New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2021/22 | What’s happening on NYE
Choose from fireworks and festivals and everything in between.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The tantalising Tasmanian city of Hobart puts on quite a show over the harbour for New Year's.
From waterfront piers as prime fireworks viewpoints to indulgent New Year's Eve menus at city restaurants, here are some of the best things to do in Hobart on New Year's Eve.
Hobart's main New Year’s Eve fireworks display is over the harbour, skyrocketing from the middle of the River Derwent. There is a family-friendly 9.30pm display and a traditional midnight celebration.
Both fireworks shows are typically best seen from the waterfront.
These will be the main vantage points this year:
- Hobart Waterfront: Watch the fireworks over the harbour from the waterfront walkways, Salamanca, wharves and reserves. This includes Mawson Place, Parliament House Lawns, Princes Park and AJ Park.
- Mount Wellington: If you're up for the trek up to the top, watch the fireworks display from a kilometre above the city.
- Mount Nelson Reserve and Lookout: Just south of the city, this reserve has clear views of the city and harbour.
- Sandy Park and surrounds: South of Hobart, Derwent Beach Reserve, Manning Avenue, Red Chapel Reserve, Long Beach Reserve and Alexandra Battery Park are penned as potential vantage points on the night.
- Clarence: On the eastern side of the Derwent Bridge, vantage points include Kangaroo Bluff Reserve, Kangaroo Bay Park, Bellerive Beach, Howrah Beach and Carella Neighbourhood Park.
- Taste of Summer: A fresh flavour of the Taste of Tasmania event. This 7-day event falls over New Year's Eve running from 28 December 2021 until 3 January 2022. There will be over 80 stallholders offering some of the best seafood, cheese, wine and beer from the state and will have a New Year's celebration during the event. NYE tickets from $71.65pp.
- Launceston to Hobart Yacht Race: Making a return in 2021, the Launceston to Hobart race will start on 27 December and finish with a celebratory prize presentation on 31 December at 3:30pm.
- NYE 2021: The Last Laugh: Enjoy a laugh at the Wrest Point Casino Showroom in Sandy Bay. There are 2 shows that will be presented by Jokers Comedy for the evening. Comedy at the Casino and 2021: The Last Laugh start at 7pm and 10pm respectively. Catch the NYE fireworks afterwards. Tickets from $49.91pp.
- NYE Party at Bar Wa: Party the night away at Bar Wa Izakaya this New Year's Eve. Enjoy upbeat music by DJ Late Night Sashimi along with casual drinks with friends starting at 10pm.
- Hobart Summer New Year's Eve: Fill your New Year's Eve with tunes from a line-up of Australian artists. Ring in the new year jamming out to The Presets, Vera Blue, Chase City and more. General admission tickets from $112.20pp (CANCELLED)
- New Year's on the Pier at Hobart Function and Conference Centre: Dine on a 7-course degustation menu and enjoy Tassie beer, wine, sparkling and soft drinks throughout the night. Tickets from $190pp.
- Peppermint Bay Cruise: It's summer so why spend it on land when you can be on the water? Peppermint Bay Cruises New Year's Eve cruise includes views of the beach, harbour and wildlife. Departing from Hobart at 5:20pm, you'll enjoy a 6-course meal, drinks, entertainment and views of the midnight fireworks. Tickets $300pp.
- NYE's on The Deck: Crowne Plaza Hobart is hosting a NYE party from 7pm-1am. Enjoy the evening with friends and eat and drink some cocktails, beers, roaming canapes and a complimentary glass of Tassie bubbles. Tickets from $100pp.
- Viva Wrest Vegas: Vegas Style Buffet: Treat yourselves with a well-deserved iconic Vegas-style buffet in The Buffet and Coffee shop at Wrest Point Hotel & Casino. It's also a great spot to get a view of the early fireworks. Tickets from $60pp.
- New Year's Eve at The Glass House: Join a cocktail party on the wharf including food and drinks until after the fireworks show at midnight. Tickets are $120pp. (SOLD OUT)
Here are some restaurants that offered dining packages in 2020 that haven't announced their New Year's Eve events for 2021. It may be worth booking a spot for a night of fine dining anyway.
- Wrest Point The Point Revolving Restaurant
- Wrest Point Waterfront
- Tavern 42 Degrees South
- Restaurant Tasman
At-home dining options in Hobart
Homemade Pasta Making Kit
Spanish Paella Kit
Perfect Pizza Oven At Home Kit
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Hobart
Finish off 2021 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
High Tea at Hadley's Orient Hotel
Derwent River Yacht Cruise
Hobart Hands-on Trial Flight
Old Kempton Distillery Tour
Tasman National Park 4x4 Adventure
Feeding Tour at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel
Quest Serviced Apartments - Waterfront
Imperial Hotel Backpackers
Best Western Hobart
Mantra Collins Hotel
See the latest Hobart deals
More guides on Finder
How to do a COVID-19 test at home for international travel
Here’s where you can book COVID-19 at-home tests approved for travel and how it works.
Where to shop every product in Kiernan Shipka’s beauty routine
We've rounded up everything you need to nail the 'date-worthy' makeup look, including some affordable dupes.
American Express Corporate Gold Card
Designed for big companies, this Amex charge card offers a mix of management tools and perks – including a 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards offer.
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Beauty Product Of The Week: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer
We tried the viral Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer and spoiler alert, it's the bee's knees.
Where to watch Hotel Transylvania 4 online for free in Australia
Drac and the Pack are back, like you’ve never seen them before.
Dyson V12 Detect Slim review: Baby love, my baby love
A delightful compact vacuum with an unjustifiable price.
Stan Event: Streaming platform joins pay-per-view ranks
A new player enters the Australian sports broadcast market.
Amazon Echo Buds (2nd Gen) review: Fine if you’re already trapped by Bezos
The Amazon Echo Buds 2 are a solid addition to your earholes if you’re already integrated in the Alexa ecosystem. But if you’re not, its hard to find anything here that really stands out.
How to watch Adelaide Strikers vs Perth Scorchers BBL live and match preview
Bottom meets top in the BBL as Perth look to continue their winning ways against the Strikers.
Ask an Expert