Pokémon GO update makes Gym battles a whole lot easier
Because walking around is for chumps.
A new update has hit Pokémon GO, bringing with it a much-appreciated change to the Gym battle system. Previously, if you wanted to leave your Pokémon at a Gym, you needed to make regular trips to that Gym in person in order to feed your Pokémon Berries. Berries keep a Pokémon's Motivation stat from dropping, which in turn keeps them from abandoning the Gym they're supposed to be defending.
However, with the latest update, you can now feed your Pokémon Berries without getting off the couch. Navigating to the Pokémon info screen will let you send Berries remotely, though your Pokémon won't regain quite as much Motivation as if you hike out to the Gym in person.
Along with the Gym update, developer Niantic has made a bunch of smaller improvements to Pokémon GO, which you can read in the patch notes below:
- Added icons to the Pokémon information screen to indicate how the Pokémon was caught.
- Added the ability for Trainers to spin the Photo Disc at a Gym after completing a Raid Battle.
- Added the ability for Trainers to send Berries to their Pokémon defending Gyms through the Pokémon info screen when they are not nearby. Motivation regained will be less effective through this method.
- Added the ability for Trainers to give Berries to Pokémon defending Gyms if their motivation meter is full.
- Improved Pokémon Collection screen search functionality.
- Fixed an issue where Trainers were unable to complete Raid Battles started before time expired on the map view.
- Fixed an issue where Pokémon are not properly returned to their Trainer after defending a Gym.
- Various bug fixes.
It's good to see Niantic continuing to support Pokémon GO. It's just too bad Nintendo's own mobile apps aren't doing so well lately.