Online Travel Insurance
Looking for a policy from Online Travel Insurance? Compare policy benefits and apply.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
2019 Finder Awards
Winner: Best Travel Insurance - Value
Online Travel Insurance
Online Travel Insurance stands out for its competitively priced policy that still offers a considerable amount of cover.
Travel insurance is an essential component of planning any trip away. It can cover you for trip cancellation, if there is a need for medical assistance while travelling, trip curtailment, lost documents, theft, personal liability and legal expenses.
Every year, thousands of Australians are left out of pocket after suffering an unexpected loss while travelling because they didn’t have the right cover in place.
No one wants to spend their trip worrying about possible unforeseen events, and travel insurance can put your mind at ease. Australians are lucky to have an excellent range of travel insurance brands to choose from.
Online Travel Insurance is known for providing comprehensive insurance benefits at competitive prices. Both holidaymakers and business travellers can find suitable cover options with a host of extras to ensure the best level of cover is in place.
All Online Travel Insurance policies are underwritten by leading insurer Allianz.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of Online Travel Insurance's Comprehensive policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||As chosen|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$10,000|
|Maximum Age Limit||74|
Table updated June 2020
Who is Online Travel Insurance?
Experience you can count on with Allianz Global Assistance
Online Travel Insurance has over ten years experience helping Australians who have experienced a loss while travelling. Allianz Australia Insurance Limited handles all of the policies purchased through Online Travel Insurance.
Policyholders can rest assured knowing they are covered with 24-hour global assistance from Allianz Global Assistance.
Allianz is a member of one of the world’s largest assistance group of companies, meaning customers can receive support anytime, anywhere in the world. Support is on hand 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Benefits of taking out Online Travel Insurance
Range of cover options
Online Travel Insurance has designed an impressive suite of products to meet the cover requirements of a variety of travellers looking for both domestic and international cover.
- Basic: This bare-bones policy is perfect for people light packers travelling on a budget. It is essentially a medical-only plan offering unlimited overseas emergency assistance, unlimited overseas medical and hospital expenses, $1,000 in emergency dental expenses and $1 million in personal liability. It does not cover personal effects or cancellation.
- Essentials. This is a step up from the basic policy, with the all of the exact same medical and personal liability benefits. It adds $5,000 luggage and personal effects cover, $250 luggage and personal effects delay cover and optional cancellation and rental vehicle excess cover.
- Comprehensive: This is Online Travel Insurance’s premiere plan providing cover for an extensive range of losses with unlimited overseas medical assistance cover and $10,000 in luggage and personal effects cover ($20,000 for families).
- Non-medical. This has all the same benefits and benefit amounts as the comprehensive plan minus everything medical. You won’t get overseas emergency assistance, overseas medical and hospital expenses, emergency dental expenses, permanent disability, hospital cash allowance or loss of income.
- Multi-Trip: Provides cover for an unlimited number of journeys in any 12-month period. The maximum duration of journeys under this cover option is 15, 30 or 45 days. With the Multi-Trip plan, you will be given the same level of cover as the comprehensive plan.
- Domestic: Just because you are travelling in the “lucky country” doesn’t mean that things can’t still go wrong. The Domestic plan provides cover for a range of losses including cancellation fees and lost deposits, luggage and personal effects.
- Individual, Couple and Family Cover: Whether you are travelling with your partner or with the whole family, Online Travel Insurance lets you take out cover for the whole group under a single policy.
Extra cover for adventure activities
Online Travel Insurance offers additional cover options for those looking to partake in adventure activities while away. The Adventure Pack and Snow Pack provide an extra level of cover options to provide extra peace of mind for those looking for that extra rush on their trip away.
Backed by Allianz Global Assistance
Allianz Global Assistance handles any travel insurance policy you may take out with Online Travel Insurance. Thanks to Online travel Insurance’s relationship with Allianz, policyholders have access to Allianz Global Assistance. This 24-hour coverage will help you out if you find yourself in an emergency situation.
Fast Online Application
Cover can be taken out quickly online in as little as ten minutes and there are no hidden fees: what you see is what you get.
Filing a claim can be done by filling out an electronic claim form or by phoning the Claims Enquiries Line, which will put you in touch with a knowledgeable customer service representative. This process is quite easy, and Allianz Global is even able to help you if you need to file an emergency claim at a moment’s notice.
