With a quad-core processor, a 13MP camera and all the features of Android 7.0, the Kogan Agora 8 seeks to redefine what a budget smartphone is capable of.
Kogan began operating in 2006 and has grown considerably since its early days as a small online retailer selling LCD TVs. Today it offers a broad range of products, having launched NBN services under the Kogan Internet brand in April 2018, and having partnered with the Hollard Insurance Company in mid-2017 to launch a Kogan Home insurance product. As part of this growth, the Australian brand now markets its own range of affordably-priced smartphones under the Kogan Agora label.
A relatively recent addition to its handset line-up is the Kogan Agora 8, which hit the market in June 2017. It launched at just $199 and aimed to deliver high-end performance sans the premium price tag associated with your average flagship handset. While that might be more marketing copy than objective fact, the handset is quite a capable device that represents impressive value for money. If you don't need a top-of-the-line smartphone but still want a handset with all the modern conveniences, the Kogan Agora 8 warrants your consideration.
- Dragontrail glass protection on the 5-inch IPS screen is a welcome surprise.
- No shortage of features thanks to Android 7.0.
- A 13MP rear camera and 5MP front camera place the Agora 8 ahead of most budget smartphones.
- Quad-core 1.3GHz processor and 2GB of RAM is a solid pairing for a budget smartphone.
- Should be powerful enough to handle average smartphone use.
- The 2,400mAh battery is par for the course for a budget smartphone.
- It should still deliver all-day battery life under typical use.
Pricing and availability
Kogan Agora 8
A mid-range smartphone in budget clothing
The Kogan Agora 8 challenges the expectations of a budget smartphone, delivering performance and features typically reserved for more expensive handsets.
- The Kogan Agora 8 is available directly from Kogan for $199.
Kogan Agora 8 specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5 inches|
|Resolution||720 x 1280|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||294|
|Rear camera megapixels||13MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||N/A|
|Front camera megapixels||5MP|
|Front camera aperture size||N/A|
|Dimensions||144mm x 70.9mm x 9.5mm|
|Network category speed||N/A|
|Operating system||Android 7|
|External storage support||Up to 128GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Kogan Agora 8
Latest Kogan phone news
The Kogan Agora XS is Kogan's latest highly affordable handset and is pitched at those who need a smartphone on a budget. Read more…
The naming is rather Apple, but the hardware underneath on the Kogan Agora XS is a little less exciting. Read more…
Score 17GB of data to use every 30 days for 3 months with Kogan Mobile's latest deal. Read more…