The Nokia 6 is slightly bigger than the Nokia 5 and has a higher-resolution screen, but it's uncomfortable to hold and outclassed in benchmarks, making it hard to recommend.
- Clean Android OS
- Decent camera
- Included fingerprint sensor
- Uncomfortable to hold
- Disappointing performance
- Uninspiring battery life
The Nokia 6 is outclassed by its smaller sibling and offers very little justification for its existence.
It's been more than 10 years since Apple announced the original iPhone, and while the house that Jobs built may be sitting on top of the smartphone mountain now, back in 2007 the king of phones was Nokia. At the time Nokia refused to acknowledge the threat of Apple's simple smartphone with an easy to use operating system, and that hubris saw the company collapse, get bought by Microsoft and ultimately disappear until HMD Global decided to resurrect it in 2017.
The Nokia 6 is the top model in the trio of Android devices that launched in July here in Australia, both in terms of specs and cost. But it still rests squarely in the budget spectrum, which is reflected in its overall performance.
- Bright and crisp, the 5.5-inch screen is the Nokia 6's greatest strength
- Hard edges make it awkward and uncomfortable to hold
- Serviceable enough in good lighting conditions
- Slow focus makes taking shots more laborious than it should be
- HMD's decision to use the same hardware as the Nokia 5 leads to relatively lacklustre performance
- The promise of ongoing Android support is encouraging
- Decent stamina, but not as long-lived as its specs might suggest
- Under moderate use, all-day battery is not a guarantee
- A mediocre handset that fails to live up to the Nokia name
Pricing and availability
Return of the '90s mobile phone maestro
Nokia is back to challenge the smartphone market with the Android-powered Nokia 6.
- The Nokia 6 retails for $399, but you can grab one for around $270 from online retailers like Catch and Kogan.
Nokia 6 specs
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||403|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Nokia 6
Latest Nokia news
Should you opt for the Apple iPhone XS or the new Nokia 9 Pureview? Read more…
How does Nokia's flagship Nokia 9 Pureview stack up against the premium Samsung Galaxy S10? Read more…
Nokia's gone all-out with the camera technology in the Nokia 9 Pureview, but how does it compare against the leading Android flagship phones? Read more…