Here’s what you need to do on New Year's Eve in Melbourne.
Already thinking about your next New Year's Eve in Melbourne?
From the best vantage points and restaurant packages to see the fireworks spectacular to the best parties and cruises and where to crash when the night has come to an end, Melbourne, get ready to party your way to 2018.
|50% off: Melbourne New Year's Cruise with Food + Drinks||
|Valid on 31 December 2017 for New Year's Afload by Afloat Cruises in Melbourne. Includes food and drink.||
|Save $230: New Year's Eve Fireworks Dinner with Möet in Sydney||
|Valid for one person and includes a 13-course Japanese feast with wine, beer and Möet. Views of fireworks from King Street Wharf. Discounted to $169 from the regular price ($399).||
While the schedule for the 2017 event hasn't been released yet, here's some information about the 2016 free vantage points of the Yarra and the Melbourne skyline, hef you come!
|Yarra Park, Richmond or Jolimont Stations||Watch entertainers and play carnival games before watching the family fireworks display.||Entertainment from 6pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Footscray Park, Footscray Station||Bring a picnic to the park and enjoy the free entertainment before the big show.||Entertainment from 6.30pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Kings Domain, Flinders Street Station||One of the biggest celebration areas on the evening, get in early to secure your spot.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Treasury Gardens, Parliament Station||View the fireworks from the city’s eastside.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Flagstaff Gardens, Flagstaff Station||Situated between La Trobe and King Streets, Flagstaff is a great spot for tonight’s proceedings.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Docklands, Southern Cross Station||Guaranteed to be packed with locals and visitors, Docklands surrounds Victoria Harbour and overlooks the city from the west.||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
- NYE H20: Bars, dance floors and DJs take over the Docklands Promenade on New Year's eve for this party that's all inclusive of spirits, wine, frozen drinks, beer, cider and cocktail food. General admission tickets are $140, and VIP tickets which include access to a separate area and a premium drink selection are $185.
- Afloat Cruises New Year's Cruise: Sail around Victoria Harbour and Port Philip Bay on this 5-hour party cruise with an open bar and cocktail style dining before watching the New Year's fireworks from the boat's two decks. Tickets are $199.
- Promiseland: Party into the New Year with Ja Rule and Ashanti at the Docklands, where there's waterfront views andcostumed performers. Advance tickets sold out. Last-minute entries available at the door.
- Ludlow Bar and Dining Room: Sit on the banks of the Yarra River at this prime space on the views of the 9pm and midnight fireworks above the Yarra while at a Las Vegas-themed cocktail party or dinner. Tickets to the cocktail party with drinks are $150, while dining packages are $130 without drinks.
- The Meat and Wine Co: Ideally located in Southbank along the Yarra River, sit down to a 3-course menu beginning and ending with selected beverages. The sit-down dinner is timed so you can see both the 9pm and midnight fireworks show - Just make sure to choose the 9pm until close option. Tickets are $175 and an extra $40 for 2-hour drink packages (extra time can be added).
- New Year's Eve Oscars Party at Taxi Kitchen: Perfectly situated at Federation Square for easy access to the fireworks, Taxi Kitchen is hosting an Oscars-themed party complete with a 5-course dinner. Tickets are $195.
- Melba Restaurant at The Langham: Sit down to dishes like blue swimmer crab, Moreton Bay bugs and peri peri prawns, among more than a dozen other options, at The Langham from 9pm on New Year's Eve. The package includes, includes wine, beer and sparkling with a live band playing in the background. Tickets are $379. Groups of four dine for $335 per person, groups of six dine for $327.50 per person, groups of eight dine for $320 per person and groups of 10 dine for $310 per person. Guaranteed window seats available for $30 per person.
- Alto at The Langham: Set 25 storeys above Melbourne, Alto offers epic views of the New Year's Eve fireworks. After a dinner filled with seafood like scallops, crab, Moreton Bay bugs and oysters, dance the light away to classic hits from the 80s, 90s and to today before the countdown starts at midnight.Tickets are $429 per person. Groups of four dine for $405 per person, groups of six dine for $395 per person, groups of eight dine for $390 per person and groups of 10 dine for $385 per person.
- The Wharf Hotel: Starting the party early at 5:30, The Wharf Hotel will be chasing the sun until New Year's Eve at midnight. The cocktail-style event includes five hours of all-inclusive beverages and fingerfoods. Tickets prices haven't been announced yet.
- Love New Years Eve at Level 3 at The Crown: Nightclub your idea of the ultra New Year’s Eve party venue? Make your date with Level 3 at The Crown this 31st December and you won’t be disappointed. With performances by Will Sparks and Chingy plus more than 40 DJs in rotation over the course of the night, it’ll be a showstopper. Tickets are $60 in advance or $65 at the door.
- Spice Market: Every year Spice holds a ripping good party. Grab a VIP ticket for access to all areas, a cocktail on arrival and roaming food. Tickets are $40 for General Admission or $80 for VIP Exclusive.
- Riverland Bar: Watch the fireworks right on the waterfront to enjoy the Yarra River at its finest. Riverland's event includes food and a beer, wine and spirits package. Tickets are $130 until 30 November, then are $150 until sold out.
New Year’s Eve Melbourne cruises:
Cruises along the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay are available on New Year's Eve and you can get a whole different perspective of the midnight fireworks than you would on land. Here are some companies that offer cruises on New Year's Eve.
4-hour New Year's Eve Party Cruise on Yarra River from Viator
- Four-hour party cruise on the Yarra River including hotel pick-up and drop off
- Includes appetisers and cocktail food, plus wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Join either an 18-40 year old or 40+ sailing
5-hour New Year's Eve party Cruise on Port Philip Bay from Groupon
- Five-hour party cruise on the Victoria Harbour and Port Philip Bay
- Includes appetisers and cocktail food, plus wine/sparkling, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Views of the fireworks from two outdoor decks
Free Events in Melbourne on New Year’s Eve
Early Eve at Yarra Park - For the families the fun begins at 6pm in Yarra Park. Included in the program is a screening of Muppets Most Wanted (8pm), a short films screening, various games, and the fireworks display at 9:30pm.
Early Eve at Footscray Park - Footscray has early evening activities for all as well, including free live entertainment and the 9:30pm fireworks.
New Year’s Eve Party at Tabcorp Park - Kicking the shenanigans off early at 5:30pm, Tabcorp Park in Melton is hosting a buffet dinner ($25) for young and old. There will also be heaps of fun activities including jumping castles, carnival rides, live music, and naturally, the fireworks.
Where to stay: Melbourne New Years hotels
Looking for somewhere to stay that's got views of the Yarra River and fireworks, or is within a short distance of the viewing areas along the water? Check out our picks for where to stay in Melbourne on New Years Eve or search below to compare rates at more Melbourne hotels.
Images from City of Melbourne and daniiboi