Everything you need to know to ring in the new year in style on the Gold Coast.
While New Year's Eve may have just come and gone, there's nothing wrong with taking plenty of time to plan the next event to ensure it's bigger and better than the last.
To start 2019 off on the right foot on the Gold Coast, count down the minutes to the fireworks from your hand-picked vantage point, your hot table or with mates at the coolest club.
Whatever your agenda, we've got the intel on where you need to be.
Where to watch the Gold Coast New Year’s Eve fireworks?
While the 2018/2019 events haven't been announced yet, here's what happened last year.
The Gold Coast hosts numerous fireworks displays in and around the city. The most popular and arguably the most spectacular are:
|Location||Time||What to expect|
|Surfers Paradise||8pm, 10pm and midnight||Take in three pyrotechnics displays throughout the night with a beachfront view. Vantage points for the 8pm and midnight shows are ideal anywhere along Surfers Paradise Beach. The 10pm display is launched over Nerang River and the best view is from Surfers Paradise Riverside. Along the foreshore you can expect rides and activities for young and old and restaurants are nearby throughout the precinct.|
|Southport||9pm||Broadwater Parklands offers the best vantage point for those catching the early Southport fireworks. It often features food trucks from 5pm onward.|
|Main Beach||8pm and midnight||Located just in front of the Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Main Beach dazzles with two fireworks displays tonight. If you can't secure your view/room inside the hotel, mark your spot with a picnic blanket in Phillip Park instead.|
|Broadbeach||8pm and midnight||Kurrawa Park and Pratten Park generally host live performances from the first fireworks display right to the last over Broadbeach. Both are popular options for catching the night show.|
|Coolangatta||9pm and midnight||On the beach is where you should be sure to watch the fireworks over Coolangatta. True story.|
|Coomera||9:30pm||This kid-friendly event features amusement park rides as well as live music and food stalls.|
Best New Year’s Eve dinner specials on the Gold Coast
While the 2018/2019 New Year's Eve dinners haven't been announced yet, here are some of the events held this past year so you can get an idea of what's to come.
- Palazzo Versace: The swanky hotel has dinner packages guaranteed to stun. Opulence is on the table tonight with a seafood buffet in Il Barocco restaurant for $169 for an early sitting or $249 for a later sitting which includes a premium beverage package. At the hotel's other restaurant Vanitas you can enjoy a 5-course degustation for $450. This includes paired wines and champagne on arrival. Both end at 10pm after which the Bianco Ball opens for a night of splendour in the lead up to the midnight fireworks. Entry to the ball is $250, which includes a three-hour beverage package and glass of champagne on arrival.
- Dracula's: For something a little different, Dracula's on the Gold Coast serves up an entertainment night of bloodsucking cabaret. Tickets are $95 and includes a three-course dinner, ghost train ride, VIP necklace and glass of champagne at midnight.
- Hard Rock Cafe: Glam up and rock out on the last night of 2017 at Hard Rock Cafe. Dinner packages are $95-$115 and include full-course meals with unlimited drinks. A dance party follows from 10pm-3am. Dinner and dance tickets are $200, otherwise party entry is $100.
- Four Winds: 360° revolving views and an incredible buffet dinner is what you're signing yourself up for at Four Winds. Seatings are available at 5:30pm and 9pm and prices start at $129 per person.
- Skypoint Observation Deck at Q1: Skypoint turns into Studio 54 for one night only featuring a mix of canapes and dancing on New Year's Eve. Tickets are $195 which includes food, drinks until midnight, live entertainment and DJ. They'll provide the entertainment, you'll bring the sparkle.
- Food Fantasy: Book into one of the best buffet dinners in town, located inside Star Casino. Open from 5:30pm-late for $99 you get the buffet plus a free glass of bubbles.
- Garden Kitchen and Bar: Choose between a 5pm a la carte meal or 8pm set menu at Garden Kitchen and Bar. The set is $99 and includes a glass of bubbles, tap beer or wine on arrival. Bookings are essential.
- Cucina Vivo: Viva la casino. Housed within Star Casino, Cucina Vivo has an a la carte seating at 5pm or a set menu for $140 at 8pm on offer. The venue also has a balcony overlooking the fireworks so you witness all the action.
