The Galaxy Note9 is the next evolution of Samsung’s smartphone vision, but its high price could turn you away.
- Impressive battery life
- Bluetooth Stylus works well
- Up to 1TB of storage with microSD
- DeX is super-simple now and works well
- The premium price will make it unachievable for many
- Rear fingerprint scanner is still awkward
- Bixby still can’t compete with other assistants
Samsung has given a shiny coat of polish and some exceptional business functions to the Note9, but the differences between the Galaxy Note and Galaxy S Plus devices are getting less and less noticeable every year.
Samsung’s second flagship smartphone release for the year, the Galaxy Note9, is the biggest phone the company has ever released. It has the biggest screen on a Galaxy smartphone, the biggest battery in a Samsung phone and the biggest internal storage capacity option the company has ever offered.
All that size has to come at a price though, so it’s no surprise that the Note9 also has the highest price we've seen from a Samsung device, with the 512GB variant selling for $1,799 at launch, a price tag you might associate with a decent quality full-size laptop.
The good news is there’s a lot of justification for that price tag in terms of performance and features. The biggest question you'll face when considering the Note9 is whether the features Samsung is using to differentiate the Note9 from its other flagship, the Galaxy S9+, are worth it for your needs.
- Stunning 6.4-inch display.
- Bright yellow S-Pen on Blue variant not for everybody.
- Heavy for a smartphone, but sleek.
- AI shooting modes work, with variable impact.
- Default camera otherwise identical to S9 Plus.
- AR Emoji is still dumb.
- Similar performance to the Galaxy S9.
- Up to 1TB of storage is epic.
- DeX is massively improved.
- Low-energy Bluetooth gives remote control of your phone.
- Fully charges in 40 seconds.
- Biggest battery Samsung has ever put in a phone.
- Top-shelf battery life.
- Most tested battery ever.
- A seriously impressive device.
- For the price, the Galaxy S9+ may be better value, depending on your needs.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy Note9
Samsung's productivity phone returns
The Samsung Galaxy Note9 features exceptional performance, top-notch battery life and the exclusive features of Samsung's S-Pen in a phone like no other.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note9 sells through Samsung and selected retailers. For the best deal, you'll want to compare prices on the Galaxy Note9 from all Aussie retailers.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note9 is also available on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
Samsung Galaxy Note9 specs
|Display size (inches)||6.4|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2960 x 1440|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||516|
|Battery size (mAh)||4,000|
|RAM||6GB / 8GB|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.5|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (2) aperture||f/2.4|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 18|
Compare Samsung Galaxy Note9 plans
Latest Samsung Galaxy Note9 news
The Galaxy S10e is the cheapest of Samsung's 2019 Galaxy S10 class -- and it just might be the best buy of the lot. Read more…
From a triple-camera array and a fingerprint sensor integrated into the screen, the Samsung Galaxy S10 is set to significantly disrupt the status quo in the smartphone space. Read more…
The first of the 5G phones will be here before the end of the month. Read more…