New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Our tips to have a top New Year's Eve in the Top End.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
So you're in Darwin for New Year’s Eve? From fireworks and a party on a boat to a sit-down dinner by the sea, there's plenty to do in the Top End city.
Including catching two 10-minute long fireworks displays at 9pm for families and midnight for the main event.
Darwin Waterfront events: Fireworks and festivities
If there's one place you need to be to celebrate the turn of the year, it's Darwin Waterfront. This year it's a pre-registered event so lock in your spot asap. Tickets are $20 per person with children under 5 year old free with a registered adult.
Get there at 4pm when it all kicks off to get stuck into the entertainment. This includes Hot100 FM's Dannii and Brent, Paw Patrol, Jordan Ravi and Tones and I. Food stalls and roving entertainment will keep the whole tribe full and entertained. Come 9pm though, be sure to take a breather and look up to catch the family friendly fireworks.
Then, stick around to catch Sheppard and DJ Kay as they entertain you until the midnight fireworks display. For the big kids, don't worry as there's also an outdoor bar where you can grab a glass of bubbly to toast to the new year.
- Darwin Tour: Make the most of the 9pm fireworks view by strolling around Darwin on a 24 or 48 hour bus tour visiting the city's iconic places like the Mindil Beach, Crocosaurus Cove and more.
Best New Year’s Eve dinners in Darwin
Wish to dine in style on New Year's Eve while catching the fireworks from your table? These restaurants have you sorted with dinner packages and views to boot.
- Pee Wee’s at the Point: Dine on a set menu with a clear view over Fannie Bay for the midnight fireworks.
- Il Lido: Set on the lagoon in Darwin and reserve a seat overlooking NYE fireworks.
- GoldeNeYE @ Wharf One Food & Wine: Set yourself up for a 3-course meal complete with 9pm and midnight fireworks viewings at Wharf One. Reservations start from 5.30pm and dishes include Dutch beef croquettes, gin cured salmon, backed local Jew fish, crispy skin pork belly with pineapple chutney puree and mini pavloa. Tickets $85 adults and $60 children.
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Darwin
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Full Day Dundee Beach Boat Hire For Fishing
V8 Airboat Tour
Helicopter Flying Lesson
Best Darwin New Year’s Eve events and parties
- Monsoons NYE Party: Monsoon's "Thank U, Next" event says goodbye to what was a less-than perfect year and hello to the future. Get in before 9pm for free entry and spend the dancing to DJ Delicious, Indigo Starlight and Ruby Phoenix until the pink balloons drop at midnight.
- Waterfront Deck NYE 2020 @ Wharf One: Private bar? Pizza food stalls? Waterfront views? It's all happening at the lower deck of Wharf One Food & Wine. Tickets $30pp.
- Casino Royale Party 2020 @ Wharf One: Bond fans will love this OTT event filled with 4.5 hours fo drinks and food. Then, let's not forget those prime fireworks vantage spots. While fancy dress is optional if you choose to dress to the nines you could come away with a pretty sweet best-dressed prize. Tickets $169pp.
- 2020 Piss Off Party @ The Precinct: Ready to say farewell to this unprecedented year? Give it the finger at this events. It has live music, DJs, VIP food and drinks. (Sold out).
- New Year's Eve on the Lawn @ The Precinct: Dance the night away under the stars at The Precinct's beer garden party. Tunes courtesy of John Rude and the Nude Dudes, DJ Matt Bern and DJ Sonix from 4pm all the way through to 3am. Free but bookings are recommended.
- The Cavenagh Hotel: Clock out of 2020 with some steak at The Cav followed by live music by 50Shadz until 3am. You know you want to. Doors open at 9pm, tickets free. Adults-only.
- Dinah Beach: Join the party at the Dinah Beach Cruise Yacht Association for live music in a casual atmosphere to the theme of Life In The Tropics. It's licensed to keep the party going until 1am. Free event. Outfits encouraged.
Is your event missing from this list?
Best New Year’s Eve accommodation in Darwin
Need somewhere to stay on 31 December?
These are some of the closest accommodations that are available within easy access to the fireworks at Darwin Waterfront.
Ramada Suites Zen Quarter
Palms City Resort
Travelodge Resort Darwin
Novotel Darwin CBD
See the latest Darwin deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
What’s in the MAC Cosmetics Lunar New Year collection 2019?
Find out when you can get your hands on the coveted Lunar New Year collection for 2019.
4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year at sea with these celebratory New Year's Eve cruises.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The best events, firework viewpoints and hotels to book for New Year’s Eve in Hobart.
New Year’s Eve on the Gold Coast 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
From prime vantage points to cruises, island parties to restaurants, here's your hot list of where to celebrate New Year's Eve on the Gold Coast.
New Year’s Eve in Canberra 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Catch the fireworks from some of the best vantage points in the city with our guide to New Year's Eve in Canberra.
Where to go for a seamless New Year’s Eve in Sydney
The New Year's Eve event tickets you can still get your hands on, and the best free places to go to start 2017 right.
Australia Day in Perth 2021 | Events and things to do
You won’t want to miss out on these Perth shenanigans.
Ask an Expert