A once-in-a-lifetime feat for thrill-seekers, jumping out of a plane and parachuting back to the ground is on many bucket lists.
Imagine jumping out of a plane with nothing but a parachute strapped to your back, then freefalling with the wind rushing past and watching the ground come at you. If you’re considering giving skydiving go check out our guide to the best experiences around Sydney.
Where near Sydney can I skydive?
- Sydney Skydivers – Picton
- Skydive The Beach – Wollongong beach
- Skydive Hunter Valley – Hunter Valley
- Skydive Central Coast – Great Lakes
- Skydive Newcastle – Lake Macquarie
Skydiving in Sydney: Prices, locations and more
These prices were taken from the individual Skydiving companies but you might be able to get them cheaper by booking through sites like RedBalloon which often features site-wide deals.
|Skydive Sydney-Wollongong||$249||Over the beach in Wollongong||3-4 hours||7,000 ft height; complimentary transfers; 3-month Australian Parachute Federation (APF) membership; certificate; bumper sticker|
|Sydney Skydivers||$275||Over the Blue Mountains||4 hours||14,000 ft height; complimentary transfers; APF levy; certificate|
|Skydive the Beach||$319||Over the beach in Wollongong||3-4 hours||15,000 ft height; complimentary transfers; 3-month APF membership; certificate; bumper sticker|
|Skydive Hunter Valley||$335||Over the wineries of Hunter Valley||3-4 hours||15,000 ft height; complimentary transfers; 3-month APF membership; certificate; bumper sticker|
|Skydive Central Coast||$339||Over the lakes and beaches of the Central Coast||3-4 hours||15,000 ft height; complimentary transfers; 3-month APF membership; certificate; bumper sticker|
|Skydive Newcastle||$319||Over Lake Macquarie and Newcastle||3-4 hours||15,000 ft height; complimentary transfers; 3-month APF membership; certificate; bumper sticker|
Our top picks: Skydiving you can book now
Best for price (cheapest): Skydive Sydney-Wollongong from Skydive Australia
- Freefall from up to 7,000 ft
- A great intro to Skydiving
- Experience a short burst of freefall with a gentle fall under the canopy
- Prices start at just $249
Best for value (combo of good price, bonus extras, time etc): Sydney Skydivers from finder.com.au
- Freefall from up to 14,000 ft for just $275
- Blue Mountain and Sydney city skyline views<
- Closest to Sydney CBD
- Departure lounge located in the city
Best for experience length: Skydive Newcastle from Experience Oz
- Skydive from 15,000 ft and freefall up to 60 seconds!
- Views of the beaches all the way down the coast, Hunter Valley and the Lake region
- Make a day of it and explore Newcastle and Lake Macquarie after your dive
Best for flight height: Skydive Hunter Valley from RedBalloon
- Sydney’s highest altitude of up to 15,000 ft
- Experience freefalling at over 220 km/hr for up to 60 seconds
- Private drop zone located in the hub of the Hunter region
- Check out views over rural NSW and world famous vineyards
Best for views: Skydive the Beach from RedBalloon
- Views over Wollongong and the Southern Sydney beaches
- A picture perfect beach landing
- Full moon night jumps also available!
Indoor Skydiving in Sydney:
Want the feeling of freefalling without having to ACTUALLY go up in the plane? Try indoor skydiving. You’ll gear up in a helmet, goggles and jumpsuit before feeling the force of the winds in a vertical wind tunnel chamber. These powerful winds hold you in the air, giving the effect of freefalling.
Our top picks: Indoor Skydiving in Sydney you can book now
Indoor Skydiving from Adrenaline
There aren't many people who can say they've been skydiving - indoors Jump (or fly) into the wind tunnel and let a trained instructor teach you how to fly.View details
Skydiving solo in Sydney:
You can not skydive solo until you have completed the AFF (Accelerated Freefall Course) stage 1 course. Most skydiving centres run these courses which include ground training and classroom work before jumping wearing your own parachute with two skydiving instructors either side of you. You can then progress to stages 2-9 and even go on to acquire your A-Licence Full Solo Course.
Looking for a bargain? Skydiving Sydney deals
Q&A with someone who has skydived:
We asked adrenaline junkie Shirley Liu some burning questions about skydiving - and she told us everything we’ve always wanted to know.
- What's the scariest part of the experience?
The scariest part is when you've spent about five minutes on the plane and you've realised what you've committed to – there is no backing out now.
- Did you feel safe throughout?
Yes, I did. Everyone goes through individual checks to ensure your harness is put on correctly. You're also attached to a professional skydiver who skydives as their full time job – that probably made me feel most safe.
- What is the view like/do you remember it fully?
The view is nothing short of amazing – though I think the location really matters in this case. I skydived right next to the beach, so all you could see was the beautiful beach and the mountains right next to it. I still remember it fully. When you initially drop you actually spin for a bit, so you get a full, 360 degree view in a matter of seconds.
- Which part did you enjoy the most?
The first couple of seconds when you drop – you can try and scream but you're dropping so fast that you can't even hear yourself. It's completely free-fall so your stomach drops and the adrenaline is rushing.
- Was it particularly cold?
It was, but you're wearing skydiving gear so it keeps you warm. You also wear goggles so to protect your eyes from the wind.
- Is landing difficult?
Not at all, I actually landed on my feet. Some of friends landed on their butts but it wasn't painful.
- Would you do it again?
Yes! I'd love to try a different location.
- Anything else you'd like to share?
The location you choose really matters – aim for a view you know you'll enjoy. Also, in most cases the base cost of your ticket only covers the skydiving. So if you want photos and videos, you usually need to pay extra. In my case, I opted for the video and took screenshots as photos. You'll love it! It's an experience you won't forget, promise!
*Combined rating is average of TripAdvisor, Adrenalin and Google ratings.