If you don't want a handset that looks like it's a budget phone, the Huawei Nova 3e is an easy recommendation. Its application and camera performance can't quite live up to its looks, but it's still a good value smartphone.
- Great design
- Headphone jack
- Fast charging
- Camera is decidedly mid-range
- Slow app performance
- Mediocre battery life
- No water resistance or robust glass
Huawei's budget Huawei Nova 3e, also known as the Huawei P20 Lite, offers a premium design to help it stand out from the mid-range pack, but it's not a terribly powerful device.
Chinese manufacturer Huawei has been making a lot of noise in the premium space, thanks to the exceptional Huawei P20 Pro, currently our favourite camera phone of 2018.
The Huawei Nova 3e, which is also sold in a number of markets as the Huawei P20 Lite, looks at first glance to simply be the Huawei P20 Pro at around a third of the price. At which point you've got to wonder what Huawei is chopping out to make this remarkable feat possible.
- Looks far more expensive than it is.
- Incorporates the "notch" design of modern smartphones.
- Good mid-range performance.
- Beauty mode provides a wide range of enhancements and effects.
- Kirin 659 processor is getting long in the tooth.
- Below average power for a mid-range handset.
- Decent but unremarkable battery life.
- QuickCharge support makes refuelling fast and simple.
- If you want a phone that looks expensive but won't leave you pinching pennies, the Huawei Nova 3e has you covered.
Pricing and availability
Huawei Nova 3e
Premium style on a mid-range budget
A slick and sleek design gives the Huawei Nova 3e all the glamour of a high-end smartphone without the steep price tag.
- You can find the Huawei Nova 3e selling online through Amazon and Catch as well as at physical stores like Big W and JB Hi-Fi.
|Display size (inches)||5.8|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2280 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||432|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||2|
|Rear camera (2) aperture||f/2.2|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||16|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 6|
Latest Huawei news
Huawei slices out a few features from the Mate 20 Pro to make the slightly cheaper Huawei Mate 20, but it's overall an exceptional handset for those on a tighter budget. Read more…
Here's what you need to know about the foldable phone plans of Samsung, Huawei, LG, Apple and more as we move into the next era of mobile phones. Read more…
Huawei's Mate 20 Pro lives up to the hype with a superb camera, outstanding battery life and exceptional style. Read more…