The best events, fireworks viewpoints and restaurants in Hobart.
The tantalising Tasmanian city of Hobart puts on quite a show over the harbour for New Year's, and although it’s a quieter event than other cities (we’re looking at you, Sydney), it's still something to see.
From waterfront piers as prime fireworks viewpoints to indulgent New Year's Eve menus at city restaurants, here are some of the best things to do in Hobart on 31 December.
Where to watch the Hobart New Year's Eve fireworks
Hobart's main New Year’s Eve fireworks display is over the harbour and is best seen from along the waterfront. Here are the main vantage points for 2018/2019.
- Hobart Waterfront: Watch the fireworks over the harbour from the waterfront walkways, Salamanca and wharves.
- Mount Wellington: If you’re up for the trek up to the top, watch the fireworks display from a kilometre above the city.
- Mount Nelson Lookout: Just south of the city, this reserve has clear views of the city and harbour.
Best New Year’s Eve dinners in Hobart
- New Year's on the Pier at Hobart Function and Conference Centre: Dine on a 7-course degustation menu and enjoy Tassie beers, wine, sparkling and soft drinks through the night. Tickets from $185.
- New Year’s Eve at The Glass House: Join a cocktail party on the wharf from 9:30pm, including food and drinks until after the fireworks show at midnight. Tickets from $260.
- New Year’s at Wrest Point: Premium dinners with matching wines and degustations in the revolving restaurant at 7:30pm. Tickets from $270.
Best Hobart New Year’s Eve events
- The Taste of Tasmania: This 7-day event falls over New Year’s Eve and has almost 70 stalls offering some of the best seafood, cheese, wines and beers from the state and will have a New Year’s celebration during the event. Tickets from $65.
Best New Year’s Eve accommodation in Hobart
Mayfair Plaza Motel Hobart
The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel
Wrest Point Tasmania
Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart
Best Western Hobart
Hadley's Orient Hotel