When is the best time to travel to South America?
Top times to visit South America based on weather, price and crowds.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We’ve taken into consideration all the important factors when travelling abroad and put together this guide on the best times to visit South America.
Best time to travel to South America
As South America is such a vast continent, we’ve broken it down into the best times to visit some of its most popular destinations.
- Brazil: April to June and August to October. These are just outside of the major school holiday peak periods (July to August and December to January) as well as the hugely popular Rio Carnival (late February). These months also offer cooler weather as it is autumn and spring, respectively, during these times.
- Peru: May to September. This is Peru’s dry season and will afford you the most comfortable weather for outdoor pursuits such as the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu. Avoid December to March (summer) as these months are met with frequent showers.
- Argentina: Argentina is good to visit all year round. Winter (July and August) offers the coolest weather, however bear in mind that this is a peak tourist period as it coincides with the Northern Hemisphere’s school holidays. If you’re travelling south to Patagonia, the summer months of December to March are best as the weather is mild and pleasant at this time.
- Chile: Similar to Argentina, Chile is good to visit all year round. To avoid the crowds, travel during spring (September to November) and autumn (March to June).
- Galapagos Islands: Despite featuring wet and dry seasons, the Galapagos Islands are good to visit all year round as there’s always activity on the island whether it be penguins migrating, tortoises hatching, iguanas nesting or sea lions mating. For the best weather, travel between May and June and October and December.
Latest South America travel deals
Up to USD$1,100 OBC worldwide cruises with MSC Cruises
Available on select travel dates until 2022. Destinations include USA, France, Spain and more.
Up to GBP£150 off worldwide getaways
Available for travel from January - December 2022. Destinations include Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Croatia, South Africa, USA and more. T&Cs apply.
GBP£21 deposit on worldwide tours
Available on tours departing in less than 91 days after booking. Destinations include Croatia, Sicily, USA, Australia and more. T&Cs apply.
GBP£49 deposit on worldwide tours
Available on select 2021 tours. Destinations include Australia, USA, Costa Rica, Africa and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 75% off worldwide resort getaways
Available on stays until April 2022 on destinations including Greece, Hawaii, Koh Samui, South Korea, Barcelona and more.
Up to 50% off worldwide activities
Available on select travel dates until 2022 in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, USA, Paris, Japan and more. Activities include hop-on, hop-off bus tours, attraction passes, bike hires, sightseeing cruise and more.
Up to 50% off worldwide stays
Become a member and get up to 50% off hotels. Destinations include Australia, New Zealand, USA and more.
Up to 50% off worldwide flights
Available on select dates when you book Express Deals. Destination include Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 18% off worldwide tours
Available on select travel dates from 2021-2022. Destinations include Britain, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Morocco, USA, Croatia and more. T&Cs apply.
Extra $10 off worldwide hotels
Sign up your email address and receive discounts. Destinations include Las Vegas, London, New York, Toronto, Dubai and more. T&Cs apply.
Free nights with Best Western Rewards points
Earn points and redeem a free night on worldwide stays. Destinations include Canada, USA and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 5% extra savings on stays
Sign up your email and become an IHG member to enjoy discounts and earn points or stays worldwide including Australia. T&Cs apply.
Go Airport Shuttle
5% off airport transfers and car hire
Valid on select dates and destinations worldwide. Destinations include USA, Canada, Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean, Sydney, and the Czech Republic. T&C's apply.
Compare over 800 car hire companies worldwide
Rentalcars.com can help you compare major car hire company rates for the best price. Companies it compares include Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar and Budget. Destinations include Australia, New Zealand, Canada and more.
Up to $264 off worldwide tours
Available on select dates when you book 2 trips of 7 days or more. Destinations include Croatia, Iceland, Los Angeles, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 5% off tours and attractions tickets worldwide
Available in select cities in China, Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, South Korea, Macao, Dubai, Paris, Taipei and London.
5% off hotel bookings
Available on your first Trip.com pre-paid hotel booking. Discount available worldwide including in Australia, New Zealand, Bali, Thailand, Fiji, US, UK and more.
Worldwide volunteering programs from $2,310
Available on select dates. Programs include sea turtle and marine conservation, wild life research, volunteer with children, elephants and more. Sample price is for a volunteer on construction project in Nepal.
Up to 25% off worldwide stays
Enroll and save 25% with Marriott Bonvoy Escapes. As a member, you can experience these exclusive benefits.
Up to 50% off worldwide cruises
Available on select travel dates to Croatia, Greece, Egypt, London, Turkey, Italy, France and more.
Up to $350 off worldwide tours
Sign up your email to get extra savings on tours. T&Cs apply.
Earn a free night’s stay
Stay for 10 nights at any hotel worldwide to get a free night. Must be a Hotels.com Rewards members. Membership is free. T&Cs apply.
South America is a vast continent comprised of about a dozen different countries. Due the variation in altitude and latitude across the continent, the weather can differ greatly from place to place. For this reason, it’s best to determine which country or countries you’d like to visit before deciding which months are best to visit them in.
South America is a popular destination for travellers from other South American countries as well as from North America. Prices tend to spike during the school holiday periods in July, August and late-December to meet this demand, so it’s best not to travel during these months if you wish to avoid inflated prices and crowded tourist attractions.
Weather and prices
The best time to visit South America, weather-wise: While the best weather varies from place to place, generally it’s better to visit the northern countries of South America during winter (June to August) when the weather is pleasant and there is less rainfall. As the south features milder summers, it’s good to visit year round, however if you’re planning a trip to the southernmost area of Patagonia, it’s best to visit during the summer as autumn and winter tend to receive the most precipitation of the year.
The cheapest time to visit South America: Search for flight deals during the lower season months of spring and autumn.
The best time to visit South America for…
- Hiking and outdoor activities: Hiking is best done during the winter months of June, July and August. Winters are generally dry though bear in mind there may be snowfall in high altitudes.
- City sightseeing: City sightseeing is good all year round though is ideal during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn as the weather is still fine and the holidaymakers are few and far between.
- Beaches: Summer is the time to hit the beaches. If you wish to avoid the crowds on Copacabana Beach, steer clear of dates around Carnival as this is one of the city's most peak dates.
- Snow sports: Snowing is possible in Argentina and Chile. The season runs from July to August.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Bitcoin up 21%: Will El Salvador’s big news kick off a fresh bull run?
Bi-weekly gains of just under 9%.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert