Melbourne, the countdown is on to ring in the New Year. Here's how to do it in style.
New Year's Eve is coming up quick and fast and if you haven't figured out where you'll be yet you'd best get on it. Pronto.
To inspire you to start 2019 off with the bang, we've rustled up the best restaurant packages to see the fireworks spectacular in the city, tickets to the best parties and cruises along and on the river and rooms to crash when the night has come to an end.
Melbourne New Year's Eve fireworks times and vantage points
Melbourne welcomes two sets of fireworks; a family friendly set at 9:30pm at Yarra and Footscray Parks and midnight fireworks along the river.
The 2018/2019 fireworks haven't been announced yet but the schedule and vantage points don't typically change. To give you an idea of where you should be this year, here were the official sites where you could watch the midnight fireworks from on New Year's Eve in Melbourne. Just click on the viewing areas on the map to see what time the fireworks began:
Official viewing area with food for sale
Unofficial viewing area with no food for sale
|Location||Information||Early or midnight fireworks?||Starting time|
|Yarra Park, Richmond or Jolimont Stations||Watch entertainers and play carnival games, or watch a movie on the big screen, before watching the family fireworks display.||Early||Entertainment from 7pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Footscray Park, Footscray Station||Bring a picnic to the park and enjoy the free entertainment before the big show.||Early||Entertainment from 6.30pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Kings Domain, Flinders Street Station||One of the biggest celebration areas on the evening, get in early to secure your spot.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Treasury Gardens, Parliament Station||View the fireworks from the city’s eastside with a DJ playing to keep you pumped for the might fireworks.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Flagstaff Gardens, Flagstaff Station||Situated between La Trobe and King Streets, Flagstaff is a great spot for tonight’s proceedings.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Docklands, Southern Cross Station||Guaranteed to be packed with locals and visitors, Docklands surrounds Victoria Harbour and overlooks the city from the west.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
Best places for New Year's Eve in 2018
New Year's Eve dinner in Melbourne
Top eats with views of the Melbourne skyline to capture that picture-perfect shot at midnight.
- Elevation at Eureka Tower: Take in the fireworks and bright CBD lights from 88 storeys above Melbourne. The party includes substantial canapés and grazing dishes, drinks (beer, wine, sparkling and five basic spirits per person). Tickets from $220. Upgrade to Gold Tickets ($300) for premium access to level 89.
- The Meat and Wine Co: Ideally located in Southbank along the Yarra River, sit down to a 3-course menu beginning and ending with selected beverages. The sit-down dinner is timed so you can see both the 9pm and midnight fireworks show - Just make sure to choose the 9pm until close option. Tickets are $185 and an extra $42 for 2-hour drink packages (extra time can be added).
- New Year's Eve Oscars Party at Taxi Kitchen: Perfectly situated at Federation Square for easy access to the fireworks, Taxi Kitchen is hosting an Oscars-themed party complete with a 4-course dinner. Tickets are $150.
- Melba Restaurant at The Langham: Sit down to dishes like blue swimmer crab, Moreton Bay bugs and peri peri prawns, among more than a dozen other options, at The Langham from 9pm on New Year's Eve. The package includes, includes wine, beer and sparkling with a live band playing in the background. Tickets are $389. Groups of four dine for $345 per person, groups of six dine for $337.50 per person, groups of eight dine for $330 per person and groups of 10 dine for $320 per person. Guaranteed window seats available for $30 per person.
- New Year's Eve at Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne: Treat yourself to canapés, a three-course dinner and sip on beer, wine and soft drinks at this party that kicks on until after the new year has kicked in. Tickets from $145.
- New Year's Eve Dinner at Stamford Plaza Melbourne: Indulge in a three-course set menu at Harry's Restaurant before heading out on the town to catch the fireworks display. Tickets from $89
New Year’s Eve Melbourne cruises:
Cruises along the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay are available on New Year's Eve and you can get a whole different perspective of the midnight fireworks than you would on land.
- Yarra River party cruise: Spend the nighton the river with a front-seat view of the fireworks. This 4-hour cruise has it all from free flowing drinks and nibbles to an on-boat DJ. Boarding starts at 8pm from Federation Wharf and there are two sailings, one for 18-40 year olds and another for 40+ year olds. Tickets are $240pp.
Melbourne New Year's Eve cruise from Viator
Celebrate the New Year in style with a Yarra River party Cruise.
- Inclusions: 4-hour party aboard a deluxe boat, standup cocktail finger dinner and more.
- Date: 31 December 2018.
- Location: 1 Hooker Boulevard, Broadbeach, Gold Coast
New Year's Eve festivals and parties in Melbourne
Grab your golden ticket to the biggest parties to close out 2018.
- NYE H2o: Bars, dance floors and DJs take over the South Wharf Promenade on New Year's eve for this party that's all inclusive of spirits, wine, frozen drinks, beer, cider and cocktail food. General admission tickets are $140, and VIP tickets which include access to a separate area and a premium drink selection are $185.
- NYE at View Docklands: Party at the water's edge in the Docklands at this 18+ event. Enjoy a drinks package and cocktail food for five hours with the city acting as a backdrop before 2019 kicks in. Tickets from $120.
- New Year's Eve at Loop Roof: Check out the midnight fireworks from a CBD rooftop and gear up for the event with a five-hour drink package, canapes and desserts.Tickets TBC.
- Capital: Party into the New Year at one of the biggest R&B and Latin parties of the year at Peninsula in Docklands. Tickets from $45 (pre-sale).
- Ludlow Bar and Dining Room: Sit on the banks of the Yarra River at this prime space on the views of the 9pm and midnight fireworks above the Yarra while at a Las Vegas-themed cocktail party or dinner. Tickets to the cocktail party is $170 until 30 November and $185 from 1 December - NYE.
- The Wharf Hotel: Starting the party early at 5:30, The Wharf Hotel will be chasing the sun until New Year's Eve at midnight. The cocktail-style event includes beverage packages and finger foods. Tickets prices TBC.
- Love New Years Eve at Level 3 at The Crown: Nightclub your idea of the ultra New Year’s Eve party venue? Make your date with Level 3 at The Crown this 31 December and you won’t be disappointed. Last year's performers included Will Sparks and Chingy on top of 40 DJs in rotation over the course of the night. This year, we're betting much the same. Tickets are TBC.
- Spice Market: Every year Spice holds a ripping good party. Grab a VIP ticket for access to all areas, a cocktail on arrival and roaming food. Tickets are $40 for General Admission or $80 for VIP Exclusive.
- Riverland Bar: Watch the fireworks right on the waterfront to enjoy the Yarra River at its finest. Riverland's event includes food and a beer, wine and spirits package. Tickets are $150 until sold out.
Melbourne New Years accommodation
Looking for the best hotel in Melbourne to view the New Year's Eve fireworks? Check out our picks for where to stay on 31 December or search below to compare rates at more Melbourne hotels.
DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank
Clarion Suites Gateway
Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Images from City of Melbourne and daniiboi