What is glass skin?
The tips and tricks you need to know to achieve glass skin.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You've heard of the glass hair trend, the one that inspired many celebrity hair styles on red carpets everywhere. But have you heard of glass skin? This famed Korean beauty trend is making waves and for a reason. Get ready, you're about to be obsessed.
The glass skin trend has existed within the Korean beauty industry for years. The Korean cultural ideal of beauty is all about clear, hydrated, even and pore-free skin. The skin is supposed to look so clear that it's almost translucent - a bit like glass.
The trend has caused a stir on social media and frankly, we love this trend.
Image Source: Pinterest
What is glass skin?
Similar to dewy skin, this trend is one that mimics a glow from within. Glass skin is completely smooth, totally clear and without a pore in sight. But the real difference between just clear skin and glass skin is hydration. Glass skin is so plump and hydrated that is has a natural luminescent glow that is actually rather hard to achieve.
Achieving glass skin doesn't just happen overnight - it takes work. It starts with a great skincare routine and ends with a careful application of your makeup. Most importantly, you have to use good quality products (no shortcuts, sorry!) that focus on plumping and hydrating.
The ultimate goal is to have a base that is dewy, pore-less and as soft as a baby's bottom. The skin needs to appear translucent, like a piece of glass.
Glass skin inspiration
Images Source: Instagram
How to get glass skin
To achieve the glass skin of your dreams, we're here to help. It definitely takes some work but the results are worth it.
First thing to keep in mind is it starts with a complete skincare routine. It needs to be thorough and appropriate for your skin type.
- Cleanse your skin properly, morning and night. Beauty experts recommend double cleansing if you really want to achieve a clear complexion. We recommend using an oil-based cleanser first as this will help to prevent your skin from drying out.
- Use a toner that hydrates, rather than one that's alcohol-based and will strip your skin of its natural oils.
- Invest in a serum formulated for your skin type. Whichever you decide to use, you want to make sure it helps create a flawless base. It also should focus on adding moisture to your skin.
- Exfoliate frequently to rid your complexion of any bumps or unwanted texture. It's normally recommended to do so once or twice a week, but you can do it more often if you use a gentle exfoliator. This is a key step in brightening as it helps to get rid of dead skin cells and reveals a new layer of skin.
- The secret trick? Apply many light layers of hydrating products. Whether it be a sheet mask or a face mist, utilising the layering technique has really worked for people to achieve glass skin. Ensure the products are of high quality, which doesn't mean you have to break the bank. Look out for nourishing ingredients that focus on bringing moisture to the skin.
- Use ingredients infused with hyaluronic acid. The compound is designed to lock in moisture and create a barrier between your skin and the harmful toxins of the world. Hyaluronic acid helps you to achieve glass skin as the face is noticeably more plump and instantly looks more youthful.
Your skincare routine needs to be consistent which means you should never not do it, no matter how tired, lazy or intoxicated you may be.
One of the most important steps? Drink more water. It truly is essential to attaining smooth, clear skin. This can drastically change the appearance of your skin and we recommend making it a priority for overall health and wellbeing.
Can I achieve glass skin with just makeup?
Not really. The ultra-dewy, plumped up look of glass skin is something that's really hard to achieve with makeup alone.
Taking care of your skin before applying makeup is crucial. But once you have the base covered, makeup can certainly play a part in achieving this look. Perfecting a dewy makeup application and using the right products is key. Invest in a hydrating foundation, cream highlighters and light setting powders - these will help you achieve the appearance of glass skin.
Products to help you get glass skin
CAUDALIE Make-Up Removing Cleansing Oil
KIEHL'S Ultra Facial Cleanser - For All Skin Types
FRESH Black Tea Kombucha Facial Treatment Essence
PIXI Glow Tonic
ESTEE LAUDER Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II
SU-MAN SKINCARE Refining Facial Polish
The Water Cream
THE ESSENCE Plumping Skin Softener
DR.JART+ Mask Water Jet Vital Hydra Solution
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
MAC MAC Lightful C + Coral Grass Softening Lotion Spray 100mlLightful C + Coral Grass Softening Lotion Spra
Eaoron Hyaluronic Acid Collagen Hydrating Face Mask
Where to buy the products you need to achieve glass skin
We recommend looking at these retailers to browse the skincare section and find products to help you nail the glass skin trend.
- 10 knitwear trends we’re rocking this winter
- THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
- Rowi Singh x Mountain and Moon: How this iconic jewellery collection came to life
- PSA: Skinny jeans are officially out, so here are 20+ other jeans under $100
- David Jones sale: 30% off designer brands + top 5 picks
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Ask an Expert