Splatoon 2 is selling seven times faster than the original Splatoon
The turf-war shooter accounts for one in every three Switch games purchased in Japan.
It seems Nintendo made the right move in bringing Splatoon back for a second splat on the Nintendo Switch. According to numbers collected by the Game Data Library, Splatoon 2 has sold over one million copies in Japan alone, accounting for one in every three Switch games sold in the country.
This impressive pace has seen Splatoon 2 sell the same amount of copies in one month as the original game did in seven months – a tremendous feat even considering the Wii U's low adoption rate.
Doing a graphical comparison here, Splatoon 2 sells in 1 month what the original sold in 7. pic.twitter.com/KTHmitEFd5
— Game Data Library (@GameDataLibrary) August 23, 2017
In comparison, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has only sold half a million copies in Japan, despite launching over four months earlier than Splatoon 2. Even Mario Kart 8 Deluxe pales in comparison to the squid-based shooter, racking up a little over 642,000 sales since its release back in April.
It's fantastic to see Splatoon's unique ink-splatting concept get the recognition it deserves this second time around, and it's all the better seeing as Nintendo just dropped a bunch of new free content for the game. And hey, if you're looking to get splatting yourself, why not check out our Splatoon 2 best price guide?
- 56 rising esports stars added to the roster for next week’s Gfinity Elite Series debut
- [UPDATE] Razer Blade 15 and Core X revealed: Australian pricing and release date
- Detroit: Become Human Review: No fate but what we manage to screw up in a QTE
- The PS5 will launch in 2020 hints Sony CEO John Kodera
- Perth will be the first to turn when the zombie apocalypse hits