The Galaxy S9 seems like a perfectly fine phone that looks to fix many of the niggling complaints that surrounded the Galaxy S8, while also increasing performance and camera quality. That's a fine improvement, although it is rather hard not to think that the Galaxy S9+ might be the smarter buy, especially if you're purchasing outright.
- Camera app works well
- Oreo onboard
- I can find the fingerprint sensor!
- Cool colour options
- Will AR Emojis wear out their welcome?
- Bixby button is still a thing
- Looks just like the S8
- The S9+ is better
How well does the smallest member of the Galaxy S9 family really compare?
That's nowhere near enough time for a full review, which will come through shortly, but certainly enough time to get a feel for where Samsung is going with its new premium flagships. While the Galaxy S9+ will get most of the attention thanks to its dual camera system, does that leave the Galaxy S9 as the less attractive option?
- Camera looks to be a strong contender in the premium space.
- Android Oreo provides plenty of new features and performance improvements.
- A little too similar to the Galaxy S8.
- The Galaxy S9+ represents better value for money.
- An incremental improvement on the Galaxy S8 that doesn't reinvent the wheel.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy S9
The Galaxy line continues to evolve
A faster processor and a new operating system makes the Samsung Galaxy S9 a worthy successor to the S8. Available for purchase right now!
- Samsung sells the Galaxy S9 outright for $1199 with 64GB of onboard storage, but you can find it cheaper by comparing prices on the Samsung Galaxy S9 from Australian retailers.
- Contract options are also available from Telstra, Vodafone and Optus.
|Display size (inches)||5.8|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2960 x 1440|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||570|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.5-f/2.4|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 18|
Latest Samsung Galaxy news
Samsung isn't waiting for its Galaxy Unpacked launch to start announcing new tablets. Read more…
Samsung's biggest and best handset for the first half of 2019 will clearly be the Samsung Galaxy S10+. Here's what we know about its latest flagship. Read more…
Samsung's lower-cost Galaxy S10e looks to provide most of the premium features you'd expect of a Galaxy S phone, but naturally enough at a budget price. Read more…