Marriott International launches home rentals in over 100 markets
Marriott becomes Airbnb's latest competitor in the home rental space.
Marriott International has launched Homes & Villas, which features over 2,000 highly curated homes in over 100 destinations around the United States, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.
The new initiative is similar to current holiday rental accommodation offerings by Airbnb and VRBO but with an emphasis on luxury and premium stays. Guests can expect a professionally cleaned home with high-speed Wi-Fi, premium linens and amenities as well as 24/7 support.
Members of Marriott Bonvoy, the name of the new travel program that replaced Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest, should also be able to earn and redeem points at these highly curated homes.
A pilot of the program was available in select European cities in 2018 and found that the average guest stay was more than triple the typical hotel stay. Over three-quarters of these guests were travelling for leisure with family and friends and almost 90% were Marriott Bonvoy members.
The introduction of Homes & Villas by Marriott International sees nearly 40 new destinations for members of Marriott Bonvoy to earn and redeem points, including Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast in Italy, St. Barts in the Caribbean and North Lake Tahoe in California.
Highlights of the new offering include the following:
- A four-bedroom cottage in California wine country on six private acres
- A six-bedroom villa in Sorrento, Italy overlooking the Mediterranean Sea with a wood-fired pizza oven and an infinity pool
- An oceanfront villa in Anguilla with a private beach, personal butler and house staff
- An 18th-century Irish castle that features a private lake for boating and fishing and sleeps 17
- A six-bedroom London townhouse with a children's playroom and climbing wall
Over time, you can expect Homes & Villas by Marriott International to introduce additional markets and increase the number of homes offered.
The official website for Homes & Villas is still underway, but in the meantime, you can check out the Marriott website for all other offerings and updates.
- Ask Finder: Is it worth buying airline gift cards?
- Ask Finder: Will the CommBank Awards frequent flyer changes help me earn more Qantas Points?
- Ask Finder: Do I need a visa to visit New Zealand?
- Ask Finder: Should I fly Qantas to London via Singapore or Perth?
- Ask Finder: Can you earn points on your credit card annual fee?