Samsung Galaxy Note9 review: Plans | Pricing | Specs
The Galaxy Note9 is the next evolution of Samsung’s smartphone vision, but its high price could turn you away.
- Impressive battery life
- Bluetooth Stylus works well
- Up to 1TB of storage with microSD
- DeX is super-simple now and works well
- The premium price will make it unachievable for many
- Rear fingerprint scanner is still awkward
- Bixby still can’t compete with other assistants
12MP + 12MP
Finder rated as Excellent vs similar phones
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Power, storage and battery
|Launch price (RRP)||$1,499|
Samsung’s second flagship smartphone release for the year, the Galaxy Note9, is the biggest phone the company has ever released. It has the biggest screen on a Galaxy smartphone, the biggest battery in a Samsung phone and the biggest internal storage capacity option the company has ever offered.
All that size has to come at a price though, so it’s no surprise that the Note9 also has the highest price we've seen from a Samsung device, with the 512GB variant selling for $1,799 at launch, a price tag you might associate with a decent quality full-size laptop.
The good news is there’s a lot of justification for that price tag in terms of performance and features. The biggest question you'll face when considering the Note9 is whether the features Samsung is using to differentiate the Note9 from its other flagship, the Galaxy S9+, are worth it for your needs.
- Stunning 6.4-inch display.
- Bright yellow S-Pen on Blue variant not for everybody.
- Heavy for a smartphone, but sleek.
- AI shooting modes work, with variable impact.
- Default camera otherwise identical to S9 Plus.
- AR Emoji is still dumb.
- Similar performance to the Galaxy S9.
- Up to 1TB of storage is epic.
- DeX is massively improved.
- Low-energy Bluetooth gives remote control of your phone.
- Fully charges in 40 seconds.
- Biggest battery Samsung has ever put in a phone.
- Top-shelf battery life.
- Most tested battery ever.
- A seriously impressive device.
- For the price, the Galaxy S9+ may be better value, depending on your needs.
Pricing and availability
Compare Samsung Galaxy Note9 plans
Power, storage and battery
Latest Samsung Galaxy Note9 news
Amazon Prime Day's best phone deals include 24% off Samsung's Galaxy Note20, the Nokia 800 Tough 4G for under $150, cheap iPhone accessories and more.Read more…
This week Google made two new smartphones available for pre-order: the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 4a with 5G. Here are the key features you need to know about.Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE is the cheapest phone in the S20 range at $999. Here's how to get it cheaper.Read more…