Cheap flights to Cuba to book in 2021
Compare prices, learn the best time to book and get deals to Havana, Varadero and other flights to Cuba.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you haven't been to Cuba yet, there are plenty of reasons to tick it off your bucket list. For example, consuming the world's best rum and cocktails as you soak up the unique Caribbean culture. Or, strolling the streets of the capital Havana while admiring colonial architecture and vintage cars. Then let's not forget about those beaches.
Located in the Caribbean, just south of Florida, this island nation's big tourist cities are Havana, Varadero, Trinidad and Old Havana. While there are several airports, internationally you'll likely fly into José Martí International Airport in Havana.
Today's available deals on flights to Cuba
Sorry, we don't have any more deals to Cuba right now.
How much are flights to Cuba?
According to Skyscanner, the average price an Aussie flying from Sydney pays to get to Havana (José Martí International Airport) and back is almost $2,500. If you cut a good deal you can get this down to $2,265 return.
When is the cheapest time to fly to Cuba?
February is the cheapest time to fly to Cuba, which is also one of the best times to travel to the country. That's because between December and May it's dry season, which tends to come with sunny skies and dry weather. The time to avoid is August to September as it's rainy and hurricane season.
What is the the cheapest day of the week to fly to Cuba?
Tuesday and Thursday flights are often the cheapest. This is because mid-week flights are less desired than weekend flights as it means you'll have to break up your week and take more time off work. If you must travel over the weekend, aim for a Saturday flight to save compared to Friday or Sunday flights.
How far in advance should I book my flight to Cuba?
A flight to Cuba isn't one that tends to be on the fly. Weeks of research tend to follow and if you want to score that discounted fare booking 5 weeks could do the trick. If you miss this cut-off don't despair as fares tend to remain low up until one-week from departure.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to fly to Cuba from Australia?
- Sydney: Approximately 28 hrs + with two stopovers, landing at José Martí International Airport
- Melbourne: Approximately 28 hrs + with two stopovers, landing at José Martí International Airport
- Brisbane: Approximately 30 hrs + with two stopovers, landing at José Martí International Airport
- Perth: Approximately 36 hrs + with three stopovers, landing at José Martí International Airport
Which airlines fly to Cuba?
Which is the best airline to fly to Cuba?
Of all the airlines that fly to Cuba from Australia, Qantas has the best reputation being one of the best airlines in the world, according to Skytrax. If you're a frequent flyer member you can also earn points and status credits for your journey. In the end though you're most likely going to fly on a mix of airlines, for example flying from Sydney to Vancouver on Virgin Australia and then from Vancouver to Toronto to Havana on Air Canada.
Where is the airport in Cuba?
José Martí International Airport is approximately 16km south of Havana city. By car, this is a 25 minute drive. Once you get to the airport you have a few transport options to get around:
- Airport transfers: Most international flights to Cuba land in Havana's José Martí International Airport (HAV). If you have airport transfers included in your tour or accommodation package, a representative will be waiting as you exit the terminal.
- Taxis: Take a registered taxi from the airport and you should be in the centre of Havana in around 30 minutes. Agree on a price before getting in a taxi because many drivers don't use a meter. If you're not headed to Havana, you can take a taxi to the Viazul bus terminal (15 kilometres from the airport). From there, Viazul buses serve the entire country. You can purchase bus tickets at the airport or on the Viazul website.
- Bus: Local buses serve the domestic terminal however, they are primarily for locals as they only accept Cuban National Pesos (CUP). Smartraveller's advice is to avoid public transport as vehicles are poorly maintained. Smartraveller says travellers should only take out CUC (Convertible Pesos) so this makes public transfer even more difficult for tourists to use
- Car hire: Car rental agencies are located at all terminals. To avoid disappointment we recommend booking far in advance.
This option suits confident and experienced drivers as Cuban roads and traffic rules are much less structured than Australia's. There are little to no road signs or road markings. Speed limits exist but are rarely adhered too.
Night driving is discouraged because of poorly lit roads and drunk drivers. It's also important to know that police frequently the streets and there are speed traps to catch you out.
You don't need to purchase an International Driver's Permit to drive in Cuba, just remember to bring your Australian licence.
- Mopeds and three-wheel taxi services: Moped and three-wheel taxi services are considered dangerous and therefore are not be relied on.
Do I need a visa to travel to Cuba on an Australian passport?
Yes. To enter Cuba, Australians must obtain a visa known as a tourist card either through a travel agent or the Cuban Embassy. The airline you fly should provide you with advice about flying to Cuba.
Am I required to book onward or return flights to Cuba?
While there's no spoken rule, border security in Cuba can ask for proof of your return ticket home. It's better to have this organised and on hand to avoid being denied entry into the country. What Australian travellers are required to hold is travel insurance for Cuba. You'll be asked for proof before being allowed to enter the country.
More guides on Finder
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
Bendigo hotels | Where to stay in the Ceramic Centre of Victoria
Compare Bendigo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
CheapOair Black Friday deals in 2021
Score cheap flights locally and internationally with CheapOair's Black Friday deals.
Airlie Beach accommodation | Where to stay on the Whitsunday Coast
Compare Airlie Beach hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Phillip Island accommodation | Where to stay in on the Victorian island
Compare Phillip Island hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Cheap flights to Christchurch (CHC) you can book in 2021
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
Cheap flights to Queensland you can book in 2021
Secure flights to Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Townsville and more with this guide to finding cheap flights to Queensland.
Valentine’s Day travel deals for the ultimate date
Forgot to get something for your other half? These deals will save your bacon.
Best Montreal Hotels to book in 2021
Find great deals on hotels around the Montreal area that suit your way of travelling.
Cheap Lord Howe Island (LDH) flights for 2021
Find all of the flight and transportation information you need for your upcoming trip to Lord Howe Island.