What to expect
From cameras and fingerprint sensors integrated into the screen to 5G network support, the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S10 line looks set to significantly disrupt the status quo in the smartphone space.
After playing it relatively safe with the Galaxy S9, Samsung seems to be swinging for the fences with the groundbreaking design of the Galaxy S10.
Alongside Apple, Samsung is arguably the biggest name in the smartphone business. Its Galaxy S handsets go toe-to-toe with the latest iPhones, outperforming practically all other Android smartphones in terms of both popularity and features.
Like Apple, Samsung iterates on its Galaxy S line each and every year. Sleeker designs, improved performance and even-steeper price tags are typically the order of the day, but for the Galaxy S10 line, Samsung appears to have loftier ambitions in mind.
- More screen space thanks to an under-screen fingerprint sensor and front-facing camera.
- New cheaper model will not feature an Infinity display.
- Triple-array camera for the S10+.
- 3D camera for facial recognition.
- Snapdragon 855 or Exynos 9820 promises enhanced performance in AI tasks.
- 5G connectivity may be an option.
- No details yet, but 3,000mAh to 4,000mAh seems likely.
- Wireless charging all but certain, but how fast?.
- Exciting features and a broader range of handsets bode very well for the Samsung Galaxy S10.
Pricing and availability
- The Samsung Galaxy S10 could debut as early as CES 2019, and certainly by MWC 2019.
- Pricing will likely hover around $1,000 for the new cheaper model, $1,200+ for the standard Galaxy S10 and $1,500+ for the Samsung Galaxy S10+.
So when will we see the Samsung Galaxy S10 debut? It's something of an open question, thanks largely to Samsung's reveal of its foldable phone prototypes at its Samsung Developer conference.
Foldable phones are likely to be a hot item in 2019, but that creates a problem for Samsung with its more regular Galaxy S10. Some rumours suggest that this may lead Samsung to speed the Galaxy S10 to market by announcing it at CES 2019, rather than its more traditional launch window around Mobile World Congress.
Releasing the Galaxy S10 at CES would free Samsung up to show off, if not launch its foldable Galaxy X/F phone at MWC, or possibly later in the year.Back to top
Samsung Galaxy S10 specifications
- Product name
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Display size
- 5.8 inches/6.2 inches
- Snapdragon 855 (or Exynos equivalent)
- 128GB+ expected
- Operating system
- Android 9
- Front camera
- 16MP + 8MP
- Rear camera
- 16MP + 12MP + 12MP
- $1,000 – $1,500+
Latest Samsung news
Everything you need to know about wireless charging and the phones that support this super-convenient way to keep the power flowing to your handset. Read more…
Here's what you need to know about the foldable phone plans of Samsung, Huawei, LG, Apple and more as we move into the next era of mobile phones. Read more…
There's still no confirmation on exact naming, pricing or precise specifications, but Samsung has finally started showing off its foldable phone of the future. Read more…