New Year’s Eve on the Gold Coast 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Everything you need to know to ring in the new year in style on the Gold Coast.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
Hoping to start 2021 off on the right foot on the Gold Coast by counting down the minutes to the fireworks from your hand-picked vantage point or at a dining spot with friends? You've come to the right place.
Whatever your agenda, from the sands of Surfers Paradise to Broadbeach, we've got the intel on where you need to be.
Find out below which 2021 New Year's Eve events are going ahead.
Where to watch the Gold Coast New Year's Eve fireworks
The 2020/2021 fireworks display have been cancelled. Here's what happened last year.
The Gold Coast typically hosts numerous fireworks displays in and around the city. The most popular and arguably the most spectacular are:
|Location||Time||What to expect|
|Surfers Paradise||8pm and midnight||Take in three pyrotechnics displays throughout the night with a beachfront view. Vantage points for the 8pm and midnight shows are ideal anywhere along Surfers Paradise Beach.|
|Southport||8.30pm||Broadwater Parklands offers the best vantage point for those catching the early Southport fireworks. It often features food trucks from 5pm onward.|
|Broadbeach||8pm and midnight||Kurrawa Park and Pratten Park generally host live performances from the first fireworks display right to the last over Broadbeach. Both are popular options for catching the night show.|
|Coolangatta||9pm and midnight||On the beach is where you should be sure to watch the fireworks over Coolangatta. True story.|
|Coomera||9pm||This kid-friendly event features amusement park rides as well as live music and food stalls.|
Best New Year’s Eve dinner specials on the Gold Coast
- Dracula's: For something a little different, Dracula's on the Gold Coast serves up an entertaining night of bloodsucking cabaret. Tickets are $113 for finder food, sparkling wine, premium seating, ghost train ride, and show.
- Garden Kitchen and Bar: Start the evening off with a late one at 9pm at Garden Kitchen and Bar. The dinner package usually includes a set menu, 4-hour beverage package, entertainment and access to the lawn. Bookings are essential.
- Cucina Vivo: Viva la casino. Housed within Star Casino, Cucina Vivo has two seatings one from 5-7pm and the other from 8pm to midnight. In other words, you want in on the second seating. This includes a 5-course degustation menu and 4 hours of drinks. The venue also has a balcony overlooking the fireworks so you witness all the action.
- Southport Yacht Club: Start the new year with a little bit of reggae down at the Southport Yacht Club. Indulge in a four-course Caribbean style dinner as you bring in 2021. Tickets are $109 for adults and $59 for kids.
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Gold Coast
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Gold Coast Beginners Group Surf Lesson
Jet Boat Ride in Central Surfers Paradise
Unlimited entry to Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World and Wet’n’Wild Gold Coast
Flying Fox High Ropes Adventure Park
Jet Ski Hire
Here are the Gold Coast New Year's Eve events that have been confirmed.
- New Year's Eve 2021 at the Coolangatta Hotel: Start off the new year to your favourite pop and rock anthems by heading down to the Coolangatta Hotel. General admission tickets are $29.10 a pop. The party kicks off at 8pm and runs until 2am.
- NYE at Southport Yacht Club: Enjoy a live reggae band, four-course plated dinner and prizes for best dressed. Adults tickets are $109 and children are $59. Bring out your crochet beanies, multi-coloured shirts and the tie-dye out so you can reggae your way into 2021.
- Arcade New Year's Eve: Bring in the new year with the Groove Terminator (Ministry Of Sounds), Chusup, Flash, Mark Jame and Andy Finn. Party kicks off from 9pm and ends at 5am. Tickets are $32.74pp.
- Golden Globes NYE Party: Count down the start of the new year dressed like the stars. Dust off yours gowns and tuxes for a night of dancing to the hits that ruled the 80s, 90s and 00s. The 3-hour food and drink package includes house beer, wine, champagne and spirits. Runs from 9pm-12am. Tickets are $127.69pp.
- Roaring 20s NYE at The Cavill Hotel: Get your Gatsby on with the 4-hour NYE package at the Cavill Hotel. Enjoy live entertainment and prizes for best dressed. Tickets between $51.64-$152.82pp.
- New Year's Eve at The Lucky Squire: Celebrate the end of 2020 with canapés, a wide range of beverages and live entertainment. Runs from 7pm-11pm. Tickets are $136.19-$209.51pp.
- Hollywood Nights: It's the NYE party with it all - champagne on arrival, Italian tapas, share platters, live music and more. Party starts at 8pm. Tickets are $135pp or $125pp for a table of ten.
Is your event missing from this list?
Best Gold Coast New Year's Eve cruises
- Anyboat: Why party with strangers when you can charter your own boat? Anyboat gives you that option with 10+ private boat hires from $400 an hour in December/January.
Is your cruise missing from this list?
What is Gold Coast doing for New Year's Eve to ensure it's COVID-safe?
The official announcement has confirmed that the city-run New Year's Eve event on the Gold Coast for 2020/2021 has been cancelled, but you can still safely celebrate within COVID-19 requirements elsewhere.
- Restaurants and events: Gold Coast restaurants are able to host New Year's Eve events, as long as there's at least 2 square metres of space per person. This means capacities may be reduced, so you may want to book a table in advance.
Celebrating New Year's Eve at home on the Gold Coast: What's allowed
- Gathering sizes indoors and outdoors: If you're hosting a New Year's party at home, you can have up to 50 people in your home or in a single outdoor gathering on New Year's Eve. If there are new cases, this number will be decreased to just 10.
Gold Coast accommodation for New Year's Eve that's still available
Still need somewhere to stay on 31 December on the Gold Coast? These hotels and resorts still have rooms available on New Year's Eve. We'll update this list as rooms sell out.
Chateau Beachside Resort
Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Mantra Circle On Cavill
Mercure Gold Coast Resort
Vibe Hotel Gold Coast
Q1 Resort & Spa
See the latest New Year's Eve deals on the Gold Coast
More guides on Finder
9 things to do on Boxing Day on the Gold Coast
Get amongst it all on 26 December with these adrenaline-fuelled or family-friendly activities available on the Gold Coast.
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
What’s open on the Gold Coast right now?
Major shopping centres, public spaces and dining options are still open across the Gold Coast during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are a few to get you started.
2020 AFL preview: Gold Coast Suns team guide
Gold Coast will be desperately hoping for signs of improvement in the 2020 AFL season.
What’s open in Sydney: Bars, restaurants and attractions
Here are the shopping centres and public spaces that are still open in Sydney. Looking for a bite to eat? See your dine-in and takeaway restaurant options. Plus, find out what restrictions have been lifted in NSW.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
Gold Coast cruises compared
With options like sightseeing, lunch, dinner and more available, compare you Gold Coast cruise options right here to make sure you book the best one.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
Ask an Expert