Block Climbing Podcast: The Bitcoin short & BAYC alt-right accusations
This week a new ETF that shorts bitcoin enters the chat and the Bored Ape Yacht Club is accused of having connections to online alt-right troll culture. Meanwhile, Tegan visits an art exhibition where a reproductive cell has been minted in an NFT.
The markets may still be bearish but there's still plenty of wild crypto news this week. First up, a new ETF called ProShares is launching that lets you actually short Bitcoin. Too bad it popped up after the market crashed.
Meanwhile, Tegan travels to Hobart for Dark Mofo and checks out an exhibition where the artist minted her own reproductive cell as an NFT. And yes it's absolutely for sale.
Meanwhile, Bored Ape Yacht Club has been accused of Nazi links in their imagery in a YouTube video that us blowing up. But this isn't the first time this has happened. Similar accusations had already been made by artist Ryder Ripps... Who BAYC is also suing for alleged intellectual property infringement.
Listen to the episode:
Or you can go ahead and listen on your favourite podcast app of choice:
Show notes and sources
- Here's the website for Loren Kronemyer's Cryptic Female Choice, including quotes from the episode.
- And here is the site for the Dark Mofo exhibition.
- Investors Pile Into Short Bitcoin ETF Betting on Prices to Fall [Coin Desk]
- ETF That Bets Against Bitcoin to Launch [Wall Street Journal]
- Here are the original accusations of racism and Nazi symbolism regarding Bored Ape Yacht Club
- Here's the video where the Bored Ape Yacht Club accusations are made
- Yuga Labs, Owner of Bored Ape Yacht Club NFTs, Sues Ryder Ripps for His Conceptual, Knockoff Project RR/BAYC [ArtNews]
- Bored Ape Yacht Club's response to Nazi allegations [Decrypt]
- Bored Ape Yacht Club Founders Speak Out Against Nazi Affiliation Rumors [Bitcoinist]
- For comparison's sake, here is the Bored Ape Yacht Club logo. And this is the SS Panzer Division Totenkopf logo.