Everything you need to know to ring in the new year in style on the Gold Coast.
Hoping to start 2019 off on the right foot on the Gold Coast by counting down the minutes to the fireworks from your hand-picked vantage point, your hot table or with mates at the coolest club? You've come to the right place.
Whatever your agenda, from the sands of Surfers Paradise to Braodbeach, we've got the intel on where you need to be.
Where to watch the Gold Coast New Year's Eve fireworks
While the 2018/2019 events haven't been announced yet, here's what happened last year.
The Gold Coast hosts numerous fireworks displays in and around the city. The most popular and arguably the most spectacular are:
|Location||Time||What to expect|
|Surfers Paradise||8pm and midnight||Take in three pyrotechnics displays throughout the night with a beachfront view. Vantage points for the 8pm and midnight shows are ideal anywhere along Surfers Paradise Beach.|
|Southport||8.30pm||Broadwater Parklands offers the best vantage point for those catching the early Southport fireworks. It often features food trucks from 5pm onward.|
|Broadbeach||8pm and midnight||Kurrawa Park and Pratten Park generally host live performances from the first fireworks display right to the last over Broadbeach. Both are popular options for catching the night show.|
|Coolangatta||9pm and midnight||On the beach is where you should be sure to watch the fireworks over Coolangatta. True story.|
|Coomera||9pm||This kid-friendly event features amusement park rides as well as live music and food stalls.|
Best New Year’s Eve dinner specials on the Gold Coast
- Southport Yacht Club: Put your monies toward your NYE dinner at Southport Yacht Club and in return you'll receive a seafood buffet and live entertainment. Bookings are essential.
- Dracula's: For something a little different, Dracula's on the Gold Coast serves up an entertainment night of bloodsucking cabaret. Tickets are $150 and includes a three-course dinner, ghost train ride, and show.
- Four Winds 360° Revolving Restaurant: Panoramic city views and an incredible buffet dinner is what you're signing yourself up for at Four Winds. Dinner seatings are available a 5.30pm and 9pm priced at $99 and $189 respectively.
- Garden Kitchen and Bar: Start the evening off with a late one at 9pm at Garden Kitchen and Bar. The dinner package is $165 per person and includes a 3-hour beverage package, entertainment and access to the lawn. Bookings are essential.
- Cucina Vivo: Viva la casino. Housed within Star Casino, Cucina Vivo has an a la carte seating at 5pm or a set degustation menu, including 4 hours of drinks, for $185 per person at 8pm on offer. The venue also has a balcony overlooking the fireworks so you witness all the action.
- Kiyomi: Winner of the "Best Prestige Restaurant" at the 2017 QHA awards, you won't be disappointed when you dine at this fine Japanese restaurant. Its NYE set menu is an 8-course baller priced at $145 per person, shared for 2, and includes a glass of champagne on arrival. That part isn't shared.
- Imperial at The Star: Indulge in the Chinese cuisine of Imperial. Tonight it showcases its a la carte menu at 5:30pm and its set menu for $138pp at 8pm until late. And by late, we mean aroundish midnight.
- Harvest Buffet: Book into one of the best buffet dinners in town, located inside Star Casino. Open from 5pm-midnight for $99 you get the buffet plus a free glass of bubbles.
- InterContinental Sanctuary Cove: Tuck into a buffet dinner at Cafe Cove with the whole family in tow. On the menu is Hervey Bay scallops, Peking duck pancakes and hand crafted truffles. Prices start from $145 for adults, which includes bubbles on arrival. Kids welcome.
Dracula's New Years Eve show from Experience Oz
Enjoy and celebrate New Years Eve with a thrilling and memorable evening at Dracula’s.
- Inclusions: 3-course dinner, Dracula's show, midnight countdown and more.
- Date: 31 December 2018.
- Location: 1 Hooker Boulevard, Broadbeach, Gold Coast
While the rest of the 2018/2019 New Year's Eve dinners haven't been announced yet, here are some of the events held this past year so you can get an idea of what's to come.
