New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Fireworks, festivals and everything in between.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
The tantalising Tasmanian city of Hobart puts on quite a show over the harbour for New Year's.
From waterfront piers as prime fireworks viewpoints to indulgent New Year's Eve menus at city restaurants, here are some of the best things to do in Hobart on New Year's Eve.
Where to watch the Hobart New Year's Eve fireworks
Hobart's main New Year’s Eve fireworks display is over the harbour, skyrocketing from the middle of the River Derwent. There is a family-friendly 9.30pm display and a traditional midnight celebration.
Both fireworks shows are typically best seen from the waterfront. However, in 2020/2021 the displays will be higher to allow greater visibility from further vantage points across Hobart and Clarence councils.
Here are the main vantage points for 2020/2021.
- Hobart Waterfront: Watch the fireworks over the harbour from the waterfront walkways, Salamanca, wharves and reserves. This includes Marwson Place, Parliament House Lawns, Princes Park and AJ Park
- Mount Wellington: If you're up for the trek up to the top, watch the fireworks display from a kilometre above the city.
- Mount Nelson Reserve and Lookout: Just south of the city, this reserve has clear views of the city and harbour.
- Sandy Park and surrounds: South of Hobart, Derwent Beach Reserve, Manning Avenue, Red Chapel Reserve, Long Beach Reserve and Alexandra Battery Park are penned as potential vantage points on the night.
- Clarence: On the eastern side of the Derwent Bridge, vantage points include Kangaroo Bluff Reserve, Kangaroo Bay Park, Bellerive Beach, Howrah Beach and Carella Neighbourhood Park.
Best Hobart New Year's Eve festivals
Hobart's main New Year's Eve festivals Taste of Tasmania and the Launceston to Hobart yacht race have been cancelled for 2020 due to the pandemic.
New Year's Eve restaurants packages and events in Hobart
These are the dinner specials that have been confirmed for bringing in 2021.
- New Year's on the Pier at Hobart Function and Conference Centre: Dine on a 7-course degustation menu and enjoy Tassie beer, wine, sparkling and soft drinks through the night. Tickets are $190 pp.
- New Year's Eve at The Glass House: Join a cocktail party on the wharf from 5pm, including food and drinks until after the fireworks show at midnight. Tickets are $85 pp.
- New Year's Eve at Mures Upper Deck: Sit down, relax and indulge in great food and fantastic fireworks views from Mures. Choose between an early family-friendly dinner or a celebration dinner where you'll be able to catch the 9.30pm fireworks fro your table. Tickets from $105pp (adults) and $40pp (children).
- New Year's at Wrest Point: Finish the year on a high with a 4-course dinner with matching wines and degustation in the revolving restaurant at 7.30pm. Tickets from $295pp. Or, if you've got little ones, spend it with the family friendly buffet at the Buffet & Coffee Shop at 5.30pm or 8pm. Tickets from $135 (adults) and $75 (child).
- Peppermint Bay cruise and dinner: It's summer so why spend it on land when you can be on the water? Pappermint Bay Cruises is reprising its NYE cruise in 2020 with views of the beach, harbour and wildlife as you make your way from Brooke Street Pier to Peppermint Bay Hotel for your dinner and drinks. Tickets $250pp.
- Tavern 42 Degrees South: Reserve your spot for the 31st, right there on the harbour at T42. Your night starts at 8pm and features a 5-course dinner with drink on arrival and the chance to catch not one but two fireworks displays. Tickets $110pp.
- Tasman Restaurant: Grab the gang and spend the last minutes of 2020 together over a two- or three-course dinner inside the stunning Hotel Grand Chancellor's restaurant. From $55pp (2 course) or $65pp (3 course).
- The Great Gatsby New Year's Eve Party: Send 2020 off in roaring 20s fashion decked to the nines in flappers and pearls at this Great Gatsby Party. Held at the Den, there will be a 2-hour cabaret experience to entertain you while you sump on your 4-course meal and sparkling wine. There are two seatings available finishing one at 6.30pm for families and the second at 9.30pm for the adults. Tickets $100pp.
Is your event missing from this list?
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Hobart
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Port Arthur Scenic Helicopter Flight
Iron Pot and Betsey Island Cruise
Tasman National Park ATV Adventure
Private Laser Skirmish
Aerobatic WWII Indulgence Flight
Mount Wellington Descent Cycling Tour
Best accommodation in Hobart for New Year’s Eve
The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel
Quest Serviced Apartments - Waterfront
Imperial Hotel Backpackers
Best Western Hobart
Mantra Collins Hotel
See the latest Hobart deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
What’s in the MAC Cosmetics Lunar New Year collection 2019?
Find out when you can get your hands on the coveted Lunar New Year collection for 2019.
100 New Years Eve dresses under $100 for 2021
If you're ordering your New Years Eve dress online, these are our top 100 picks. The best part? They're all under $100.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
New Year’s Eve on the Gold Coast 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
From prime vantage points to cruises, island parties to restaurants, here's your hot list of where to celebrate New Year's Eve on the Gold Coast.
New Year’s Eve in Canberra 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Catch the fireworks from some of the best vantage points in the city with our guide to New Year's Eve in Canberra.
Where to go for a seamless New Year’s Eve in Sydney
The New Year's Eve event tickets you can still get your hands on, and the best free places to go to start 2017 right.
Australia Day in Hobart 2021: What’s on in the city
Must-do Australia Day experiences when celebrating in Hobart.
Ask an Expert