- Kiyomi: Winner of the "Best Prestige Restaurant" at the 2017 QHA awards, you won't be disappointed when you dine at this fine Japanese restaurant. Two seatings are available for its NYE set menu which starts at $100 and includes a glass of champagne on arrival.
- Imperial at The Star: Indulge in the Chinese cuisine of Imperial. Tonight it showcases its a la carte menu and a restaurant set menu at 6pm and 8pm respectively. The set includes a glass of wine on arrival.
- Hurricanes: For an indulgent night of grilled meats you can't walk past the smell of Hurricane's. For its New Year's Eve affair, the restaurant offers two seatings at 5pm and 8:30pm priced at $125 and $155 respectively. They're timed specifically to catch the 9pm and midnight fireworks.
- Southport Yacht Club: Put $99 toward your NYE dinner at Southport Yacht Club and in return you'll receive a seafood buffet and live entertainment.
- Dux Anchorage: Part of Southport Yacht Club, Dux Anchorage is an island only accessible by boat. Tonight though, it's party central featuring music by The Bostock Band. Food and drinks are BYO and entry is $25.
- InterContinental Sanctuary Cove: Tuck into a buffet dinner at Cafe Cove with the whole family in tow. On the menu are Moreton Bay bugs, scallops and spanner crabs and prices start from $145 for adults, which includes bubbles on arrival. Kids welcome.
Best Gold Coast New Year’s Eve events and parties
These are some of the top parties from 2017/2018, and we're keeping our eyes peeled to see what's in store for this year.
- White Party: This year marks White Party’s 10th anniversary and with it comes promises of the best lineup the party has ever seen. Set on a tropical island off the coast of Gold Coast, exclusive party cruises ferry revellers to the scene where they dance from sunset to sunrise. This year's lineup includes Brooklyn, Colour Castle, Prinsh and Dash One with more to be announced soon. Tickets start at $129.
- Atrium Bar at The Star: Live music, comfy new booths and a wide range of beverages will have you ringing in the new year in style. Bookings required.
- InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort Beach Party: Snag a VIP ticket to one of the hottest beach NYE parties this year and you'll receive the works: five hours of gourmet food and drinks, exclusive access to the beach lagoon and a view of the fireworks at midnight. Tickets are $219 per person.
$15 off New Year's Eve show at Dracula's Gold Coast from Groupon
Save on the New Year's Eve dinner and show at Dracula's Gold Coast. Entry includes a three-course dinner, live show, ghost train ride, souvenir necklace and champagne at midnight in a keep cup. The event starts between 7-7:30.View details
Best family-friendly Gold Coast New Year’s Eve events
- NightQuarter: Each year this famous night market transforms into a family-friendly playground of live entertainment and activities. This year's spectacular is yet to be announced but 2016 rang in the new year featuring a mini music festival that ran from 4pm-1am, circus acts, street carnival, magicians, fire twirlers and plenty of food stalls that kept the masses smiling from ear to ear.
Best Gold Coast New Year’s Eve cruises
Here's some of the top cruises available for 2017/2018. As soon as this year's cruises are announced, we'll update this space.
- Wyndham Cruises: Catch the fireworks from your spot of the water with a cruise that takes you on Broadwater and past coastal landmarks before pausing for the midnight show. This cruise features live music, beverage package and canapes for $249 per person.
- Wicked Pub Crawl: Self-proclaimed as one of the best party boats in the Gold Coast, Wicked Pub Crawl hosts a New Year's Eve cruise complete with finger food, online party photos and live music.
- Gold Coast Party Cruises: For that affordable cruise party, look no further than Gold Coast Party Cruises. Packages start from $89 and include DJ, party games and other live entertainment.
Gold Coast New Year's Eve accommodation
Still need somewhere to stay on 31 December on the Gold Coast? These hotels and resorts still have rooms available on New Year's Eve:
QT Gold Coast
Palazzo Versace Hotel Gold Coast
Vibe Hotel Gold Coast
Mantra Twin Towns
The Star Gold Coast
Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast