Find the best time to visit the adventure capital, Queenstown, based on the activities and prices on your itinerary.
Queenstown is beautiful all year round with many activities available any time of the year. But for your ideal holiday, we’ve detailed the best times to visit.
Best time to go to Queenstown
December to February.
You can find most activities in Queenstown during the summer between December and February. You can avoid the peak tourist season by travelling at the beginning and end of summer to maximise the hot temperatures and the mix of activities. Avoid autumn, which is between March and May, due to its unpredictable weather.
Temperatures vary significantly throughout the year and in each season. The most unpredictable time of year is autumn where temperatures range from -3 to 26℃. Summer is the hottest time with temperatures of 2 to 29℃ while winter is ideal for snow sports with temperatures from -6 to 15℃.
You’ll find the best bang for your buck along with activities and good weather in spring where temperatures reach lows of -2 and highs of 24℃.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Queenstown, weather wise. Most activities are available in summer, so December to February is an ideal time to visit.
Cheapest time to visit Queenstown. Visit during spring, September to November, for smaller crowds but weather warm enough for outdoor activities.
Best time to visit Queenstown for...
- Snow and skiing. New Zealand’s winter,June to August, is the best time to catch a ride through the powder. But it’s best in September when the crowds are gone, the temperatures are slightly warmer and there’s still snow on the ground.
- Sightseeing. Visit during the spring months of September to November for blooming trees and warmer weather without the crowds and peak prices.
- Extreme sports. Extreme sports are available all year round but avoid autumn, March to May, since it features the most unpredictable weather.
- Wineries. Summer, December to February, is peak season for wine tastings, but wineries are open all year round so spring is also ideal and less crowded.
- Water sports. To avoid cool water, stick to the summer months of December to February.
- Outdoor activities. If you wish to avoid crowds, visit in spring (September to November) when the temperatures are comfortable and mild. If you crave the heat, then summer (December to February) is best.