Online Travel Insurance policy benefits
The Online Travel Insurance policies come with their own set of benefits for you to review when comparing plans. Listed below are the benefits available on the different policies from Online Travel Insurance. It is critical to note that not all of the benefits are available on every cover option and each benefit has its own set of conditions for when cover will/will not be paid.
- Payment of overseas emergency medical assistance, medical evacuation or funeral expenses.
- Payment of overseas emergency medical, hospital or dental expenses.
- Hospital cash allowance, which provides you with $50 dollars for each day you are in the hospital past the first 48 hours.
- Accidental death coverage, which covers immediate death on the trip, or if death is a result of an illness or injury that occurred while on the trip within 12 months.
- Payment of cancellation fees or lost deposits.
- Payment of loss of income up to $400 per week for a period of up to 26 weeks.
- Payments made due to permanent disability as a result of travelling.
- Payment for the replacement costs of lost travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques.
- Alternate transport expenses.
- Payment for the replacement of stolen cash, bank notes, currency notes, postal orders or money orders.
- Payment for the damage or permanent loss of luggage or other personal items.
- Luggage and personal effects delay allowance in case your stuff is misdirected or misplaced for more than 12 hours.
- Travel delay allowance to cover meals and accommodation expenses.
- Rental vehicle coverage.
- Personal liability, which covers your legal liability for payment of compensation for a variety of reasons.
Additional Online Travel Insurance cover options
You can get the Snow Pack with the Comprehensive, Domestic or Multi-Trip policies for an additional premium. You must be under 74 to be eligible and you'll get cover for the following:
- Emergency Rescue
- Own Snow Sport Equipment
- Snow Sport Equipment Hire
- Snow Sport Pack
- Piste Closure
- Bad Weather & Avalanche Closure
You can also get cruise cover for an additional premium. This can cover you for the following:
- Medical Cover while Cruising
- Evacuation Cover (Ship to Shore)
- Cabin Confinement
- Pre-paid Shore Excursion Cancellation
- Formal Cruise Attire Lost or Damaged
- Formal Cruise Attire Delayed
- Marine Rescue Diversion
The Adventure Pack can be purchased with the Comprehensive, Domestic or Multi-Trip plan by paying an additional premium. In addition to the sports automatically covered under the policy, additional cover is provided for sports including but not limited to:
- Animal conservation and handling
- Battle re-enactment
- Cave/river tubing
- Contact sports
- Deep sea fishing
- Diving underwater
- Flying fox/zip lining
- Hiking, trekking or tramping
- Martial arts
- Outdoor rock climbing
- Quad biking
- Surface water activities
- Tandem parachuting
- Tandem gliding and tandem paragliding
- Use of motorcycles with engine capacity exceeding 250CC
Increased Item Limits
You can also purchase increased limits for specific items when you buy a policy. If you purchase an increased item limit and that particular item is stolen, accidentally damaged or permanently lost, they will pay you up to the selected increased limit shown on your Certificate of Insurance.
Making an Online Travel Insurance claim
You need to give Online Travel Insurance notice of your claim as soon as you possibly can. All claims must be fully completed by the policyholder; otherwise the benefits can be reduced due to a delay in service. Here are some of the specifics of the claims process:
- Medical, dental or hospital claims must be made with Allianz Global Assistance.
- For damage or permanent loss of your luggage or personal belongings, you must report the incident to the police and provide a written notice of your report when making the claim.
- If your claim is being made due to damage or loss that resulted from the actions or an airline, operator or accommodation provider, you must report the damage to the appropriate official and obtain a written report of the event. If they offer you a settlement you need to include this in your claim.
- You will need to submit the full details of any claim that you have made within 30 days of returning home.
- All claims are paid out in Australian Dollars.
Questions you might have
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 70% off Full Body Luxury Massage Chairs, 40% off HelloFresh boxes, 75% off wine at Vinomofo.
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Best Electric Cars Australia
Here are some of the best electric cars in Australia in 2021.
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Harman Audio discount codes and coupons April 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on contemporary listening technology online at Harman Audio today.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Novo discount codes and coupons April 2021
Enjoy the latest in gorgeous women’s shoes when you shop at Novo. They have everything a girl could want.
Footasylum promo codes and coupons April 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on stylish footwear and more online at Footasylum today.
Besame Cosmetics discount codes and coupons April 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on fabulous beauty bag wants online at Besame Cosmetics today.
Australis discount codes and coupons April 2021
Check out the latest Australis discount codes and see how much you could save on some new makeup today.
Ask an Expert