Here’s what you need to do on New Year's Eve in Melbourne.
Already thinking about your next New Year's Eve in Melbourne? From the best vantage points and restaurant packages to see the fireworks spectacular to the best parties and cruises and where to crash when the night has come to an end, Melbourne, get ready to party your way to 2018. Some stats to get you excited:
- Over half a million people are expected to flock to Melbourne’s city centre to ring in the new year
- $400,000 worth of fireworks are set to light up the Melbourne night sky
- Fireworks will be released from 16 buildings and five other sites
While the schedule for the 2017 event hasn't been released yet, here's some information about the 2016 free vantage points of the Yarra and the Melbourne skyline, hef you come!
|Yarra Park, Richmond or Jolimont Stations||Watch entertainers and play carnival games before watching the family fireworks display.||Entertainment from 6pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Footscray Park, Footscray Station||Bring a picnic to the park and enjoy the free entertainment before the big show.||Entertainment from 6.30pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Kings Domain, Flinders Street Station||One of the biggest celebration areas on the evening, get in early to secure your spot.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Treasury Gardens, Parliament Station||View the fireworks from the city’s eastside.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Flagstaff Gardens, Flagstaff Station||Situated between La Trobe and King Streets, Flagstaff is a great spot for tonight’s proceedings.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Docklands, Southern Cross Station||Guaranteed to be packed with locals and visitors, Docklands surrounds Victoria Harbour and overlooks the city from the west.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
- Eureka Skydeck: Join the party 88 storeys above Melbourne at Eureka Skydeck's restaurant. Elevation 2016/2017 will feature DJs, entertainment and doof stations with substantial canapes and drinks all night long. Gold tickets in 2016 from $300 (access to level 88 and the more premium level 89) and Silver tickets from $210.
- Melba Restaurant at The Langham: Sit down to dishes like Western Australian crayfish natural oysters, sushi, pork belly and more at The Langham from 9pm on New Year's Eve. The package includes, includes wine, beer and sparkling with a live band playing in the background. Tickets in 2016 were from $375 per person. Groups of four dine for $335 per person, groups of six dine for $327.50 per person, groups of eight dine for $320 per person and groups of 10 dine for $310 per person. Guaranteed window seats available for $30 per person.
- Alto at The Langham: Set 25 storeys above Melbourne, Alto offers epic views of the New Year's Eve fireworks. After a dinner filled with seafood like scallops, crab, Moreton Bay bugs and oysters, dance the light away to classic hits from the 80s to today before the countdown starts at midnight.Tickets in 2016 were from $429 per person. Groups of four dine for $405 per person, groups of six dine for $395 per person, groups of eight dine for $390 per person and groups of 10 dine for $385 per person.
- New Year's Eve Masquerade Dinner at Taxi Kitchen: Perfectly situated at Federation Square for easy access to the fireworks, Taxi Kitchen's hosting a masquerade-themed New Year's Eve dinner featuring a five-course menu with entertainment. Tickets in 2015 were from $195 per person.
- The Meat and Wine Co: Ideally located in Southbank along the Yarra River, sit down to a 4-course menu beginning and ending with selected beverages. The sit-down dinner is timed so you can see both the 9pm and midnight fireworks show. Tickets in 2016 were from $150 per person
- Ludlow Bar and Dining Room: Sit on prime patio space on the Ludlow Terrace for views of the 9pm and midnight fireworks above the Yarra while enjoying a 3-course meal at the riverside eatery. Tickets in 2016 were from $170 per person (Inside dining is available from $130
New Year’s Eve Melbourne cruises:
Details for New Year's Eve cruises in Melbourne for 2017 haven't been released yet, but here were some of the big players on the Yarra and other Melbourne waterways in 2016:
Melbourne River Cruises
Melbourne Cruises has a few on-the-water options for you this New Year’s. Choose between a New Year’s Eve Party Cruise, New Year’s Eve Sit Down Buffet Cruise, New Year’s Eve Dinner Cruise and New Year’s Eve Fireworks Cruise. The sky’s the limit.
Proclaiming themselves as the ultimate 2016 New Year’s Eve Dance Cruise, if you’ve got your party shoes on, you’ve got to dance your way onto this boat. The 5-hour cruise includes finger foods, two dance floors and prime views for the fireworks. Cheap drinks are available too.
City River Cruises: New Year’s Eve Fireworks Vantage Cruise
Plonk yourself in the heart of the celebrations on the back deck of the City River Cruises’ Melba Star. All the trimmings will be included indoors and all the fireworks will be at your disposal on deck.
Other New Year’s Eve Parties from 2016:
- Eureka 89 - No brainer, really, being the highest vantage point in the Southern Hemisphere. At 89 storeys above the city, there’s no denying this promise spot. Packages are available for level 88 only and access to both levels 88 and 89, but hurry. They’ll no doubt sell out quickly.
- European Bier Cafe & Aer Rooftop Bar - Anything with a stunning rooftop is definitely a go. The Bier Cafe will be celebrating with a 7 hour food and beverage package and a Hawaiian themed party. Get your grass skirts on.
- The Wharf Hotel - It’s all about themes this year, and The Wharf’s New Year’s party theme is Tiki. More grass skirts, we think.
- Precinct Hotel - Changing it up is the Precinct, who have gone to the jungle with a wild celebration of DJs and food and beverage packages.
- Level 3 at The Crown - Nightclub your idea of the ultra New Year’s Eve party venue? Make your date with Level 3 at The Crown this 31st December and you won’t be disappointed. With 3 nightclubs and roaming performers, it’ll be a showstopper.
- Spice Market - Every year Spice holds a ripping good party. Grab a VIP ticket for access to all areas, a cocktail on arrival and roaming food till 11pm.
- Riverland Bar - Get on the waterfront by midnight to enjoy the Yarra River at its finest.
- The Emerson - Our advice? Book a rooftop package. It’ll guarantee you the best spot in the house. And there will also be 5 hours of food and booze to dress that up with, too.
- Pilgrim Bar - Right on the Yarra River, we can’t argue with either the quality of this bar’s food and beverages, or its views.
- Campari House - One word: rooftop. Food and beverage packages are available, as is access to a number of different levels.
- InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto - You’re making this one helluva New Year’s Eve. So go ahead and splurge at this luxe hotel. There’s an inspiring dinner to start and then views of the city to finish.
- Promiseland - Ring in the new year on a pier in the Docklands with harbour, city and firework views. There will be DJs, dancers, performers, projections and more.
- Penthouse 15 - The venue is hosting Blue Diamond Masquerade, which includes canapes and a four-hour beverage package, before the midnight firework show seen from 15 storeys up.
Free Events in Melbourne on New Year’s Eve
Early Eve at Yarra Park - For the families the fun begins at 6pm in Yarra Park. Included in the program is a screening of Muppets Most Wanted (8pm), a short films screening, various games, and the fireworks display at 9:30pm.
Early Eve at Footscray Park - Footscray has early evening activities for all as well, including free live entertainment and the 9:30pm fireworks.
New Year’s Eve Party at Tabcorp Park - Kicking the shenanigans off early at 5:30pm, Tabcorp Park in Melton is hosting a buffet dinner ($25) for young and old. There will also be heaps of fun activities including jumping castles, carnival rides, live music, and naturally, the fireworks.
Where to stay: Melbourne New Years hotels
Looking for somewhere to stay that's got views of the Yarra River and fireworks, or is within a short distance of the viewing areas along the water? Check out our picks for where to stay in Melbourne on New Years Eve or search below to compare rates at more Melbourne hotels.
Images from City of Melbourne and daniiboi