Where to catch these majestic sea creatures as they travel past Sydney.
There’s something utterly breathtaking about watching a whale migration by boat. You’re literally there in the thick of it, metres away from some of the largest creatures of the ocean as they travel north or south according to the season.
If you’re in Sydney, you have little to no excuse for not getting out on the boat or at the very least, staking out a coastal vantage point to see them on the move. Some of the most common whales you’ll catch are Australian East Coast humpbacks and Southern Rights, though it’s also possible to see Minke, Killer, False Killer and Pilot whales as well.
Below we’ve outlined the best deals, locations and times to catch all the action. Don’t forget your camera, now!
Best for price (cheapest):
Whale watching with Go Whale Watching from Groupon
- Spot migrating humpback whales from just $35
- See the sights of the Sydney Harbour before heading out to sea
- You’re guaranteed to see whales or you’ll get a free cruise on another day
- Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee, cake and fruit on the return journey
Best for an extreme experience:
Whale watching on a speedboat from RedBalloon
- Enjoy a high-speed offshore boating adventure for $95
- Take in unobstructed views of these majestic creatures
- Reach speeds of up to 50 knots
- Check out a close-up view of North Head as you depart Sydney Harbour
Best for small groups:
Small-group luxury Sydney whale watching cruise from Viator
- Learn all about the migration of whales up close for $325
- This intimate small-group tour has a maximum of 10 guests
- Your luxury vessel has multiple outside viewing areas and a comfy indoor lounge area
- Snack on a lunch buffet accompanied by unlimited drinks during the cruise
Best for including meals:
Oz Whale Watching from Cudo
- Embark on an exhilarating whale watching adventure from $39
- Dine on a hot breakfast buffet during an early morning departure
- Choose a midday cruise for a a tasty BBQ lunch
- Tour includes a four-hour cruise through Sydney Harbour, past Sydney Heads and back
Whale watching in Sydney tours compared
The cost of whale watching cruises varies greatly, starting as low as $35 upwards of $300 for a private experience. Day-tour sites like Viator are an ideal source for cruise options that can suit your budget.
When is whale watching season in Sydney?
Humpback whales migrate along the East Coast of Australia between April and November each year. Southern Right whales also migrate up and down the East Coast of Australia between May and November.
For more information about when to watch and the best vantage points read our guide on the best time to go whale watching in Sydney.
Whale watching cruise companies in Sydney compared
|Cruise name and length||Cruise location||Inclusions||Price (from)||Book with|
|Go Whale Watching 3-hour tour||Darling Harbour||Morning or afternoon tea||$35||Groupon|
|Whale watching on a speedboat 1.5- to 2-hour tour||Manly||Wind/waterproof jackets provided onboard||$95||RedBalloon|
|Small-group luxury Sydney whale watching cruise 4-hour tour||Campbell's Cove||Barbecue lunch buffet, unlimited drinks||$325||Viator|
|Oz Whale Watching||Darling Harbour||Buffet BBQ lunch or breakfast||$39|| Viator|
Latest deals on whale watching in Sydney
|Extra 10% off your order||Get extra 10% off on orders like sightseeing cruises, abseiling, dining, jet boating, hot air ballooning, quadbiking, scuba diving, snorkelling, scenic flights, high tea, helicopter rides, flying lessons, classic car hire, whale watching, driving and rally car experiences and more. T&Cs apply.||
After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
|Whale watching tour from $35||
|Valid until 12 November 2018, includes a tour up to three hours and morning or afternoon tea.||
|Whale watching tour + buffet lunch from $39||
|Valid until 10 October, includes BBQ buffet breakfast or lunch.||
Gift It Now
|Up to 20% off experiences||Valid on select experiences and activities like skydiving, scenic helicopter flight, kayaking, whale watching and more. Destinations include Sydney, Byron, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Darwin and Perth. T&Cs apply.||
|Up to 40% off water sports activities||Valid on select dates and activities like whale watching, sailing, jet ski, diving, kayaking, parasailing, fishing and more. Destinations are Sydney, Perth, Gold Coast and Melbourne. T&Cs apply.||
|Save up to 40% off Sydney attractions||Plus skip the lines at popular attractions including Taronga Zoo, Jenolan Caves, SEA LIFE Aquarium, whale watching cruises and more.||