Samsung's first Galaxy A smartphone for 2018 combines an infinity display with dual front-mounted cameras for the selfie-obsessed.
Samsung always makes headlines when it releases Galaxy S or Galaxy Note phones, such as the Samsung Galaxy S9 released in March 2018 and the Galaxy Note9 released in August 2018). However, these aren't the only Samsung handsets that carry the Galaxy badge.
For some years Samsung has produced Galaxy A series handsets that have a focus on mid-range performance and pricing, typically building on many of the features of the previous year's Galaxy S phones.
The 2018 iteration of the Samsung Galaxy A8 is in many ways a slightly refined version of the generally excellent Samsung Galaxy S8. There's also a larger version, the Samsung Galaxy A8+, which is basically the equivalent of the Samsung Galaxy S8+.
- Features the same "infinity display" technology as the Samsung Galaxy S8.
- IP68 rating provides robust protection against the elements.
- Dual 16MP front-facing sensors provide more flexibility than a typical selfie camera.
- A larger rear-facing sensor promises better low-light performance.
- Solid specs should ensure respectable performance in most tasks.
- Multi-taskers will appreciate the 4GB of RAM.
- All-day battery life should be eminently viable thanks to the 3,000mAh battery.
- USB-C fast charging keeps downtime to a minimum.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy A8
By streamlining the best aspects of the Galaxy S8, Samsung has assured the Galaxy A8 offers impressive performance and features at an attractive price.
- The Galaxy A8 retails for $649 if you buy directly through Samsung, though you can save a decent chunk of cash by shopping around.
- Optus and Vodafone offer the Galaxy A8 on contract, if you prefer paying in installments.
|Display size (inches)||5.6|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2220 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||441|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||16|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.9|
|Front camera (2) resolution||8|
|Front camera (2) aperture||f/1.9|
|Network category speed||Category 11|
Latest Samsung phone news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
We help you find the best Telstra phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best phones you can buy right now in Australia. Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy S10+ has a great camera and good performance, but its battery stamina is a notable weak point. Read more…