The Nokia 6 2018 improves on the flaws of its predecessor in most important aspects, with its refined new design and the inclusion of Android One giving it expanded appeal.
- Android One
- Good battery life
- Guaranteed security upgrades
- Still a bulky phone
- Only a single rear lens
Nokia has refined its Nokia 6 model for 2018 with pleasing results, although it faces an uphill battle in the busy mid-range smartphone market.
When HMD Global announced its first run of Android-based Nokia smartphones, the Nokia 6 sat at the top of its affordable smartphone family, at least until the Nokia 8 came along. The 2017 version of the Nokia 6 wasn't a bad phone, but it was one that was beset with some serious design issues, mediocre performance and a lack of real standout features.
The good news is that for the 2018 edition of the Nokia 6, HMD Global has gone back to the drawing board to alleviate those issues, making the Nokia 6.1 2018 a fine budget option.
Mind you, HMD Global can't seem to decide what its actual name is. We've referred to it as the Nokia 6 2018 to differentiate it from the model that came out in 2017, but HMD Global seems to flick between calling it the "new" Nokia 6 or the Nokia 6.1 (as it was on our review packaging). This is an important distinction because there are likely still some of the 2017 models out there, and that's not going to be the handset you want.
- Rounded edges make it significantly more comfortable than the original Nokia 6
- The more colourful redesign adds in a layer of premium style
- Hardware is much the same as the original Nokia 6
- Redesigned camera app and other small tweaks make quality photos quite achievable
- Upgraded processor is a massive improvement over the original Nokia 6 and stacks up well against other mid-range handsets
- Android One status provides peace of mind with guaranteed security updates
- Nothing remarkable, but perfectly capable of all-day battery life
- USB C charging can get you halfway charged in just 30 minutes
- HMD's second crack at the Nokia 6 is dramatically better across the board
Pricing and availability
Nokia 6.1 (2018)
Second time's the charm
Stronger, faster and more attractive: the Nokia 6.1 (2018) is a big leap forward for the reborn Nokia brand.
- The Nokia 6.1 (2018) retails for $449, but you can snag one for around $330 from online retailers like Catch.
Nokia 6.1 specs
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||403|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Nokia 6.1
Latest Nokia news
Should you opt for the Apple iPhone XS or the new Nokia 9 Pureview? Read more…
How does Nokia's flagship Nokia 9 Pureview stack up against the premium Samsung Galaxy S10? Read more…
Nokia's gone all-out with the camera technology in the Nokia 9 Pureview, but how does it compare against the leading Android flagship phones? Read more…