As the potential opening up of international borders draws nearer, lots of airlines are starting to add more flights and discount tickets to draw in more travellers. But if you're stuck between the decision of getting a bargain on a flight or holding off until there's a green light on overseas travel, consider booking a flight with these airlines.
Each of these offer flexible booking options that can let you reschedule or cancel your newly booked flight.
For information on waived change-of-date fees, check out our full guide here.
- For new and future bookings: Make changes to your booking up to three days prior to the departure date on travel up to 30 September 2020. Changes are free of charge.
- Flight credits are valid for one year from the date of issue.
- For future/new bookings made after 30 June 2020: If you are departing after this point, changes can be made by simply managing your booking through the website.
- New and future bookings: American Airlines is waiving change fees for passengers who book airfares from now until 15 April 2020.
- This offer is available for any published non-refundable airfares and customers won't be charged a fee prior to travel.
- New and future bookings: For any new bookings made up until 31 March 2020, Air Canada is offering free flight adjustments if the health situation changes.
- Change fees being waived covers travel up until 31 March 2021 and non-refundable fares will be given a future travel credit note.
- New and future bookings: Customers can make changes up to four hours before the scheduled flight and for travel up to 31 March 2021.
- Passengers will also be able to re-route to another destination on the Scoot network up until 31 August 2020.
- Virgin Australia offers flexi fares which have no fee for cancellations prior to scheduled departures.
- If you have plans to fly with Virgin Australia this year, these airfares are the best option in case of last-minute changes.
- For all new and future bookings: Jetstar is offering cancellations and credit notes on all new and existing flight bookings between 15 March and 31 May 2020.
Air New Zealand
- Air New Zealand has the option of purchasing a Flexidate ticket. If you intend to travel with the airline at any point then these fares ensure you can be fully refunded up until the day of departure.
- Flexidate fares are one-way and can be combined with other selected flights.
- For new bookings a MultiFLEX fare offers no date change fees in circumstances where you can no longer fly.
- Changing your fares is as simple as heading online and managing your booking. MultiFLEX fares can only be added to selected fares.
- Skiddoo offers flexible ticketing which allows you to rebook a ticket without the extra fees.
- Can be used in conjunction with one booking only.
- For customers wishing to fly with Qantas in the future, there is no new booking flexibility as of yet but:
- For flights that have not been cancelled: Airfares (international or domestic) taking off up until 31 July 2020 can be cancelled and will have the value of the fares returned as a credit note to the airline. Cancellation request must be made before 30 April and new travel must be complete by 31 December 2021.
- Hawaiian Airlines is yet to offer flexibility for new bookings but for current bookings:
- Bookings bought between March and May 2020: Change fees have been waived for any changes made within one year of the initial purchase of the flights.
- Bookings bought before 1 March 2020 for travel between March and May 2020 also have had the change fees waived for new bookings up to (or on) 31 December 2020.
- Emirates does not currently offer flexibility for new bookings, but existing bookings can be issued a travel voucher before 30 June 2020.
- Credit notes are valid for 12 months from the issue date and can be used on flights or Emirates services.
- Fiji Airways does not currently offer flexibility for new bookings, but existing bookings are able to:
- Receive flight credits that are held by Fiji Airways and passengers can rebook a flight up to a year from the initial purchase date.
- With cancellations in place until the end of May 2020, passengers will be able to gain a credit and change fees have been waived for new bookings. Eligibility for travel credits applies for bookings made up until 30 June 2020.
- AirAsia does not offer flexibility for new bookings as of yet, but for existing bookings:
- Customers who have had flights impacted have until 31 October 2020 to receive 365 days of credit from the value of the booking. Applies for bookings made before before 23 March 2020.
- Passengers can also make the most of free unlimited date changes.
Summary of which airlines offer new bookings:
|Airline or agency||Does it offer new booking flexibility?|
|Virgin Australia||Yes (flexi fares)|
|Jetstar||Yes (flexi fares)|
|Air New Zealand||Yes (flexi fares)|
|STA Travel||Yes (flexi fares)|
|Skiddoo||Yes (flexi fares)|
Looking for ways to save cash?
Save money on your daily expenses and spend it on your upcoming getaway. There's plenty of little changes that you can make to save some extra cash.
Find out how to save money on your credit card and change up your insurance to see if you can get a better premium. Here are some guides on how to save money.