with DiDi.
DiDi vs Uber: Comparison for drivers
Find out how ridesharing app DiDi compares to Uber for drivers in this guide.
How rideshare is keeping you safe during the coronavirus pandemic
If you're avoiding public transport these rideshares have implemented health-conscious policies to reduce the spread of coronavirus. Here's what they are.
DiDi Driver Guide: Sydney
If you're looking to start driving with DiDi in Sydney, you'll need to meet certain requirements. Find out everything you need to know in this guide.
DiDi driver guide: Melbourne
Find out everything you need to know - from car requirements to getting paid - about becoming a rideshare driver with DiDi in Melbourne.
Jump Payments car loans
If you're looking to buy a new car and don't know where to start when it comes to finance, Jump Payments could help you to find the right car loan for your circumstances.
DiDi launches shared rideshare in Brisbane
DiDi rideshare is saving you even more money with its latest announcement.
DiDi Sydney: Your guide to rideshare in the city
Get around the city quicker with this guide on using ridesharing app DiDi in Sydney, complete with the latest promo codes and FAQs.
DiDi in Perth: Your guide to airport pick-ups, rates and how to get $20 off
Make your way around town with DiDi and save big while you’re at it.
DiDi Adelaide: What to know about rideshare in the city
Get where you need to with our up-to-date guide on DiDi in Adelaide.
Ask an Expert