For the best surf, the shortest lines at theme parks and everything else that makes the Gold Coast great, this is when you should go.
If you are looking to visit the postcard worthy Gold Coast, make sure you visit during ideal holiday periods to get the most out of your trip. We have tracked down the best times to visit based on weather conditions, crowds and all the other important holiday factors.
When is the best time to visit Gold Coast?
April to May, after the Easter holidays, offers the best conditions for a holiday because of its consistently sunny temperatures and lower rainfall.
Cheapest time to fly to Gold Coast
While it may be tempting to visit the Gold Coast during the summer months of December to February, these periods can become uncomfortably warm and provide inconsistent tropical weather. Also, due to the destination’s popularity internationally, these periods become incredibly crowded with families travelling during the school holidays.
Also, it’s important to avoid visiting during mid-November to early December as this marks the “schoolies” and festival periods. During this period, the Gold Coast becomes incredibly crowded with prices for accommodation and activities rising extensively.
While Easter does fall in either March or April, travelling just after the school holiday period ends is the ideal time to visit.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit the Gold Coast, weather wise: Visiting between April to May means experiencing the most comfortable temperatures and lower rainfall.
Cheapest time to visit the Gold Coast: The cheapest time to experience the Gold Coast is during April to May as it is outside of the school holiday periods. It is also out of the schoolies/New Year tourist periods.
Cheapest time to visit the Gold Coast over the Christmas break: It's no secret that Christmas and New Years is the most expensive time to visit the Gold Coast during the season with 3-5 star accommodation averaging $269.58 per night for bookings between 22 December and 5 January, according to HotelsCombined. You can wind back the price by travelling before (10-24 November) or after (16 February-2 March) which can save you over $100 per night with rooms with average rooms costing $174.67 and $168.33, respectively. Prices are based on 2018-2019 bookings.
Wave Break Island Snorkel Tour on the Gold Coast
Learn to Surf at Coolangatta on the Gold Coast
Moreton Bay Marine Park Dolphin Cruise Including Lunch
Best time to visit the Gold Coast for...
- Theme parks: If you are looking for adventure at any of the five major theme parks in the Gold Coast, you should look at travelling during April to May. The rainfall is the lowest and temperatures are consistently comfortable.
- Beaches: The best time to visiting the Gold Coast’s many beaches is during April through to May since most children have gone back to school. The weather is mild but sunny and enjoyable with low rainfall.
- Surfing: Whether you are a hardcore surfer or a beginner looking for the best waves, January to July offers the best surfing conditions.
- Golf: As home to some of the most beautiful golf courses across Australia, the Gold Coast offers its best conditions to play during April to May when there is lower rainfall and consistent sunny weather.
- Water sports: If you are looking to participate in water sports, there is no better place than the Gold Coast. Travelling between April to May means you will have the best chance of sunny weather with fewer crowds and lower costs.
Latest Gold Coast travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|18 Jun 2019||Up to 50% off experiences + extra $40 off site-wide with code||SAV****|
|18 Jun 2019||Extra 10% off whale watching with code||FIN****|
|18 Jun 2019||Extra 10% off with code||FIN****|
|17 Jun 2019||Extra 15% off with code||FIN****|
|13 Jun 2019||Up to 50% off hotels + extra 10% off with code||FIN****|