- Palazzo Versace: The swanky hotel has dinner packages guaranteed to stun. Opulence is on the table tonight with a seafood buffet in Il Barocco restaurant for $169 for an early sitting or $249 for a later sitting which includes a premium beverage package. At the hotel's other restaurant Vanitas you can enjoy a 5-course degustation for $450. This includes paired wines and champagne on arrival. Both end at 10pm after which the Bianco Ball opens for a night of splendour in the lead up to the midnight fireworks. Entry to the ball is $250, which includes a three-hour beverage package and glass of champagne on arrival.
- Hard Rock Cafe: Glam up and rock out on the last night of 2017 at Hard Rock Cafe. Dinner packages are $95-$115 and include full-course meals with unlimited drinks. A dance party follows from 10pm-3am. Dinner and dance tickets are $200, otherwise party entry is $100.
- Hurricanes, Surfers Paradise: For an indulgent night of grilled meats you can't walk past the smell of Hurricane's. For its New Year's Eve affair, the restaurant offers two seatings at 5pm and 8:30pm priced at $125 and $155 respectively. They're timed specifically to catch the 9pm and midnight fireworks.
Best Gold Coast New Year's Eve events and parties
- New Year's Dux Anchorage: Set sail for South Stradbroke Island for a party like no other. Live tunes courtesy of The Street Cafe will play from sundown (8pm) to midnight. It's a BYO event so remember to bring the picnic basket and blanket. Tickets from $25 which includes entry and BYO food.
- Skypoint Observation Deck at Q1: Skypoint transports you to Havana for one night only that'll have you dancing to Cuban tunes all New Year's Eve. Tickets are $199 which includes 3 hours of canapes, 4.5 hours of drinks, live entertainment and DJ. They'll provide the entertainment, you'll bring the sparkle.
- Fireworks on the Lawn at Garden Kitchen Bar: If you can't quite afford the $165 for the restaurant package, round up the crew for a pop-up picnic on its lawn. The lawn is free admission though you can add picnic packages for $1,200 which covers 8 people (so $150 per person). For this you'll get cheese and charcuterie boards and an $800 tab for food and drinks. You'll also have a starring view of the fireworks, pop-up lawn bar and entertainment from 3pm.
- InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort Beach Party: Snag a VIP ticket to one of the hottest beach NYE parties this year and you'll receive the works: three hours of gourmet food and four hours of drinks, exclusive access to the beach lagoon and a view of the fireworks at midnight. Tickets are $209 per person. This an adult's only event.
- Atrium Bar at The Star: Live music, comfy new booths and a wide range of beverages will have you ringing in the new year in style. Bookings required.
Best family-friendly Gold Coast New Year’s Eve events
- New Year's Carnival in Surfers Paradise: Tuck in for a night of family fun on one of the Gold Coast's most renowned beaches. The event starts as early as Thursday evening 27 December and runs until the last fireworks have cracked the sky on New Year's Day. On top of three different fireworks displays, the event features carnival rides and plenty of food options.
Best Gold Coast New Year's Eve cruises
- Wyndham Cruises: Catch the fireworks from your spot of the water with a cruise that takes you on Broadwater and past coastal landmarks before pausing for the midnight show. This cruise features live music, beverage package and canapes for $199 per person.
- Wicked Pub Crawl: Self-proclaimed as one of the best party boats in the Gold Coast, Wicked Pub Crawl hosts a New Year's Eve cruise complete with finger food, online party photos and live music. First release tickets start at $90pp.
- Gold Coast Party Cruises: For that affordable cruise party, look no further than Gold Coast Party Cruises. Packages start from $89 and include DJ, party games and other live entertainment.
Gold Coast New Year's Eve accommodation
Still need somewhere to stay on 31 December on the Gold Coast? These hotels and resorts still have rooms available on New Year's Eve:
QT Gold Coast
Palazzo Versace Hotel Gold Coast
Vibe Hotel Gold Coast
Mantra Twin Towns
The Star Gold Coast
Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast