Making plans for the summer school holidays is easy with these top activities that will keep the kids entertained.
School holidays. They’re what just about every kid dreams of all term long, and it’s up to you, the parent, to find the best activities to meet their energy levels. If you’re wondering if there’s enough to keep them quiet and busy, take heart, because there are plenty of things to do during the Christmas break that fit the bill.
Let’s get started.
Top things to do with your kids in Sydney
Whether you’re taking a trip to the nation’s biggest city or heading into town for the sights and sounds, these iconic Sydney experiences cannot be missed.
Top school holiday activities Sydney
9 summer school holiday events in Sydney
- Get stuck into the Christmas spirit with Sydney's plethora of Christmas activities and events. These include Christmas illuminations, Christmas lights in Cremorne, carols in the QVB, the ultimate Santa experience on Sydney Harbour, Crate Santa at The Rocks and David Jones Christmas windows. Until 25 December, various city locations.
- Learn a new skill at Code Camp. It's a program that aims to teach 100,000 kids how to code over the next two years. Weekdays, 9:30am-3:30pm 5 December to 20 January. 188 New South Head Rd, Edgecliff
- Get a history lessons at the Powerhouse Museum with its Egyptian Mummies: Exploring Ancient Lives exhibit. 10 December - 25 April. Powerhouse Museum, 500 Harris Street, Ultimo
- Watch Disney come to life in Aladdin The Musical. Until 19 February 2017. Capitol Theatre, 13 Campbell Street, Haymarket
- Build sandcastles at the Museum of Sydney's Sand in the City exhibit. 3 December to 23 July. Museum of Sydney, Philip Street, Sydney
- Be entertained by Room with A Broom at the Sydney Opera House. From the guys who brought you The Gruffalo comes another magical adaptation on the stage. 9-23 December 2016. Opera House, Bennelong Point
- Spy nocturnal animals in their natural environment by going on a spotlight prowl through Centennial Parklands. On certain evenings, rangers will escort you through the parklands to help you witness as the park's transformation as the sun goes down. 16 December to 17 January. Robertson Road, Centennial Parklands.
- Explore the National Maritime Museum with its Kids on Deck program. It features art making, games and dress ups. Every Sunday. Australian National Maritime Museum, 2 Murray Street, Sydney
- Check out Wild Life Australia Zoo's newest exhibit: Crocodile Encounter. It features interactive crawl spaces and a viewing dome that allows you to see what it's like to be in the water with the massive creature. 26 December - 26 January, Wild Life Sydney Zoo, Sydney
5 ideas for free school holidays activities in Sydney
- Wander around Royal Botanic Gardens and find the perfect spot for a sunny picnic
- Explore Cockatoo Island and join one of the free events like the Convict Clues Challenge or the Ship Shape Challenge (both recommended for children 7-12 years old)
- Take a dip at your local beach like Manly, Bondi, Balmoral or Clovelly
- Go for a bike ride or bush walk along the harbour, or through some inner-city parklands like Centennial Park or Sydney Park
- Get active at Sydney Olympic Park, where Kids in The Park offers a range of free and low-priced activities for children including segway rides, drama workshops, disc golf and The Amazing Chase.
Coupon codes and discounts for Sydney attractions and activities
Feature image: City of Sydney