New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Fireworks, festivals and everything in between.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
The tantalising Tasmanian city of Hobart puts on quite a show over the harbour for New Year's.
From waterfront piers as prime fireworks viewpoints to indulgent New Year's Eve menus at city restaurants, here are some of the best things to do in Hobart on New Year's Eve.
Where to watch the Hobart New Year's Eve fireworks
Hobart's main New Year’s Eve fireworks display is over the harbour, skyrocketing from the middle of the River Derwent. There is a family-friendly 9.30pm display and a traditional midnight celebration.
Both fireworks shows are typically best seen from the waterfront. However, in 2020/2021 the displays will be higher to allow greater visibility from further vantage points across Hobart and Clarence councils.
Here are the main vantage points for 2020/2021.
- Hobart Waterfront: Watch the fireworks over the harbour from the waterfront walkways, Salamanca, wharves and reserves. This includes Marwson Place, Parliament House Lawns, Princes Park and AJ Park
- Mount Wellington: If you're up for the trek up to the top, watch the fireworks display from a kilometre above the city.
- Mount Nelson Reserve and Lookout: Just south of the city, this reserve has clear views of the city and harbour.
- Sandy Park and surrounds: South of Hobart, Derwent Beach Reserve, Manning Avenue, Red Chapel Reserve, Long Beach Reserve and Alexandra Battery Park are penned as potential vantage points on the night.
- Clarence: On the eastern side of the Derwent Bridge, vantage points include Kangaroo Bluff Reserve, Kangaroo Bay Park, Bellerive Beach, Howrah Beach and Carella Neighbourhood Park.
Best Hobart New Year's Eve festivals
Hobart's main New Year's Eve festivals Taste of Tasmania and the Launceston to Hobart yacht race have been cancelled for 2020 due to the pandemic.
New Year's Eve restaurants packages and events in Hobart
These are the dinner specials that have been confirmed for bringing in 2021.
- New Year's on the Pier at Hobart Function and Conference Centre: Dine on a 7-course degustation menu and enjoy Tassie beer, wine, sparkling and soft drinks through the night. Tickets are $190 pp.
- New Year's Eve at The Glass House: Join a cocktail party on the wharf from 5pm, including food and drinks until after the fireworks show at midnight. Tickets are $85 pp.
- New Year's Eve at Mures Upper Deck: Sit down, relax and indulge in great food and fantastic fireworks views from Mures. Choose between an early family-friendly dinner or a celebration dinner where you'll be able to catch the 9.30pm fireworks fro your table. Tickets from $105pp (adults) and $40pp (children).
- New Year's at Wrest Point: Finish the year on a high with a 4-course dinner with matching wines and degustation in the revolving restaurant at 7.30pm. Tickets from $295pp. Or, if you've got little ones, spend it with the family friendly buffet at the Buffet & Coffee Shop at 5.30pm or 8pm. Tickets from $135 (adults) and $75 (child).
- Peppermint Bay cruise and dinner: It's summer so why spend it on land when you can be on the water? Pappermint Bay Cruises is reprising its NYE cruise in 2020 with views of the beach, harbour and wildlife as you make your way from Brooke Street Pier to Peppermint Bay Hotel for your dinner and drinks. Tickets $250pp.
- Tavern 42 Degrees South: Reserve your spot for the 31st, right there on the harbour at T42. Your night starts at 8pm and features a 5-course dinner with drink on arrival and the chance to catch not one but two fireworks displays. Tickets $110pp.
- Tasman Restaurant: Grab the gang and spend the last minutes of 2020 together over a two- or three-course dinner inside the stunning Hotel Grand Chancellor's restaurant. From $55pp (2 course) or $65pp (3 course).
- The Great Gatsby New Year's Eve Party: Send 2020 off in roaring 20s fashion decked to the nines in flappers and pearls at this Great Gatsby Party. Held at the Den, there will be a 2-hour cabaret experience to entertain you while you sump on your 4-course meal and sparkling wine. There are two seatings available finishing one at 6.30pm for families and the second at 9.30pm for the adults. Tickets $100pp.
Is your event missing from this list?
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Hobart
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Port Arthur Scenic Helicopter Flight
Iron Pot and Betsey Island Cruise
Tasman National Park ATV Adventure
Private Laser Skirmish
Aerobatic WWII Indulgence Flight
Mount Wellington Descent Cycling Tour
Best accommodation in Hobart for New Year’s Eve
The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel
Quest Serviced Apartments - Waterfront
Imperial Hotel Backpackers
Best Western Hobart
Mantra Collins Hotel
See the latest Hobart deals
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert