Making plans for the spring school holidays is easy with these top activities that will keep the kids entertained.
School holidays. They’re what just about every kid dreams of all term long, and it’s up to you, the parent, to find the best activities to meet their energy levels. If you’re wondering if there’s enough to keep them quiet and busy, take heart, because there are plenty of things to do during the spring break that fit the bill.
Let’s get started.
Top things to do with your kids in Sydney
Whether you’re taking a trip to the nation’s biggest city or heading into town for the sights and sounds, these iconic Sydney experiences cannot be missed.
Top school holiday activities Sydney
7 spring school holiday events in Sydney
- Take a walk through Sydney's gardens in the annual Art & About exhibition. Little Sydney Lives is great for kids as it showcases young photographer's works. 15 September to 9 October at Hyde Park.
- Skate at the Silent Ice Skating Festival. The rink is open from 10am with the silent disco starting at 4pm. 23-29 September at 28 Broadway Chippendale.
- Play with augmented reality at the Powerhouse Museum. When school's out the museum hosts all manner of school holiday programs for budding scientists and curious minds. 24 September - 10 October at the Powerhouse Museum.
- Get on your bike at the annual Sydney Rides Festival - it's packed full of family days out, night rides, film, art and food. For kids on holidays, the one to be at is Sydney Rides the Park on October 8. It's a day of BMX displays and unicycle rides in Sydney Park. Riding to the venue is encouraged. 4-23 October, various locations.
- Be entertained at the Seymour Centre. During the school break two fun productions for younger and older kids will be performed. Spot brings the beloved dog alive on the small stage while Erth's Dinosaur Zoo is a prehistoric adventure for ages 5+. 27 September to 1 October, Seymour Centre.
- Go wild at the Australian National Maritime Museum as it celebrates the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition. For kids, there will be interactive theatre shows and workshops. 25 September to 9 October, Australian National Maritime Museum.
- Tap into your creative side at an urban art workshop where they will make unique artworks from a variety of odd materials. Perfect for kids 5-15 years old. 4-9 October, 1/11 Harbour Street, Sydney.
5 ideas for free school holidays activities in Sydney
- Wander around Royal Botanic Gardens and find the perfect spot for a sunny picnic
- Explore Cockatoo Island and join one of the free events like the Convict Clues Challenge or the Ship Shape Challenge (both recommended for children 7-12 years old)
- It still might be too chilly to swim, but consider a picnic at a local beach like Manly and Bondi, to the more-sheltered shores of Balmoral or Clovelly
- Go for a bike ride or bush walk along the harbour, or through some inner-city parklands like Centennial Park or Sydney Park
- Get active at Sydney Olympic Park, where Kids in The Park offers a range of free and low-priced activities for children including segway rides, drama workshops, disc golf, and The Amazing Chase
Coupon codes and discounts for Sydney attractions and activities
Show code & visit siteBU****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Get $15 off when you spend $79 or more in one transaction. Simply enter code at checkout. Limit of one promo code per purchaser per transaction. Not valid for Gift Voucher redemptions, iFLY Indoor Skydiving Sydney products or in conjunction with the $250 Gift Voucher promotion.
Show code & visit siteEX****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Save up to 70% on local deals
Shop for dining experiences, attractions and more for up to 70% off.
Feature image: Sydney Rides The Park