All the tips for having a top New Year’s Eve in the Top End.
So you’re in Darwin for New Year’s Eve? Whether you’re keen for fireworks, a party on a boat or a sit-down dinner by the sea, there’s plenty of options in the Top End city.
Here’s what we’d be doing if we were in Darwin on 31 December this year.
Where to watch the Darwin New Year’s Eve fireworks?
In 2017/2018, Darwin’s New Year’s Eve fireworks show kicked off at the Darwin Waterfront at a family-friendly 9pm, and then again for the main event at midnight. The event area opened up from 4pm.
To get the crowd pumping, there was a free outdoor concert before the light show. There was also be local retailers and food stalls selling things to eat and drink.
The details for the 2018/2019 event hasn't been announced yet, but once it is, we'll update this space.
Best New Year’s Eve dinners in Darwin
The dinners for 2018/2019 haven't been announced yet, but here's what was on last year:
- Pee Wee’s at the Point: Dine on a set menu with a clear view over Fannie Bay for the midnight fireworks.
- Crustaceans: With the restaurant open from 5pm until late, this waterside spot is within prime fireworks viewing area.
- Il Lido: Set on the lagoon in Darwin, this New Year's event includes an antipasto plate and a beverage on arrival if you come in a group of six or more.
Best Darwin New Year’s Eve events and parties
The events and parties for 2018/2019 haven't been announced yet, but here's what was on last year:
- Dinah Beach: Join the party at the Dinah Beach Cruise Yacht Association for live music in a casual atmosphere. It’s licensed to keep the party going until 2am. Free event.
- New Year’s Eve VIP View with Sail Darwin: Take to the water and get the VIP view of the fireworks from aboard Sail Darwin’s yacht, including free-flowing champagne and tapas. Tickets from $190 per person, or $350 for an overnight stay on the boat.
- Monsoons: Expect a party at this bar and restaurant, which in the past has hosted epic New Year's Eve parties. Details TBC.
Best New Year’s Eve accommodation in Darwin
Need somewhere to stay on 31 December?
These are some of the closest accommodations that are available within easy access to the fireworks at Darwin Waterfront.