Where to buy Australian made mattresses
Sleep easy knowing your mattress is made in the green and gold.
Australia makes more than its fair share of mattresses, so you can be well supported in bed while supporting the local economy.
From well-established names like Sealy to bed-in-a-box budget buys like Koala, there's a wide selection of top-rated mattresses to suit your needs and preferences.
Looking for a new mattress? We know a place or two that sell Australian made spring and foam mattresses at affordable prices. And if you're a little stuck on how to choose one, check out our guide for everything you need to consider to have the perfect night's sleep.
Where to buy Australian made mattresses online
Australian made brands stocked: Koala
Australian made brands stocked: Sommuto
Australian made brands stocked: Select-O-Pedic Bedding (Whitehaven), Sealy
Australian made brands stocked: Hugo Sleep
Australian made brands stocked: Comfort Sleep, Domino by A.H. Beard, King Koil by A.H. Beard, Sealy
Australian made brands stocked: Brosa
Australian made brands stocked: Sealy, King Koil, Sleepmaker
Australian made brands stocked: Varies
Australian made brands stocked: Sealy, Sleepmaker
- Free shipping over $50
- No free returns
- Change of mind returns within 60 days
- Finance your order with Afterpay, Direct
Australian made brands stocked: Sealy
- No free shipping
- No free returns
- Change of mind returns within 30 days
- Finance your order with Direct, Zip Money
Australian made brands stocked: Sealy, SleepTailor
What other stores sell Australian made mattresses?
- The Mattress Company
- Adriatic Slumber
- Latex Mattress Australia
- Furniture One
- Sleeping Giant
- Forty Winks
- Harvey Norman
- Bev Marks
Does your company belong in this list?
Made in Australia mattress brands
|Brand||About the brand||Where to buy|
|Koala||One of the forerunners of the cheap mattress revolution, Koala sells foam mattresses in a box at affordable prices. Since its infancy as a mattress manufacturer it has expanded to design and produce sofas, sofa beds, bed bases and pillows.|
|Sommuto||This bed-in-a-box company designs and makes premium, yet affordable, mattresses in Australia. It also sells washable memory foam pillows.|
|Select-O-Pedic (Whitehaven)||This Australian Made licensee began crafting mattresses in Huntingdale in 1983. It's now one of the largest manufacturers of bedding in Australia.|
|Hugo Sleep||Bred in Australia out of the need to provide a comfortable and supportive mattress, Hugo Sleep stocks one thing only: a Hugo Sleep mattress. It's a bed-in-the-box mattress made in five sizes (single, king single, double, queen, king).|
|Sealy of Australia||Sealy's Australian arm manufactures its mattresses on Australian soil. It's Australian made brands include Sealy Optimum, Sealy PosturePremier, Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid, Sealy Posturepedic Exquisite, Sealy Singles and Sealy Posturepedic Elevate. All are Australian Made licensees.|
|Comfort Sleep||Supplying mattresses to Crown, Juptiters, The Treasury Casino Hotel and The Star, Comfort Sleep has a range of luxury and budget-friendly mattresses made in Australia. Materials are sourced here and are made to the highest industry standards.|
|Domino by A.H. Beard||Owned by A.H. Beard which makes mattresses, beds, bases and pillows, Domino beds are the official mattress partner of the Australian Institute of Sport. They're aimed at providing support and pressure relief. A.H. Beard mattresses are the only mattresses approved by the Asthma Council of Australia as they provide long-term protection against dust mites and allergens.|
|King Koil by A.H. Beard||Owned by A.H. Beard which makes mattresses, beds, bases and pillows, King Koil beds specialise in spinal support. They are approved by the International Chiropractors Association and all mattresses are made in Australia or New Zealand.|
|Brosa||This furniture designer, manufacturer and store has studios in Sydney and Melbourne. All of its mattresses are made in Australia. However, some of its other pieces are crafted in China.|
|SleepMaker||With over 80 years experience manufacturing beds, SleepMaker is an expert in mattress making. Its products use Australian made springs and foams. It's an official Australian Made licensee.|
|SleepTailor||Exclusive to Snooze, SleepTailor mattresses are made to order and customised to your personal preferences. It uses international materials such as Belgian gel infused latex and a Dutch stretch knitted sleep surface but the mattresses themselves are manufactured in Australia.|
How can you tell if a mattress is Australian made?
The major players in the mattress space that are made in Australia are official Australian Made licensees. That means they've applied for and been approved to bear the Australian Made triangle logo. This guarantees that they are definitely manufactured in Australia.
Other products might still be made in Australia but just haven't applied for this license. In this case, it's worth having a look on the product's page to see if there is any reference to it being made in Australia or to its country of origin.
You may also find in your endeavours that some mattresses use Australian made products but are assembled outside of Australia. Or vice-versa. Again, you should be able to find this information on the product's or brand's websites. Otherwise, you can contact the company directly for confirmation of the mattresses' origins.
Why buy Australian made mattresses?
The benefits of buying Australian made mattresses are wide and many. Here's a snapshot of the points for buying locally:
- Support Australian makers. By buying Australian you're plugging money back into our local economy, making sure homegrown companies thrive and keeping Aussies employed.
- Mattresses often use local materials. Foams and springs are materials that can and are made in Australia. Again, this keeps Australians employed and it also means that more of your mattress was made in Australia.
- Made for an Australian environment. Mattresses designed for Australians in mind consider a variety of local aspects, including our humidity. For example, Koala uses an open-cell structure which provides airflow and dissipates heat to keep you cool during our summers.
- Quality technology. Australia is pretty good on the invention front and our mattresses are no different. We tend to use state-of-the-art technology with a health focus in mind to create mattresses that support posture and are well regarded in the industry. For example, A.H. Beard mattresses are trusted by athletes for spinal support and pressure relief.
- Faster custom-made mattresses. By buying local, you'll skip the back and forth customisation with overseas manufacturers and the long wait while your mattress is shipped to Australia.
- Faster shipping and returns. No need to wait for your mattress to arrive from overseas. If the product is in Australia already, naturally it will take less time to get to you.
- Smaller carbon footprint. If your materials and assembled mattress have a shorter physical journey to get to you, in general this reduces its carbon emissions making it a greener product than something made and delivered from overseas.
Are Australian made mattresses more expensive?
The short answer is no. Like most products, there are high-end and low-end mattresses on the market, both of which are made in Australia and overseas.
But like most products, those on the lower end are made from cheap material while those on the higher end are made of quality materials and often incorporate technology that supports you in bed for a good night's sleep.
This isn't to say you can't get good quality for a good price. Thanks to the emergence of the mattress-in-a-box, brands like Sleeping Duck, Koala and Ecosa sell foam-based mattresses that use high quality materials yet retail for under $1,000. They keep costs down by not having showrooms and salespeople.
Not all of these are made in Australia, though Koala mattresses are.
Which of these stores sell Australian made mattresses in a box?
Which of these stores also sell Australian made mattress toppers?
Ask an Expert